Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Camp Stove Anyone???

How many of you use a camp stove (not BBQ Grill), for outdoor cooking? If so, what kind? And, do you leave things outside when you are sightseeing?

Thanks for the suggestions

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
We still carry and use our 30+ years old Coleman stove. It's the only thing left accept the lantern from our orginal tent camping days. We only use it now when we go on a big family camping trips and we all cook breakfast outside. I really like cooking bacon and sausage outside so the mess and smell is not in my camper. This stove uses portable propane bottles. Hope this helps Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto wswebster, only our 2-burnerColeman stove is only about 10 years old. Uses the 1 pound propane bottles. Also have the Coleman Roadtrip grill and are looking at getting the stove burner attachments that let you use pots and pans with it. Like the ease of both since they use the small propane bottles. Leaving things outside usually depends on familiarity with the campground. Most places we are familiar with we leave everything outside but occasionally lock up the bicycles. Guess it all depends on each persons comfort zone, particularly since we are usually staying in rural campgrounds, other than Myrtle (Come on Summer!!!!)
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
We have a large Camp Chef Campstove that we originally got to use for canning, since I have a flat top stove in the stick house. When we started camping we were excited to use it for a dual purpose. We really like it. We put it away when we leave and it's an easy breakdown.
HTH.

Marisol
marisolwithsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
We also use our Camp Chef stove, and we're fulltimers. You can also use those wonderful cast iron Dutch Ovens on the top of this stove, and we have the one burner Grill Box that fits on top for grilling.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hmmm...I may have to look into this. I have a three burner stove that could be used for a few things. I'd love to be able to rotisserie chicken, cook breakfast outside, etc. The Weber might get supplemented...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We carry a coleman road trip and an extra propane tank (This is in addition to our mini Big Green Egg). As Bill and Stacy said, we cook outside whenever possible to keep the mess and smells out of the camper. Besides, I am more comfortable cooking outside. We even have an outside kitchen at our stick house.

We also carry a couple of dutchoven style pots and fry pans as well as a wok. While a bit heavy, these are important to our life style.

Some of the people we travel with carry a deep fryer style burner. These are light if a bit awkward. They can be used for about any style cooking and sure come in handy when we catch a mess of fish.

Finally, we found a stainless percolater for morning coffee, It will also do cowboy coffee. This is definitely an outside item, Best coffee around where ever we are set up.

Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We also carry a Coleman "Road Trip" propane bbq/stove. It's the one with the folding legs so we can use it on top of a campground table or set-up the legs.

We sent away to Coleman and bought the storage bag and extra grates, so we have two of each grate: bbq, griddle and burner. It's a joy to cook outside on it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
we use our campstove for breakfasts in the great outdoors, as well as some cooking for the evening meal. question for Dean E Victoria: WHAT is Cowboy Coffee? i am looking for a stainless perc pot also, need to check some local 2nd hand stops ...
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Just like Margee we also have a Coleman "Road Trip". We cook outside whenever we can. Love the Montana but we like to do as much camping activities as we can outside. We haven't got the extra grill and griddle yet but do have the two burners. Then when it's time for bed or the weather is crummy we have the luxury of the Montana.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:29 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We carry a "turkey fryer" and extra propane bottle along with a good cast iron dutch oven. Fry fish, or use the large aluminum turkey pot to boil crabs or crawdads.(all the wild turkeys in Port Mansfield sure were tempting) We'll have the electric rotisserie with us this trip.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:45 AM   #12
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
i got to get me one of those Dutch Ovens yet. when it is just DH and myself, we use the Monty for some of the cooking, but when the kids join us, they prefer as primitive as possible and do all cooking in the firepit or dug out holes in the ground. we find ourselves doing more outdoors then also. i do greatly enjoy breakfasts outdoors but am even more grateful for my "in-house bathroom" and comfy warm bed in my Monty! so we get the best of both worlds, i guess. we also have a table size propane grill attached to a larger propane tank, not the 1 pounders. the tank moves between the Coleman gas grill and our table grill as needed. life is good!
Old 09-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Rhonda and Brad,
"Cowboy coffee" is boiling coffee in water directly. When it is deemed sufficiently strong an egg shell is tossed in to cause the grounds to settle to the bottom of the pot.

BTW, we also carry a large version of the Italian Espresso maker. It makes two full cups of good coffee when we dont need a full pot. But, none of the grounds floating in the cup like there is in the cowboy stuff.
Dave
Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Put us on the list of the Coleman "Road Trip" grills. We haven't had this until recently.
Kevin loves to cook outside. And I enjoy the fact that the cooking grease is not in the trailer (especially when cooking bacon). Kevin perfers not to cook on propane, he like BBQ better. But lately some of the camp grounds in the Sierras will not allow anything but propane cooking outside, because of fire danger. Soooo, What does Kevin do, he just doesn't buy a little propane cooker for those times. He buys the best,versatile one he could find. Aaaaaaargh!

But I shouldn't complain, it keeps the cooking outside. And he does the cooking....I prepare the salad and relax and read and wait for dinner.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We also have the Coleman road trip with the grills and griddles. Want to get the stove top accessories. I also still carry my Coleman 2 burner stove. Had it a long time.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Don't have a camp stove, don't want a camp stove, would not use a camp stove, sound too much like 'camping.'
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
thanks Dean e Victoria for getting back to me about Cowboy Coffee. That sounds like the good ole Dutch Egg Coffee that i recall from many years back. Now I know what they threw in the egg shell . It's good coffee! I, too, get to sit with my feet up while DH grills the evening meal ... just add salad or veggie or fruit, and set the table. Soemtimes i even feel guilty .... but not long
Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 AM   #18
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
For Outside cooking, which we do alot of, I use a Butane stove that can be used directly on the tablecloth without fear of heat melting the tablecloth. It can be used indoors, as that is what the original design was for. It heats water and cooks at a higher heat, thereby reducing the amount of time needed, and run very efficiently on the butane bottles, which look like a hairspray bottle. Easy to get out at any rest stop for a hot meal.
We also use a portable gas grill, the cheap less than $30 ones you find at wally world or such. This will last for three or four seasons, and is small and easy to store. it uses the 1 pound propane.
And I always pack my cast iron, two dutch ovens and a skillet. Recipes for potatoes and onions on the campfire, apple dump cake and cowboy drop biscuits and many others. I use the skillet in the mornings over the butane outside stove to cook bacon, or will fry fish or chicken to keep the mess and smell down in the kitchen. We seem to do most of our living outside and alot of sitting and observing of others lives from underneath the awning. The dog loves to watch the kids, so we sit out all the time, or take her to the nearest stream and field so she can swim and run.
The butane stove we have used for 13 years, and bought it a the local hardward. I have seen them at the home stores, marketed as a fondue stove or something to that effect, but they look more like a hot plate. Lights first time and easily controllable. Will heat up oil to fry fish faster than my father in laws road trip grill.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #19
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Devildog is right. The RoadTrip grill does not get very hot. I've looked for an alternative regulator but so far unsuccessful. This is the biggest drawback to this product.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I really like my Baby Q by Weber. Not big, but just right for the two of us. I did do 6 steaks on it for sister and BIL and niece and nephew in law. Just have to giv it time to heat up. Clean up is fairly easy. All in all, a good, not great, two person bbq.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote