Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Toilet repair

...so here we are...all set up in Door County...great site, lots of trees, quiet, wireless. Life is good.

Go in to use the bathroom, hit the flush, and a gasket blew off the top of the toilet valve and sprayed water all over the place!
Upon further investigation, it turns out some particles of wood were inside the water lines and worked up into the valve until it no longer could allow water passage. The next thing to go was the seal do to the pressure.

Fortunately for us, there was a Montana dealer 18 miles away - got a new valve for 22 bucks and all is better again.
The toilet is working better than it ever has , so if you notice poor flow during a flush you may want to clean that valve out and make sure there are no obstructions.

...and since we were at a Montana dealer, we just had to take a look around. They had the 3585SA that I've been wanting to show my wife for some time, so we sat in there for a bit...sure do like that plan.
Wifey told me to wrap it up and take it home...

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozzie, did you do like a good husband and listen to your wife?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
So are we going to get to see the new 3585SA in Branson in 2008 ??
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I knew showing her that rig was going to get me into trouble...as much as I'd love to get it, my immediate work needs won't allow me to be without my topper and tools.
Things do change though...and if I see daylight, you never know what can happen...

Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bruce, problem solved.Tell Pam to work a extra shift or two and purchase you a small enclosed trailer. It would also make getting your tools in and out easier. You could also advertise your business on the sides.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Dennis, I'm one of those guys that will take a lot of my smaller tools with me. I'm always fixing or coming up with stuff to do anywhere I go. It's my nature, so why fight it.
My bigger tools already go in the work trailer, but in order for me to get to a 5'er, I'd need some type of boxes that flush up with the bedrails. Can't give up that bed.

It so happens that I found that 3585 online for 30% off...close to 43k.
One can always dream...even if we won the lottery, that unit would fit our needs nicely.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
When you have a TV and Montana that are both paid for it's not real hard to pass on newer equipment for us. DW always looks at shows and dealers. I just stand around saying no thanks.
Sorry got off topic there.
We had so many problems with trash in the toilet valve that I installed a filter in the line.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well ozzie , thats the same unit i'm looking at the 3585sa for the full bath so you can sit on the can and think of what will happen tommorw ,, where did you find it at 43k john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hey Ozzie, I will make sure that one of the units on display in Branson will be a 3585SA, make sure that you get your best prices up there, so you have some firm figures.. I am sure that Barry will beat them. You will have enough of us friends to probably switch everything in a couple of hours. Oh, that depends on how you blend those margaritas. Remember RichFaa is thinking about coming down to Branson also. We will have plenty of help to get all this done. Bring the MIX..
Looking forward to seeing you guys. HELLO PAM good lady telling Ozzie to wrap it up. Your a dealers DREAM GIRL. Looks like that $18.00 toilet valve MAY COST YOU MORE NOW... ho ho ho John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
There was a 3585 Montana this year in Branson. Campbud was there with their 3585. It is a beautiful coach.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Yup - I saw it when I was out walking our dog and visiting one day...
Never was able to get my wife in to take a look though, she just got her first look at the dealer and agreed it fits our needs.
We are rear kitchen folks...we like the way it opens up the space.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Not to hijack this thread but yesterday I added a 2" riser beneath our toilet. This meant I had to extend the water line. What did I do? I bought an on/off valve from my RV dealer and it was exactly 2" long. I installed it and now I don't have to go outside and turn off the water whenever I want to clean the seal in the toilet. Not a great handyman but handy enough! Had to raise the toilet because of my impending repair of my original knee replacement (13 years ago).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:04 AM   #13
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
No worries about hijacking the thread Orv...it's kind of like the way a conversation flows anyways. Besides, this thread actually started about toilets...
I was checking prices of a taller toilet too once I started looking for parts. I may look into that idea of a spacer.
Just this morning I was also thinking of a quick shut off for the water on the toilet. Since we have awesome flushing power now after replacing that valve, I see it's a bit wasteful to use so much water flushing yellow.
Normally I'd be ok with that, but here we have no sewer. I think the ground must be all rock because all the lines are above ground.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Man, just shows how one thing leads to another...
Ozzie, I got the 4 door so I have the back area full of tools. Next year I will re-install my deep weatherguard box and have more room. Hope it works out for you guys, you do have a very nice trailer, very livable.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thanks Ozz...very true, you know...our trailer does work out well for us. We made a good choice when we bought it.
When I start crunching numbers for a new 5'er reality sets in.
As much as I would like to move on up, I just don't think it's a wise move for us for a while yet.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #16
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
No, I'm not going to apologize for bringing this topic back to toilets. Here's my question.

My toilet has no water pressure. I suspect junk in the lines. How do you clean out the the line or the valve.

Is it easy for me to do, I'm fairly handy, but cautious.

Or, I also have a problem with slide awning spings and end caps that I will take to a dealer to fix. And I could have the dealer clear the valve.

I thought about using air pressure to blow out the line, but would hate to pop the tank. Nor do i know where the valve is located.

Thanks for any advice, The Rainbirds
Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #17
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Go into the basement and get to where the water line comes in from the outside. Disconnect that thing and all the others that you see that might be a problem if you blow it out. Then blow the lines out from the water connection on the toilet. In our previous fiver, we had the same problem and had to do the above. It takes a little work and time, nothing hard, and it sure helps the water pressure. Make sure you disconnect the line to the water heater, you do not want to pressureize it. Now we get junk, black glue from the factory in our lines and continually have to clean them out at the faucet heads. That glue must be cheap, cause they sure used a lot of it
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote