Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Another ruined awning

John Hogan's torn awning

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have wondered if an awning lock is needed on an electric awning?
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
photo bucket having site maintenance it says. Ozz is John there where you are At? If so tell him I have sent him 2 e-mails, and he has a package I sent him . Wondering if he has a laptop with him and if he received the package ok. Thanks
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Waldo, I think it would. The awning arms are not what failed, on johin's, or mine. The wind comes under, billows up the awning material, then gets more air, and more upward force.
Tom, he was trying to get up and running, but has not as of this time.
You might try Bill collier, as he is a neighbor of John and Christa. He answered the Rio Grand area post this morning.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
OK, just wondering because in the 10 years I had my TT the awning never had a problem. I would put it on my new trailer and then forget one day to unlock it and hit the button to extend it and break something,hmmm choices..
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

Photobucket still down - what physicall failed or broke on his electric? The motors are gear reduction attached direct, and I can't spin it with all my might.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK, think of the tons of wind energy that powers a sailboat. Much the same principal with our awnings.
I am but a simple fix-it-man, but if I were an engineer, I could speak better to the problem.
I know when I was in Lonnie land, the wind got under the fabric of my rolled up awning, billowed it up a little, wind took it's lead and 15 foot of awning was flapping in the breeze. Had to crawl up on the roof in 45 mile and hour winds and cut it off with my Spyderco knife. Just as John and thousands of other RV'ers have had to do.
Like, Bummer man.......
(I think the site is up now.)
Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
photo bucket up and running now! washed my truck windows , came back in and seen the mishap. Thanks Ozz' man, I know that John e-mailed me and the day he was leaving was 35 to 40 mph wind, but he wanted to get outta Kansas before the snow hit. 82 here i stopped for a couple days before going in to gulfshores. was gonna leave wed but weather saying strong winds and rain so will wait toill thursday when its sunny and calm.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
We have a question - when the awning is rolled up, are you flipping the latch at the end so it is in "unroll mode" or is the latch put in the "rolled up" position.

If the latch is left in the "rolled up" postion, how does the wind open the awning???

Thanks for the answer?
Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
The latch doesn't stop it from unfurling. if the wind catches it just right, away she goes.
Ever since seeing OZZ's pics about it last year, I've had a lock on mine. I didn't get the same model (thought I did), but it works just fine.
Peace of mind is a wonderful thing...now if I only didn't have to worry about my tires...

Sorry about what happened John...I'm thinking you'll have one of those gadgets with the new awning...even if OZZ does it for you...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Not on the payroll, but his site is good at explaining:
http://awninglock.com/
Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Think of the Awning Lock as a Safety Device (such as air-bags, or seat belts), if you're like most drivers, you have never had to rely on your car's safety devices to protect you. But if the day comes when you need them, you'll be glad that they're available. As many people have stated in a number of threads concerning awnings unfurling in high winds, NO ONE thinks it will happen to them (based on their past RV experience). Personally I think $ 40.00 for a manufactured device, or some work, and a little less cash for a DIY Awning Lock, is a small price to pay to prevent a problem that can , but probably will NEVER happen.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I bought an awning lock. I put it in a safe place for keeping. You know the rest of that story!!!!

Apparently the A&E Awning that comes with the Monty is not 'geared' for side gusts and will unfurl and shred it.

I hope John's insurance is a gracious as mine was and he gets to upgrade to the 9500 with weather protector.

As soon as I find the safe keeping place I'm going to see if the awning lock fits the new upgrade.

For those that missed it, Lost My Awning Thread

Picture of awning
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I am trying to picture how the awning can do the sail act without the tube rolling. I see folks down here in the RGV with the awning out in 40 mile winds. I would say with the awning out every day and with all the stress that is put on that little lock latch, that this is some of the problem.The awning stll bounces and puts stess on the only lock that the awning has. Then we add the sun shades front and sides, with a mile of straps and bungees, all which will add stress to the latch. I will get back to the old days when the wind blew a little we all ran to get the awning in, now everyone thinks it is fine to leave it out. Do we have a tracking of this and has anyone ever did a history on how many of these awning were out for long periods of time in winds? Do we have a history on the latch as to how many were broken or wore out?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #15
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

I am trying to picture how the awning can do the sail act without the tube rolling. I see folks down here in the RGV with the awning out in 40 mile winds. I would say with the awning out every day and with all the stress that is put on that little lock latch, that this is some of the problem.The awning stll bounces and puts stess on the only lock that the awning has. Then we add the sun shades front and sides, with a mile of straps and bungees, all which will add stress to the latch. I will get back to the old days when the wind blew a little we all ran to get the awning in, now everyone thinks it is fine to leave it out. Do we have a tracking of this and has anyone ever did a history on how many of these awning were out for long periods of time in winds? Do we have a history on the latch as to how many were broken or wore out?
When the awning unfurls in high cross winds the awning tube DOES in fact roll, the forces overcome the ratchet pawl, and allow the tube to rotate as the fabric unfurls.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I lost my first awning in New Mexico, it was when we had our '04 Keystone Sprinter. The awning had never been unrolled, the lever was in the correct position. The extremely strong wind was blowing directly into the side with the awning.
There is one story, new awning, never unrolled.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #17
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I put a mid span support on last 5W and now on the Monty at advive of my father-in-law, stops the flexing and bending of the tube, also hope it would help stop the bollowing.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I had one on that Sprinter, it was so long, it needed it, but didn't help with the billowing. (On mine)
Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #19
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have ordered mine today. Keith Williams who seems to be the proprietor seems like a very nice and helpful person.

I don't really understand the mechanism by which this happens either, but I have sailed, and do have some appreciation for the forces of the wind.

I did have my awning replaced once for other reasons, but I came to realize that A&E awnings come with more than one type of roll lock mechanism. My first had some type of friction brake, the newer one has a ratchet mechanism that clicks. I suspect this mechanism is a more positive lock, but I'm putting on the Awning Lock anyway.

Thanks for the reminder Ozz.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet. A nice post from a nice guy.