Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
TV-Satellite hookkup

My new 300RK has a problem with the tv cable hookup. There is a dead short in the system. I removed the short jumper cable next to the stereo labeled cable/satelite. The satelite side has a dead short in it. I bypassed this and then went back to the closet where the booster is. One side of the booster labled 2nd tv also has a dead short. (Using my ohmmeter on the center post and then the other end on the outside it registers a direct connection) No other connections do this.

My thoughts are: the satellight (I don't have one) wire is shorted and the booster is also shorted in that one connection.

I have bypassed the shorted areas and only have cable hookup at this time. Someone have thoughts here?
Thanks.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
grampachet,

The first thing you might check if you haven't already, are the connectors on the suspected coax cables. The braided shielding may have a stray wire grounding out.

JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thanks Jolu,
I have checked the ends that I am able to reach. The one end of the satellite cable next to the DVD player is shorted. I do not know where the other end is, which may be the problem. I will continue to look when it is a better time. The Saturday before Easter is a busy day for a pastor, but DW and I are taking the next two weeks off to spend quality time with the grandkids. We will end up in Wilsonville OR for a few days, heated pool and all, then back up to Randal, WA with the other set of grandkids. We expect to have a great time in the new 3000RK.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Grampachet,
Make sure when you are measuring you are doing it with the back side to the connectors unhooked at BOTH ends. There should be absolutely no connections when you Ohm the cable. It's easy to unscrew the plates on the wall and disconnect them. Tie a string or something around them to keep them from falling down inside the wall. If you still get a reading then the short is in the cable.

If you keep it hooked up to the amplifier you will get a resistance reading.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Yes, I have everything disconnected, and still get a short reading. However the black coax that goes into the wall, I guess it goes to the batwing, shows a dead short. I have not gone up on the roof to check it out. I dont think it should show a short, should it?
With the booster out and disconnected from everything it still shows a short on the post that goes to the second tv, living room tv. The other two connectors do not show a short.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Darn it God's messenger should be exempt from problems! I agree you should not see conductivity to center conductor...although what type of ohm meter are you using? Digital tends to be over sensitive and a real resistance reading even in this new age is to use the old Simpson 260 analog meter as it has good DC current output to derive appropriate resistance. Digital meters are confounded by the "auto scale" convenience and a high impedance introduction to existing circuit. Best to eliminate all conductance to ground by;
1) Disconnect both ends of coax being tested....reading should be infinite
2) Short circuit discovery may be traced within roof by locating skylights...
a) Disassemble interior trim to allow access into attic cavity in hopes of tracing cable
b) Do you read similar short at Antenna end? If yes...back to dealer for fix...if used
c) Options to reroute new feeder cable to antenna?...dependant on config of your unit maybe do-able or impossible...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Grampachet,
It is my opinion that if the coax is hooked to the bat wing then you will see resistance. To check the cable you would have to disconnect the cable from the antenna (bat wing)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I have an appointment with Camping World, Burlington, WA to have it repaired. We purchased it new, Feb 28th so it is their problem to fix. They have been very friendly to work with.
Actually this is the first thing we have bought new in our lives, other than furniture or less expensive things.
We just returned from our first trip out with it and what a good time we had. Within the first 100 miles on a narrow section of I-5 I ran over a truck mud flap and ended up with two flat tires of Easter Sunday after noon some just South of Everett. The Man upstairs was still looking down because we ended up at a Sears tire store that was open and after I took the tires off one at a time and wheeled them in and they were able to repair them. Yes, I have my torque wrench and checked the lug nuts three times in the 50 miles or so.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
In my 07 most of the cable ends had a short. the installers just did not care enough.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thank you for your input, every one. The Montana is in our driveway and all washed up ready to go. However it will have to wait until the end of June to hear the laughter and squeals of the grandkids again.