Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Fireplace Cleanup(update)

After reading the post on here(can't find it just now) about the fireplace not working I pulled mine out today. I almost totally disassembled the top end of it. I checked the wires and connectors (as per John Kohl) then took the fan apart and vacuumed all the dust inside and there was a bunch of it. I got a small brush and wiped it all off the vanes and put a tiny bit of silicone spray on the bearings. The fan had slowed way down and when I tested it after the cleanup it ran better and pushed more air than it did when we took possession of the Big Sky. There was still a lot of sawdust inside it from the building of the rig. I also cleaned the inside walls of the fake fire box and that had long whiskers of dust inside of it. After I got it all back in place everything worked and I had lots of air movement. It took me about 45 minutes from start to finish. Pretty easy job... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,

Yep! That sounds just like ours. It was really dusty. Instead of using vacuum we used air compressor. We had taken the fireplace outside. Good thing we did because it created a huge dust cloud. I had forgotten about the silicon. We did the same thing on ours. It was actually making a noise as it turned. Had been making the noise about a year. Couple of drops of silicon and no more noise and the fan really started pushing the air out. Also the fan was so quiet we had a hard time telling if it was working!

All in all not a bad job.

And I do encourage anyone who has a fireplace to check it every now and then and clean as needed.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Beats shoveling out the ash pit on a real fireplace!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Is it very hard to get the glass out to clean behind it? I'd like to do that with mine, it's dirty behind there and driving me bonkers lol.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
quick question. i had my fireplace out the other day and noticed a hole in the back wall. it was about 8'x8' and just rough cut. i also put my arm in the wall to feel around as to why this hole was there. no insulation in the wall there either. did you guys notice a hole? and why is it there? vent maybe????????
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
On mine anyway, there is an annular space between the exterior wall (slide wall) and the back of the cabinet the fireplace is mounted in. This space has wiring running up to the TV and there is a hole in the wall for access. No insulation is necessary, as the wall itself is insulated.

The only insulation you are going to find in the wall on these is the 2" styrofoam sandwiched between the outside laminate and the inside paneling. There is bat insulation in the ceiling, and a rolled insulation under the floor however. That doesn't mean you can't add it in those space you find as an extra benefit.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Blamb,

Once you get the fireplace out of its cubby hole you can just lift the glass out. It certainly looks nice once you clean the glass and the insides. Caution... the glass is heavy and a bit awkward to handle.

There is a considerable amount of unused space behind the heater and between the wall. The only hole was between the fireplace space and the garbage can space. And it was just large enough to get the electrical wire through.

If you'd like to see the wall insulation you can visit our Picasa photo page and open the album on Chuck's RV.

HamRad
Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Got up up this morning to a cold rig, the heat had stopped working on the fireplace, no heat and no fan. I will pull it out later this morning. The fan motors on these units is very weak, barely turning the squirrel cage. They really need a more substantial motor for the fan. I think that the heating element overheats without the fan and shuts down. I will call Dimplex tomorrow and see what they have to say... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,

I believe you are correct. They must have a thermal overload sensor in them. When our fan quit completely the heating element quit just a very short time after. As soon as the fan was working again the heating element came back on. Good luck troubleshooting the fan. I'll bet it is just a loose wire or perhaps the bearings need more cleaning and lubrication.

Let us know what transpires.

Dennis
Old 12-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, Sorry about your fireplace. That's why I believe in the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Actually if I tried to do that it would end up in worse shape than when I started. I have left mine on all evening (never overnight), say from 6pm to 1130 or so, and it has never quit (knock on wood).... Good Luck on the repairs....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dimplex has been very good to us, sending a new glass front and two squirrel cage heaters to us at no charge.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael,

Thanks for the good info. That is nice to know.

Dennis
Old 12-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
If you take the fireplace out make sure you check that the set screw that secures the power cord to the fireplace electrical is tight. I had a fire in mine that burnt up all the plastic parts. Glad I was home at the time.

Did I mention that I am not the only one that had this problem.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote