Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
flyerone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5263
Mountaineer underbelly

One of the many problems that I had with my new Mountaineer, the underbelly was cut open, they said to do something with the tank sensors. They said they were out of the special tape they use, so they sealed the cuts with duct tape. Now the duct tape is coming off and I'm wondering if I should make them replace the whole underbelly? It seems crazy to me that they think I should just except that there are cuts in the lining!

flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not acceptable..Duct tape..are they kidding.If there is special tape that will restore it to like new then Ok..but not duct Tape..There IS a special tape that is used because I used it on our previous TT and it held up years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The kind of money we spend to get a better camper...I believe I would insist on a better repair.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
flyerone,

I am just curious as to why they didn't remove a section to do the repair to the tank sensors and then put it back. The underbelly of my Mountaineer is covered with panels about 2 1/2 feet long that reach from side to side. I have opened the belly to re-attach a dump handle and then just put it back in place. If it were mine I would insist that the panel that had been cut be replaced. Duct tape is not sufficient. It the panel can't be replaced then I would think they should use Eternabond tape or a similar product that is a permanent solution.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
I agree with fulltimedreamer, there is no reason they should cut into the underbelly panels. They are very easy to drop down and do repairs, I have done it many times with no problem.Larry & LaVonne
Old 04-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Can someone tell me about this tape? My Montana is like fulltimedreamer's Mountaineer, it has panels that overlap with bolts holding them to the frame. There is no tape on mine. So would someone please enlighten me? Thanks.

Some areas of the belly pan will not easily drop because of things like the spare tire holder being bolted to it, propane pipe in the way, etc. I could see in that case they might have taken the easy way out and cut the pan. If this is what they did then I'd insist they replace the entire panel. It sounds like they tried to save themselves some effort and then tried to convince you taping it back up is sufficient.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote