Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Pensacola NAS, Free Blue Angels show

For those of you who are retired military or DOD, we recommend the Oak Grove campground at Pensacola Naval Air Station. The setting is very nice on Pensacola Bay. On Tuesday and Wednesday mornings the Blue Angels give you a free show right over the campground. And the Naval Aviation Museum just down the street is something to see!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
zzuroweste1
Established Member

M.O.C. #3581
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

For those of you who are retired military or DOD, we recommend the Oak Grove campground at Pensacola Naval Air Station. The setting is very nice on Pensacola Bay. On Tuesday and Wednesday mornings the Blue Angels give you a free show right over the campground. And the Naval Aviation Museum just down the street is something to see!
Hey have you guys been down there long? I was down there last week and talked with gentleman who gave me a brochure on the montana and that is what I bought...I will be stationed in pensacola as of june 1 and was wondering if you could offer me any information on the sites availble on base and at the blue angle park site. Any help with contacts, prices, and other information would be great. Thanks Zach
zzuroweste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
The Blue Angles are amazing aren't they?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Zach, we just left there today but our camping was for short term, $21.00 per day or something like that. If you are active duty, you should contact MWR, Morale, Welfare, Recreation office and see what info they can give you for long term parking. Monthly rates are different, lower, in fact. They had some long term parking but I suggest you contact the above office soon for a reservation. If they don't have the answers, they will direct you to the right contact. The park is right across from the airstrip.

The Blue Angels are awesome. Such a sound of power. Made me feel very secure. Even though they perform for entertainment, I know there are many who are flying to protect us and it made me feel very thankful. Thanks to all who serve. Judy
Old 04-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
WSe just rolled into Blue Angle this PM. Two night stay, $20 total. Adequate sites for our 3655FL, but not too many other big rigs here at the moment.

Park is a bit run down, probably residual from the hurricane(s)of last year. Headed for Patrick AFB early next week.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
PJ & Nan, we didn't get over to Blue Angel park but there is a lot of hurricane damage all over that area. You'll see even more if you drive around. And it's 7+ months after the hurricane struck. Our neighbors were at Blue Angel but moved to Oak Grove as soon as there was an opening so at least that's their preference. The Naval Aviation Museum is awesome so if you have a free afternoon, don't miss it. Did you end up camping near Montgomery? Judy
Old 04-28-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Judy:
We missed Montgomery...came here via US 49/98 from Jackson, MS through Mobile. Fine road..no problems.

We visited Oak grove this AM for comparison purposes. We sort of like the "rustic" arua of Blue Angle, at least for a couple of days. Visited the museum last trip through here, probably will do it again. Still LOTS of damage, everywhere. Almost an overwhelming situation, but they will get a handle on it, but will take a long time, as you noted.

Headed east from here, to see the Sopchoppy Opry this weekend. Should be a "hoot". Then off to Patrick AFB for a month.

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:13 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sopchoppy Opry? What is that? That's a new one on me.

We'll have to check out the Blue Angel Park. We saw the entrance when we drove over to Foley to the outlet mall. Is it near the water? We had a site in Oak Grove that gave us a view of the Bay out our back window, which was nice.

We drove through the state park at Gulf Shores where we had camped just before the storm. What an incredible change. The scrubs used to be as high as the Monty giving you a lot of nice privacy between the sites. Now they are gone and only a few scraggly trees remain. They have a small area opened and are working hard on the rest. It must have been overwhelming when they first returned from the evacuation.