Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #21
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks Old GI you have come to my rescue. My tube is white and has crumbled to the point I have just enough tubing sticking out the vent to keep the condesation from getting on the floor.

Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 AM   #22
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
I don't know if the setup for the fridge is different on all models, we have a 2007 3400RL so our fridge is on the kitchen slideout. We really had nothing to lose since the white ribbed tubing was totally shot. When we pulled the funnel out of the back wall of the fridge it came out easily with a little careful twisting. I took the funnel with me to Lowes and asked for some very soft and pliable tubing. The clerk showed us a section with more types of tubing than I thought existed. We matched the tubing to the funnel so that it would be a real tight fit. We heated the tubing in boiling water to allow it to stretch then rubbed a little cooking oil on the funnel tip and forced the tubing over the end of the funnel about an inch or inch and a half. I fed the tubing through the hole in the back of the fridge until Mama could grab it from the outside, as she pulled gently on the tubing I pushed the tubing through until the funnel end touched the hole in the back wall, I then gently twisted the funnel back and forth and it went right in with the tubing on the end until It stopped at the fridge wall. I tested it by pouring water into the funnel and it works just fine. In our fridge we lifted the tray that catches the water from defrosting and on the left side of the rear of the fridge is the funnel that guides the water from the tray into the tubing.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #23
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Well, I finally managed to get a photo of the fridge drain uploaded. I was using Photobucket, and somehow I cannot post pictures any more from my album there.

As you can see, the drain (on our fridge) is made to lock in once it is pushed in place. The back of the fridge is about 2" thick, so even if I could have gotten to the drain on the back side, I couldn't have released the clips on the sides. Since I couldn't find tubing to fit through the hole, I went with the high pressure pvc at the marine store across the street.

Please do not take this as a rebuttal of Old GI's post. This is merely the way our fridge is. Yours may be different. Before you pull the drain out, I would suggest going to the PPL Motorhome online parts book, pulling up your particular refrigerator by model number, and looking at your model's drain tube.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #24
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Went to the site, here are prices for my 'fridge:
Cup, drain $6.99
Tube, drain $9.99
Plug, Drain $6.79
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #25
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
I have a 255RL and had the same problem. Only the end crumbled so I kept pulling out an inch or so as the end crumbled. I took the 5ver into the dealer for some unrelated work and the repair tech fixed it without my mentioning the problem. He attached the hose to the top/inside of the refer opening, behind the grill, with a "U" shaped 1/2" hose clamp, positioned so the hose drained into a vent slot in the inside of the grill. When the grill is attached, the hose is not exposed to the sunlight but drains easly through the grill. A $.10 fix.
mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #26
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Slickwillie's picture is what our little funnel thing looks like. Mine pulled out from the inside with a little gentle twisting and pulling. I took it to Lowes and searched through all of their hose lines for very soft and pliable clear plastic tubing that just fit over the 3end after heating it in hot water so it would expand enough for me to push the tubing on about 1 1/2 inches. I then fed the tubing through the hole in the back of the fridge and again with gentle twisting and pushing with the help of a little cooking oil it slid right in ...it works just like new but there is no way that the new tubing will deteriorate.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote