Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Electrical

Need some help !! My inline 30amp buss fuse blows every time I try to lift or lower my front electric jacks,I cant figure out what might be causing the short and thus blow the fuse. Has anyone else experenced this and if so, what was causing the problem. I will be calling the dealership, but with $4 bucks a gallon I hate to spend the fuel money to drive back to them if I can figure out the problem. I would think this would be a simply problem to fix but maybe not.

bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum I guess. I see down in the "trouble shooting" forum this has been an on going problem. I have never heard of this happening with the other trailer brands and have never had an electrical landing gear problem with any other trailer I have owned.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My inline fuse is 40 amp. Here is an active topic about that fuse.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
There has been a lot of discussion about this on another thread here, you might check it out. One thing you might look at is the fuse holder where the fuse is blowing, does it list 30 or 40 amp fuse. Also might check that motor is secured properly and not binding, or that other parts of the landing legs are not binding. I am sure others will come on to help also. Good luck.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We have blown two fuses on our 3465 while raising the landing gear, but have not had any trouble extending them. I wanted to mark the leg and blew the second one trying to find out how far the legs would retract. With the new dropped frame the legs are short and stubby compared with the previous type and they need to be retracted almost all the way to have enough ground clearance. Ours fuse holder is labeled for 30amp fuses and uses the mini type fuse which is quite small.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:39 AM   #6
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have another spin on this replied on the other thread for this problem that I had a 30 amp fuse, what I didn't tell you that it is a 30 amp mini in a full size fuse holder, so hows that for strange? So if mine ever blows do I put the mini back or a full size??
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Either one will work but I would go with the larger one to get more contact surface with the fuse holder.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Check the wiring and make sure all connections are tight. A loose connection can cause a higher current draw.

Edited: Plus the other's comments.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Thanks for all the responses. I figured it out yesterday, then called my dealer. They advised the frame had been lowered on my model from previous years. I explained to them what I had to do in order to utilize the full range of the landing gear. So for anyone who may encounter the same problem here is what I figured out. First I lowered the gear all the way down and marked that point when the fuse blew. Then I raised the gear all the way up and marked it again. The very second you reach these two points the fuse will blow. So when unhooking you really have to lower the landing gear way down then pull the jack pad pin. The pad is not extended near as far on this new frame. So got it all figured out, thanks to all for the suggestions.

Bryan