Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Ticks on poodle while camping

We are going on the road for a couple of months in May up north. In the past our poodle has gotten a few ticks even though she is on advantage which does not protect her against them. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to prevent them getting on our pets?
I'm thinking of buying a pet collar.

TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use Front Line on our animals. Our stick home is in the woods and ticks are everywhere. It keeps the ticks off as well as the fleas. You have to apply it monthly. This year we were gone for January and February, normally not a problem, but when we got home our German Shepard had a couple of ticks on her. The kids took care of her, but no one thought to put the Front Line on her since it was supposedly winter. We put the front line on and they dropped off after a couple of days.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Miya is on Sentinel but when we know we are going into wooded areas we purchase Frontline and apply it. They can be used simultaneously.

Check with your Vet for meds your pooch is on and see if there are any problems.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
We have a large Lab and use K9 Advantix II It's good for various types of Ticks. We go up to Oregon quite often and never had a problem.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Put garlic in their food in addition to collars and Frontline.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As others, we use Frontline on the cat and the dog (not the same type though) and have never had a problem.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Wow! Ultra doggie breath!!
No wonder the ticks fall off ...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Put garlic in their food in addition to collars and Frontline.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
It is important to understand how the chemicals work. Plese do not overlap treatments as they can overpower your dog and cause real complications. Some meds go well together and some don't. Talk with your vet about what is right for your dog. Even the breed of dog can make a difference.

This site compares products.
http://www.healthypets.com/compare.html

This site explains what the individual ingredients do. Be sure to scroll down on the page.
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/d...gredients.html

Good luck controlling these little devils!

Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
When we know we're in a tick area we simply start scanning the guys very closely. We've found 2 or 3 on them in the last couple of years. Even with their back colors it is fairly easy to spot the ticks. We then just pluck them off and dab the area with some oinment. We used to do the chemical collar type thing but gave up on that. It did not seem to work too well and I started to worry about what effects the various chemicals might have on the little guys. So far it has worked great just doing the close inspection. Good luck. Dennis and Mary Kay and the Boys
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Haven't tried it yet, but have heard good things about cedarcide:

http://www.cedarcide.com/

One of their products is a natural tick repellant, hate to use the chemicals on the little guys.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have our vet give Abby a shot to deal with lyme disease, associated with tick bites.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ok, I know my fur kids do not walk in the woods, they go out to their crated area, go potty, go back in Tana. They rarely are walked in campgrounds. One reason, other big dogs that are not restrained and charge and chase us. Another reason, they have weak immune systems, they are old, they are both in pre-heart and pre-renal failure health conditions.

I cannot use the chemicals on them due to their weak immune systems. I have found ticks on them, or fleas. Mr. G must be allergic to fleas cause that poor dog will go ballistic if there is a flea on him.

My vet tech suggested I wash them with Pert human hair shampoo, green bottle. She said they use it on very young kittens and puppies, even fur kids that are sickish.

It works for us. What a nice surprise. I don't remember seeing another tick or flea since I started using the Pert.

Not guaranteed to work on your field running fur kid, has been pretty successful on my house bound old sickly ones.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Ali is taking advantage multi because frontline didn't work as well. This also has heartworm control in it. Talked to Vet she reccommended a tick collar for a mear $45.00. Thanks for everyones help, will do more research on everyone's suggestions. Thank goodness she's white so those ticks can be seen pretty easy.
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
The way I understand it, the standard flea and tick meds work by putting a chemical in the animal's blood...the tick/flea bites/draws the treated blood and then dies. If the insect was carrying a disease, like lyme disease, the animal may now be infected. A couple years ago we were alerted that ticks in Maine (up north?) were noted to be carrying lyme disease. We now have Abby treated every year prior to our trip up north.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
We use Frontline Plus and (crossing fingers) have never had a problem with fleas or ticks. Good luck & have fun!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #16
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Frontline every month and never had a problem with fleas or ticks and we live in MO. Wish they had something for me and my loving CHIGGERS!
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
While Lyme disease started in Maine and eventually made its way to other Northeastern U.S. states, this was decades ago. We checked with several vets and they all admitted that Lyme disease has been found in victims (human and animal) in all lower 48 states. For that reason one of the regular shots we were giving to our fur kid is a Lyme disease shot. We no longer have our pet, but if we get another, that one will get the shot too. As for us humans, we are still taking our chances, but we are pretty good at communicating and knowing where we've been to help with any issues we might have while our pet is not as good at doing those things.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote