Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Lubrication Question

We have the axle hubs that are lubbed with a grease gun. The manual says to pump in grease until it starts to exit through the return ports around the grease fitting. On the first three, it took about 15 to 20 pumps on the grease gun before grease appeared coming out. However the last one (forward-right side) only required about 3 pumps. I made sure the grease gun nozzle was connected properly.

Here's the question. Is this normal? If so, why?

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Normal should probably be only a couple of pumps! The one that took 15 to 20 must have completely empty! If it were me I'd immediately have all the wheels pulled and the bearings repacked. That way you know they are starting out full. Then a couple of times a year give them a couple of pumps.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dave e Victoria,

RVBUDDY gave you the best advise. I pulled mine last year. To me 15 to 20 pumps meant the inside reservoir had a lot of space left. The one comment I want to make is make sure you are pumping slow and steady when using this method. DO NOT use an air powered grease gun. The grease goes in the fitting and comes to a "T" just before the rear seal. The grease comes out and meets the resistance of the rear seal and moves out through the inner bearing, into the reservoir, through the outer bearing and then you see it. There is more resistance with the two bearings then the inside seal. Too much pressure at one time has the grease escaping by the seal onto the brakes and you know what that means. I turn my tire slowly and work the grease hand pump slowly, a lot easier if two people do it.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:26 AM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I'd pull the wheels to make sure the seals have not let any grease by. I'd hate to discover this when I really needed the brakes to work. Sounds to me like they took a ton of grease and I don't feel that's right. My best guess is the drums are full of grease from ruptured seals.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would also worry whether grease got past the seal and into the brakes. It could have been just a void in the reservoir like also was mentioned.

Dave, my dealer told me at delivery to put in two squirts per year and only two. Eight months later we started fulltiming. More miles, so grease more often, or so I thought. So I did two squirts twice per year. This past July I had him check the brakes and he told me I am overgreasing. He reiterated two squirts per year and stated 'even though you are fulltiming'. I now will do two squirts per year and check the brakes every other year. When the brakes are checked the wheel bearings get repacked as part of the procedure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:10 AM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Thanks for the advice, folks. I wish the manual had the "two squirts" advice. It makes sense. I remember back on the farm (oops-- that is 47 years ago -- seems like yesterday) tractors often had grease fittings on the end of axles. It was common for over greasing to push the seals out.

We have a short trip scheduled today over to Parker AZ. I will test the brakes several times as we start out and then schedule complete inspection service next week
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
nutts
Established Member

M.O.C. #2189
the wheel need to be turned when greasing the bearings. so you want to jack up one tire at a time and spin the tire to alow the bearings to except the grease.

jim

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

We have the axle hubs that are lubbed with a grease gun. The manual says to pump in grease until it starts to exit through the return ports around the grease fitting. On the first three, it took about 15 to 20 pumps on the grease gun before grease appeared coming out. However the last one (forward-right side) only required about 3 pumps. I made sure the grease gun nozzle was connected properly.

Here's the question. Is this normal? If so, why?
nutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:59 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Your dealer never added any grease before you got the 5er. Now that you've done the "pre-delivery service" one or two pumps now and then will do the trick.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The dealer shouldn't have had to add any grease before delivery. These things are towed from factory to dealer, they're not trucked. So the grease should be there from the factory.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:36 AM   #10
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
i posted on this subject last year, but will repeat myself. had a blown grease seal on one wheel,over greased right from factory.
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:29 AM   #11
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Au contraire Steve... they don't even adjust the brakes before they come off the line. The factory does nothing eventhough they may be towed to the dealer.

Big surprise to us as well.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote