Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
srandall
Established Member

M.O.C. #7605
Camp Site Set Up

My husband and I are planing our 1st 5th wheel trip this weekend and really need to know what we need to do to get everything ready so when we get there it is not midnight by the time we sit down.

We know about plugging our 5th wheel in and have the adapters needed but seem to be confused by the tanks. We will not have water directly available at our site but close by. We can fill it before we leave but need to know what hoses do we use. We were supplied a white hose labled "for drinking water" and believe it is for a direct connect to a water supply at the individual site. Do we use a separate hose to fill from our home water supply. Our neighbor says he uses the same hose to fill his unit and to flush it. We hold 60 holds of fresh water but have no idea how to tell if it is full other than the obvious if it starts back filling.

The dealer said to always keep some water in the black tank. Is so how much

Very much appreciate any info

Robert and Sharon

srandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum!

First - don't EVER borrow your neighbors hose for ANYTHING .

You might sit down with your manual one more time before you head out. Not sure what model rig you have, but most of the manuals give you a pretty good overview. It sounds like you understand it a little better than you think.

If it has the new docking station, you can fill the fresh water from there and let it overflow out the rear fill, or you can gravity fill into the back fill until it overflows. I always use the white hose to fill or hook up to the city water connect. I keep a gray hose to connect water to the black tank flush, and never use the gray hose to connect to the fresh water side or visa versa.

Next - Enjoy that first trip! Take notes and make a list of stuff you'll need for next time. No matter how much you prepare, you're never prepared enough for the "maiden voyage".
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The white hose is to be used strictly for fresh potable water and never for any other use. Where that fresh potable water comes from is not a issue. It can be from your home, campground or where ever as long as it is potable. Never use the white hose for flushing the black tank due to the possibility of contamination. When breaking down, never let the ends of the white hose to get dirty. I also take the time to be sure the white hose is totally drained before putting it away. It is also never a bad idea to connect both ends together before storing.
A separate "garden" type hose should be used for the black tank flush or washing the TV or Monty but should never be used for potable water. The color of the garden hose is no matter so long as it isn't white.
Like Brad said "If it has the new docking station, you can fill the fresh water from there and let it overflow out the rear fill, or you can gravity fill into the back fill until it overflows. I always use the white hose to fill or hook up to the city water connect."
When I am finished dumping and flushing the black tank with the "garden" hose I shut the black tank dump valve and put in a few gallons thru the flush valve before shutting down the flush hose.

Sometimes getting everything done right seems to be a daunting task but after a few trips it will become second nature. I try to use the same routine every time I set up or breakdown so that is becomes a habit. A habit that I can live with.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
First, welcome to the forum. Now,I think Brad and Glenn did a great job for your first trip out. I'd like to add that when you add a couple gallons of water to the black tank WHEN you leave, be sure to add some chemical to that tank for storage. I know Glenn never uses any but he is full time and doesn't need it. If you are going to let the Montana sit for any amount of time, week or two, make sure the next time you get it that the odor doesn't knock you back out the door.
Also drain out the hot water tank when sitting that long, may cause a rotten egg smell the next time you use it.
You've come to the right place for questions about your Montana, there is a wealth of info here! Enjoy!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
What Glenn said about connecting both ends of the hose together when stowing is a must if you want to prevent any contaminants (ants, creepy crawly things, etc) from getting into your hose. As Glenn said NEVER use any other hose for filling or connecting to your city water input than the WHITE hose. And as Brad mentioned, NEVER use your neighbor's hose (no matter how well you like him/her). You don't know where it's been or what it's been connected to.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
First- find a check list. There are lots of them around including on this site. You may modify the list after you use it awhile but I assure you, if you don’t use one you will eventually make a very expensive mistake.

Second, get the rig as level as possible. I have a long post about how to do that and I will send it to you if you like.

I agree with everything that has been said about the water. If I am hooking up to a campground post I put on a Y first. When I disconnect I turn off the water supply and open the unused side of the Y. Then I can disconnect the water from the trailer and roll it up. The water runs out the Y and then I disconnect and fasten the ends together.

I agree that you should not borrow your neighbor’s hose for any purpose and I would be very suspicious of any other advice he gives you.

Next electric. Turn off the breaker on the campground post, plug in your cord and then turn the breaker back on. If there is no breaker, I plug into the post first and then the trailer. Reverse the process when you pack up. Many of our members use a circuit tester before they plug in but I have never, in 30 years, felt the need.

When you leave, go to the dumping station, drain your black tank, hook up a green, black, brown anything but white hose to the tank flush, keep the drain open and flush until clear. You won’t know unless you use a clear adapter to hook hose to camper. Then drain the galley tank and finally the gray tank.

Enjoy and come back often
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Since you don't have water directly available we are all assuming you don't have sewer hookup at your site and will be using a dumpstation. I have been to a place that had sewer but community water points so they do exist. "IF" you do have sewer hookup available you do not have to set it up when you first arrive. To prevent the sewer line gasses from venting into your unit through the sinks and shower you should keep your dump valves closed unless you are actually dumping. The tanks are designed to hold the water - use them to do that. Dump when you have to. You should be able to go at least 3 days without having to dump so don't fumble around in the dark that first night trying to hook up sewer hoses.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Bill, If all your traps contain water you should never get any sewer gases into your rig. You have a trap for the kitchen sink, the vanity and the shower. The toilet bowl should also have water in it. If you are getting sewer gases I would run water into each trap to be sure they are doing their job. If you still get sewer gases my guess is you are having a problem that needs attention by your dealer.

I gotta go with ols1932 "NEVER use your neighbor's hose (no matter how well you like him/her). You don't know where it's been or what it's been connected to." I have seen neighbors use their WHITE fresh water hose to rinse out their sewer hose when packing up. A HUGE NO NO!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A couple of the most valuable items to take in my opinion is a carpenter's type or some other sort of level and boards or similar to allow you to level the 5th wheel from side to side before lowering the front jacks if you are on an uneven site. If you are already aware of this then the only thing to do is to just get the inital trip over with, learn from it, make your own list, but most of all have a great time. I agree with everyone about the white hose, ours is drinking water only and we do conect the ends together when storing.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

The "other" reason for keeping the tank valves closed is to prevent built up of solid wastes on the bottom of the tank and allowing them to dry. Once dry, they become concrete. Not saying you get solids in your gray tank (at least I don't think so), but you can in the galley tank pretty easy.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
My two cents.

Here is what we do when we set up:

1) I stop where I think I am most level, by looking at the huge level on my pin box.
2) I get out of the truck and look at where the connections are and if there are any obstructions to the slides, like a power pedestal, rock or tree.
3) I adjust per the above and make sure I am level by using leveling blocks, if necessary.
4) I chock each side by placing a chock in front of the front tire and behind the rear tire. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS!
5) I drop the front landing legs. If I use 1 leveling block on the driver side, I use 1 leveling block on the corresponding leg.
6) I unhook from the TV.
7) I level front to back, using the same pinbox mounted level.
8) My DW takes our dog for a walk.
9) I put on my Nitrile gloves and connect the Sewer Solution to the sewer.
10) I connect the GREEN hose to the Sewer Solution to a Tee at the back flush.
11) I connect the GRAY hose to the Tee at the back flush.
12) I discard the gloves in a plastic grocery bag I have attached to one of the barn doors for the driver side basement.
13) I tell my DW that she can open the slides when she wants to.
14) I use a bleach solution and spray the spigot.
15) I connect another Tee to the CG spigot and connect the GRAY hose to one side.
16) I connect the water filter to the other side of the Tee and then connect the WHITE hose to the filter and to the Monty.
17) I make sure the breakers are turned off and then connect our power cord to the CG power. We use a SurgeGuard.
18) I connect the other end of the power cord to the Monty.
19) I turn on the breakers.
20) I put down the stabilizer jacks in the rear.
21) I set up the BBQ, using the extend-a-stay hose connected to the passenger side propane tank, sneaking the hose out thru the bottom where the landing legs are, such that I can close the propane cabinet door.
22) I have a cocktail while my DW does her inside setup.

For our water connections, I use quick disconnects from Home Depot - the heavy, brass ones; not the cheap brass replacements they have started to sell. The heavy ones do not leak and I can do all of the above in about 20 minutes or less. As with others, when I tear down, I connect all hoses to themselves, again using the quick disconnects. I also dry/clean each hose and power cord while putting them away. I do try to keep the hose ends out of the dirt, but can't always achieve this end, so I again use the bleach solution after rinsing away any dirt.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I pretty much do the same as Michael and Kathy, EXCEPT, I plug my EMS PT50C box into the CG electrical box to check their power first. Don't want to get all set up and have something wrong with the CG Power. Just a quirk of mine......Roger that on the white hose.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You know, Phil - I think I will modify my setup routine accordingly. You make good sense!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #14
terry
Established Member

M.O.C. #5999
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by srandall

My husband and I are planing our 1st 5th wheel trip this weekend and really need to know what we need to do to get everything ready so when we get there it is not midnight by the time we sit down.

We know about plugging our 5th wheel in and have the adapters needed but seem to be confused by the tanks. We will not have water directly available at our site but close by. We can fill it before we leave but need to know what hoses do we use. We were supplied a white hose labled "for drinking water" and believe it is for a direct connect to a water supply at the individual site. Do we use a separate hose to fill from our home water supply. Our neighbor says he uses the same hose to fill his unit and to flush it. We hold 60 holds of fresh water but have no idea how to tell if it is full other than the obvious if it starts back filling.

Robert and Sharon

terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
terry
Established Member

M.O.C. #5999
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by srandall

Robert and Sharon

Old 10-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
terry
Established Member

M.O.C. #5999
Trailer Life Directory, Left colm. "checklists"
http://www.tldirectory.com/index.cfm
Old 10-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
May someday save you some time and frustration Michael. I pulled into a CG in Canada on my way from Alaska and they advertised 30 amp power. When I pulled in the manager said they were down to 20 amp. I plugges in and tried the microwave and power blew. I check the cg breaker and it was a 10 amp. The only breaker in the box. What a liar......I did not have my EMS at that time.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote