Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #21
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
I'm glad to see all of this attention to our shackles. My rig is currently at the dealers awaiting authorization for repair & replacement. We had a field fix in New Hamp. when a rear spring hanger (the one welded to the frame at the rear of the back set of springs) collapsed and dropped the frame down on the spring. Then in Arizona last week (the day before we were to get home in Calif) we found a pair of shackles had actually torn through and again the springs were jammed up against the frame. We were a hundred miles either way from any place to get parts, and I was not feeling good about what was before me. When I came back across the street I saw our fellow RVer with a funny look on his face while he was holding something up for me to see. As I got closer I couldn't believe it. He had changed his shackles out for the 'wet' set about 5 years before & had tossed a couple of used ones in the bottom of his toolbox. I could have kissed him - on the lips!!! An hour later we were again headed for home & the next day the rig went to the dealer for installation of new hardware. I had looked at the shackles before leaving to go on this trip but, as we all know now, you have to give things a close inspection, sometimes even removing the nut to see if the hole is wallowing out. I didn't. I should have! mike

ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #22
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,

We saw your rig the other day when we took ours in for the fridge fix. Sorry to hear about the shackle problem. But you had plenty of warning. It is really hard to tell if they are wearing! You can look right at them and not see that they are almost gone. I'm glad you didn't have any trouble controlling the rig with the damaged parts. And just how lucky can you get! A guy walks up and gives you the very parts you need just to get home! Now that is a good story. What a small world.

Take care and see you soon.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Am I reading this correct..This is on a 06 3295..a 06????? How many towing miles is on that thing. These shackles were according to keystone tested and after 45K of simulated miles have '''''normal wear. Is that 06 3295 a typo???? I replaced the shackles with a wet bolt kit after about 12K miles on our 06 3400 and they were showing Light wear. I would be a very unhappy camper and wearing out the phone lines to keystone.Montana, Dexter, Mor ryde and perhaps a couple of other places... Was the shackle failure a result of the spring failure????? makes no difference..this is a 06 right???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #24
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Rich, my Montana is a '04 3670RL with approx. 10-12,000 miles.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #25
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Doug,

I think Richfaa may have been asking about Mike and Ronnie's rig. It is an '06. Wow! Were they ever lucky! Are you going to post some pics of those great looking new spring hangers and shackles? Those are some hefty items.

Dennis
Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes I am like dumbfounded that a 06 Montana would have that kind of shackle wear???
Old 11-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #27
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Rich, We have an 2007 3400RL and had to replace the shackles, found the bearings in the springs were gone and had metal to metal wear in addition to the shackles.
NO Warrenty or help from Keystone even though it is less then a year old.

1999 volvo 610 pickup
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #28
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wow! Robb, how did you get 45K on a less than year old rig? Yes. It is a maintenance item but if it's less than a year old you'd think they'd realize there was a problem of some sort. And it probably is NOT a user related responsibility.

Did you talk with Team Montana?

I'm not sure I understand your "1999 Volvo 610 pickup". Do you have a 610? Or do you have a pickup ?

HamRad
Old 11-07-2007, 02:01 AM   #29
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
HamRad,
This unit has been back to Keystone twice, second time was to repair what they did the first time, then had to deal with "Susan".
Same as grease in brakes, "not their problem"!! Did their electric test and sent it back out, anything else "not their problem".
We have a 1999 Volvo 610 that I use as a pickup, drive it everywhere.

Robb

2007 3400RL Montana
1999 Volvo 610 Pickup
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 AM   #30
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I just replaced the equalizer & shackles on my TT w/Trailaire Equa Flex using a floor jack with a 2x6 on edge to raise BOTH axles at the same time (could have used a 4x4 if I had one). Made life a lot easier. I replaced the equalizer & shackles first then raised the axles and used a C clamp to install the wet bolts in the spring ends.

I used a 3 ton jack stand in front of the wheels & a 12 ton hydraulic jack behind the wheels.

Will road test it on my way to TX in Jan '08.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well the "not their problem" statement makes some sense IF the camper was over the 1 year Keystone bumper to bumper warranty.I found my seals had blown requiring all the brakes be replaced. My 1 year Keystone warranty was up so I did not bother to talk to them but went to dexter direct..there is a longer warranty of the axle assembly. Dexter did not pay the entire cost of then replacement but did send me a check for over 80% of the bill. If you unit was within the 1 year warranty and Montana turned you away I would be calling a different number at Keystone... If it was within the 1 year warranty period it IS keystones problem..
Old 11-07-2007, 04:42 AM   #32
Dennis Korchak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2419
Well guys, after reading all the comments on shackles, I decided to check mine. I have a 06 3295rk with about 9000 miles. First thing I noticed was all the nuts on the shackles were only finger tight. I took the nuts off and looked for elongated holes etc. All looked good with no wear. I re torqued all the nuts to 60 #. Looks like I will be checking these more often.. Lots of good info on this site..
Dennis Korchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #33
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Doug,

I think Richfaa may have been asking about Mike and Ronnie's rig. It is an '06. Wow! Were they ever lucky! Are you going to post some pics of those great looking new spring hangers and shackles? Those are some hefty items.

Dennis
Dennis, This is the best I can do for now, as you can see the new plates are three times as thick as the factory shackles plates, and the equalizer is “Large” and heavy……….
Oh the new shackles plates say that they were made in “India” I guess it better than “China” right??????
http://picasaweb.google.com/oldguard1/Shackles

The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #34
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bill,

Wow! Now that is what I'm talking about. All you macho types really know how to do it right.

Thank you for posting the pics. They are great!

Dennis