Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Help Getting Rid of Mice in 2010 3750FL

Alright MOC members, I need your help. Here is my mouse story. In the spring we found droppings and put out some traps in the living area, and killed a mouse. I thought I was done, but boy was I mistaken. Last week I was camping for the weekend and put the old fashion traps under the sink and behind the desk draws, and trapped and killed 6 mice in two days! Holy crap, literally! First we pulled the draws near the door leading to under the sink, and cleaned up underneath, and saw the big holes where the water lines are. So I bought some metal mesh screen, and installed it to block the hole. So far so good because they are blocked out of that area and now signs of critters. Under the desk area, we pulled the walls off of the storage area to expose under the desk and found dropping and cleaned that out. We removed the wooden vent below the stairs going up to the living room, and found dropping there and two holes leading to the underbelly with wires. The holes were 3 to 4 inches wide so I put some heavy foam over the holes and stapled them in place. So far, no sign of mice in that area. However, behind the desk we are still finding droppings and those critters are smart and eating the peanut butter off of the traps. The smart one or ones must be left. On the outside, behind the utility cabinet, you can see right through to the ground so I blocked three holes with the metal mesh screens thinking that may be an opening that they are using to get in. So we have put the storage walls back in to seal it up.

So, that's what I have done and I still have some mice to contend with. What other techniques to you recommend to catch and kill these pesky critters? Secondly, I have three hydraulic slides and the bar that retracts is about 30% the size of the hole therefore each slide is exposes an opportunity for the mice to enter the coach. I have two ideas to block these holes. First, is to very carefully mount the wire mesh to close off the holes while not touching the rod. Delicate, but possible as I don't want the rods to be damaged. Secondly, I have 1/4 inch foam with sticker backing, that I could mount to the frame around the metal rod. This solution would be susceptible to penetration by the mice or them eating it, but it has a good possibility of working.

Any help you can offer is most appreciated. No damage that I can see yet but want to prevent any from happening.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the aerosol sealant foam and redo some of the areas underneath your rig that appear that the factory foam has dried up or shrunk. Not sure where you keep your rig but if you have roof top A/C's the critters can even get in from there as well from trees. If you're not using the rig. cover those A/C's with tarp, etc.
Remember the critters are on the move right now. They may have been in the rig all winter if you store it and now they are moving out...so to speak. Droppings may be from the winter. We put stick 'em traps so I can actually get them from a success level.;;but regular traps can work too. Justsomeideas. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The only traps that have worked for us are the standard snap traps. The sticky traps have all come up empty. All the snap traps with peanut butter on them have caught all the mice we had in the rig...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Look at this link.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=44285
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey Dave,you have to put some peanut butter in the middle of the sticky traps also. I've done that here at the stick and it works well! The critters smell the peanut butter and head for it and get themselves stuck! Problem is getting rid of them them! Cats keep getting stuck too!!
Actually the posting/link that GaryM is a great link and I even contributed to it with several things I do to keep them out! Let us know what you come up with and if you get rid of the pesky little devils!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
To keep them out, I put moth balls in old prescription bottles with holes drilled in the lid. (keeps things neater) and place these in outside compartments.

To get rid of them, I use the bait blocks (normally green) from Home Depot or Lowes. These bait blocks affect the ability of the mice to absorb water. They become very thirsty and leave the RV to search for water. It doesn't help and they die while away from the rig, so no bodies/stench to deal with. I suppose it is not the most humane way but it has worked for me.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
To get rid of mice get a cat. When the mice are gone, to get rid of the cat get a dog.

Overall this is a win-win: you are rid of the mice and you've got a dog.
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
We went through H___ last year with the critters, 17 at one point, they will even get up into the ceiling.
Check all the area where they have run wire, and foam it.
As far as moth ball, dryer sheets, the dryer sheets they made the nest in and moth balls smell.
Good idea about the prescription bottle and holes, just put some cotton balls in it and put a liquid peppermint oil onto the cotton balls, it has worked for us the last few year when we closed up the family camp.
Also last year we left NH went to IN to the fall rally, to SD, MT, CO and on to AZ, 1 week after we got to AZ heard the guys running up stairs, set the traps and caught 4, then no more this past winter.
The peppermint oil has worked for us.
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
ROFL!!
What a plan!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Sunflowers

To get rid of mice get a cat. When the mice are gone, to get rid of the cat get a dog.

Overall this is a win-win: you are rid of the mice and you've got a dog.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I have 2 suggestions based on past experience as a Terminix employee.

1. Instead of peanut butter, which can be licked off and which may get moldy, use a small piece of a regular Slim Jim beef stick and make sure it is connected to the little prong on the trap lever. It attracts mice as well as peanut butter, is easier to apply, cannot be licked off, is inexpensive and has enough preservatives in it that it will probably never get moldy. (Plus you can eat the "leftovers." lol)

2. If you cannot be sure where they're getting in, sprinkle a little baby powder near the possible access points. Then you can play "indian" and track them. The powder is easily vacuumed or swept up, is inexpensive and smells good in the meanwhile.

Happy hunting.

Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote