Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Traveling with pets - is this idea OK?

We have 3 cats, 8 years old, who have never traveled except to the vet's. They HATE being put into a crate (of course).
We were wondering if they would be OK if we closed them in the front bedroom of a 3655 SA (which is possible) and let them ride there during traveling time?
Our only concern is whether it would be too rough for them riding in there, or not. By the way, we would be going only 200 or so miles a day with frequent stops along the way, during which we would check on them and give them water, check the litter boxes, etc.
We think they would be more comfortable and relaxed than in a crate in the TV, if the ride would be OK. (My guess is they would probably be curled up on the bed - but who knows with cats - lol.)
Does anyone know, from experience, how the ride is in the front bedroom, over the 5th wheel hitch, in a 40' 5er?
All responses appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The problem is not the ride, it's heat and the very real possibility of carbon monoxide poising from exhaust entering through vents and leaks in the rig. I wouldn't do it.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Larry, My cat has ridden in the Montana for the last three years and loves it. He doesn't do the truck. He just curls up on the bed, we usually leave the covers ajar so he can crawl under the covers. We put a water bowl within the dogs bowl for water and food on the kitchen counter. He does have access tohis litter box. BTW: Don't know if this would make a difference with yours, but ours has always been an indoor cat. My CO monitor has never gone off so I don't believe that would be a problem. dog travels in truck with us. This is just my procedure and it may not be the best, but it works for us. Safe Travels....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Larry I think the ride in the bedroom is the softist and mos comfortable for the cats, but if in the rear of the trailer I think you would have a cat in a bag situation when you opened the door.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have some friends who have a couple of cats that travel in the trailer from time to time. They are pretty good travelers. You do not have to worry about the carbon monoxide levels in these trailers. There are plenty of holes to let in air. So even if outside gases got in they'd simply pass right thru the trailer.

Our dogs ride in the truck with us. They are happy little travelers.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
We had a cat travel with us. He always rode up in the truck, he did not always like it but we had a board fix up so he could lay between the seats, he liked it when he could see out. That way if he wanted he could get up and into his crate or use a small litter box we had for him on the floor plus some water. If you are worried how your cats will do in the trailer. Put them in there on the bed with some of their favorite toys and have one of you get in the with them and take them for a ride. This way if they freak out you will be able to see and not after they have traveled in there for a ways and now your bedroom looks like a bomb went off.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Larry,
Our cat and dog both travel in the rig when we travel. Both are crated however. For comfort, we use the large crates and for the cat I constructed a wooden stand that fits inside the crate. The stand allows for the litter pan to be placed beneath it and atop the stand we place a pillow for riding comfort. The entire front half of the crate is open and equipped with a scratch pad. The dog's crate is equipped with a bean-bag chair for comfort. In cold weather we run the heater (55-60 degrees) and in excessively hot weather, we run the air conditioner (powered by a generator in the rear of the pickup connected to a front receptacle which I installed for this purpose). We monitor the temperature in the rig with one of the weather station gizmos equipped with a remote monitor. Have used this system for years and as far as I know, neither of the pets has developed hatred-intensive personalities. Even after last years fiasco, where the heater wouldn't work due to DOD (dumb old dad) forgetting to disengage the battery lockout. For those non-PETA types (I felt bad enough myself) both fur coat equipped animals survived the temperature in the teens through Tennessee with no problems. The primary reason we crate is the cat has not been de-clawed and I could invision arriving at our destination, opening the door and beong subjected to air-borne Montana upholstery tatters!!! This information is provided as our example, and is not intended to persuade anyone else as to the proper manner in which to transport pets.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Both of our cats ride in the bedroom too.....one is usually curled up on the bed or the couch sleeping and the older one crawls beside the bed and rides there. Our oldest one who is 11 rode in the truck one time and when we brought him back to the 5th wheel to use the cat box he would not get back in the carrier. So we just stop every now and again and check on them and they seem to like it.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Larry,

All depends on the cats, some will be fine, others may freak out with the movement. I removed the back seat of my extended cab and intalled an Ultralite cage. Added a full divider in the middle, making for two levels with a pass-through hole so they can use either level, but if traveling with some that don't get along in confined spaces the opening can be closed. The cage is mounted on a frame, so we have storage space below. It's strapped down with a ratchet strap and bunge cords (doesn't move). Let two ride in the rig for just a short distance and found them hiding in the corner of the bed platform. You just need to experiment and see what works for you.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Get a wireless baby monitor to keep tabs on tabby while you're traveling. When we first tried leaving our huskies in the trailer, in their crates, I listened to what went on back there. They were at the back of the trailer, the most active end of the rig. They rode back there once and with us ever since.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Firetrucker - That was an idea I was thinking about but how do you power the baby monitors? The ones I've seen are 110v. This also allows you to hear the carbon monoxide alarm just in case.

How about adding a wireless camera to monitor the bedroom, too? The camera would be in the BR and the monitor could be installed in the truck's cab. This way you can watch the cats as they bounce off the bed during bumps, or hold on real tight to the bed covers with their claws as they attempt to prevent from going airborne.

Interesting news - I've heard that declawing cats is becoming illegal, at least in Santa Monica, CA. I've had my share of cats and hated their claws but never sought having them removed. Now with DW's allergies they won't be in our future, but I do love 'em, especially the apathetic attitude. One look at you and I can hear their thoughts, "I don't need you". Gotta love that.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Art, the one I have, brand name "The First Years," model 3808, operates on 6V. the receiver can be operated on batteries or a 120V adapter, and the transmitter on an adapter. Either one could be operated on external batteries. I don't think they make this model anymore, but there are several others on the market, including one that includes a camera.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote