Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Got our Rig Repaired

During our recent cross country road trip, the sheet metal panels over the wheels and on the living and dinning room slides were damaged when on extending the slides they struck objects cemented into the ground. Both slides had holes punched into them and were ripped lose on one end. I used metal screws to secure the damaged side panels to the rig. Our rear bumper also made contact with a yellow steel pole in back of a toll booth on the bridge that takes you into Destin, FL. The bumper was scraped exposing the fiberglass. You would have thought we were a B-17 returning from a mission over the Rhineland.

We know the managers of our storage lot (they too have a Monty). We asked if they knew of any local RV repairmen in the greater Jacksonville, FL area. They had a card for a local guy who has done work for other clients who also store their rigs at the facility. I placed a call to the guy and he met me the next morning at my rig. His estimate to replace both side panels, decals and all was $2,500. He also suggested I file a claim with my insurance company. I filed a claim with USAA and gave the adjustor a copy of the estimate. The adjuster told me to go for it and that it would have cost much more if performed by a dealer. That was 2 weeks ago. This afternoon, the local guy called to tell me he was within 30 minutes of finishing the job. Doris and I drove out to pay him and were tickled pink to find the K9HAUS back in perfect shape and looking like new.

I can recommend the RV Repairman to anyone in the greater Jacksonville, FL needing repairs. Send me a PM for his name and telephone number.

Oh, I am not affiliated with him in any way other than as a very pleased customer!

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I enjoy reading good reports where the customer is pleased with the end results. Glad to hear everything has been fixed to your satisfaction.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joe-n-Doe, Glad to hear your repairs came out so good. I am concerned about your comment about "Our rear bumper also made contact with a yellow steel pole in back of a toll booth on the bridge that takes you into Destin, FL. The bumper was scraped exposing the fiberglass", BECAUSE: We have a 30 day reservation at Destin in November. Is this something I sould be overly concerned about when I get there or was it just a fluke??????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Phil.

I assume you will be staying at the MWR RV park. If you have never been there before, be advised it is at least a 30 minute drive from I-10 and depending on time of day and season of the year traffic on U.S. 90 into Destin can be heavy. Anyway about the toll bridge. Doris took the far right lane. Almost immediately after clearing the toll both that lane ends and you have to move one lane to the left. She must not have seen the yellow post and we didn't feel the bumper make contact with it. However, when we parked the Monty at the RV Park we noticed the damage. My recommendation is that you not take the far right lane. OBTW, you will need $7.00 in cash for the toll. AND anticipate very tight spaces at the RV Park.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joe, left lane it is, 7.00 and tight spaces. How did you like your stay there and how long to Eglin, if you went there???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Phil,

We just overnighted. It was the last night of our 2 1/2 month adventure. Although we wanted to spend a couple of days and nights there, our daughter had some medical issues requiring us get home. If you haven't already done so, take a look at this link: http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/in...d=76&Itemid=38 It shows the layout for the RV park. We were in site 6 and it took us over 45 minutes to back the rig into the site and that included help from 2 backing experts. Even then, we were centered on the pad and not to the right of the backing stripe. Be aware of stanchions and steel BBQ pits on pipes cemented into the ground and their relationship to your slides. That is how we damaged our slides. There are sites there that are easier to back into than others (corner sites). Consider calling the reservation center and requesting one of those sites.