Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
DOGGIE RAMP

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this query but we have an elderly dog who is having trouble manoevering the steps going in and out of the trailer. I would like to build a ramp for her to use and was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas. I would like to have something lightweight and portable, something I could place down over the existing steps while she was going in and out and then move the ramp out of the way so we could use the steps. It would also have to be something that would be easy to transport as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. Our dog weighs approx. 25 lbs.

Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There are ramps for cars, trucks, vans, etc. You would have to look at the specs to see if they would work for you, show people use them alot, but, so do a lot of other dog lovers.

Try Doctors Foster & Smith at: DrsFosterSmith.com

or, usually more affordable: J-B Wholesale Pet Suppliers, Inc at:

jbpet.com

Good luck finding a solution for your fur kid.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
http://www.petstep.com/

This is what we use for our Golden Retriever who finds the truck is too tall to jump up into. It folds easily and will support up to 200 lbs (i think, it will say so in the literature) so we can walk up it ourselves, or use it as a stretcher, etc.

We've used this for 3 years and it works as advertised, and is easy to carry in the bed of the truck or folds flat for storage. I think I bought it at Petco, Petsmart or something like that, but I have been on their website before.

much easier than trying to build one, and lighter weight.

Good luck with your pup.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
Thanks to everyone for the info on the pet ramp. I certainly will be checking out your suggestions. Thanks again.
Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sandy and George Lewis have one for their "little puppy."
Maybe the will jump in here.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We use the Petstep to get our 60 lb. Siberian Husky up into our BIG truck, also as a ramp into the trailer. It has been worth every penny.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
A neighboring rig was using a 2 x 6 covered in carpet for his small dog. The ramp was approximately 4 ft long and rested on the top step. They left this in place full time as it didn't interfer with either the door or thier use of the steps. Bob
PS: I'm considering this myself as hoisting two dogs in and out is getting old.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Yep we have one for Rocky. When we got the higher truck it was not easy for him to "jump" in. And we didn't want him to jump out! So at a dog show we found a booth that sold the ramps and use it all the time. It is so neat-it extends and then will retract so that you can store it in the back of the truck and we have even stored it in front of the back seat. I'm sure we're saving Rocky's joints by using this. Since we bought ours friends and family have also used purchased one.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
We use a foldable, aluminum pet ramp that has rubber mat on the ramp, so no slipping when wet. We bought it at Petco or Pet Express, can't remember which.

We were on a trip in Prescott, AZ and suddenly our 12 year old lab wouldn't jump into the truck one cold snowy day, just couldn't do it anymore. We had to pick her up, one of us at each end, and put her in and she's heavy! So we had to buy whatever we could get that seemed appropriate. The ramp has been great, she uses it every time and seems grateful for it. She can still make it up the steps in and out of the RV, go figure, but we have put it there for her to use as well. Works wherever you put it. It wasn't cheap though, about $150 as I recall, but it is a quality ramp. Good luck.
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #10
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
We have 2 ramps for our 13 year old border collie. The one for the FW we bought at Petco/Petsmart?. It is made by Jeep and is a trifold
with a non slip surface on it. When traveling it fits in the door step and when stationary it fits right behind the recliner next to the door. For the truck we use the old ladder that came out of our toyhauler. I cut a piece of chipboard covered it with indoor/outdoor. Once he is in the truck I just slide it in to the bed along side the hitch. The underside or ladder makes a good handle
to move it with.
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote