Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #21
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If you have the 80psi wheels then i would install the Michelin XPS ribs. These are a 10 ply ALL STEEL tire like the Sailuns. I had these tires on a lighter rv years ago and they are just as heavy as the Sailuns except 10 ply instead of 14 ply. The Michelins are very under rated.

Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #22
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVNCheng View Post
If he has all his maintenance records and you're still in touch, I'd pick his brain about issues he might have had and guidance concerning any maintenance you might be unfamiliar with.
My son-in-law was adamant about buying my old TT just because I'd maintained it and am perhaps a little OCD when it comes to maintenance. Every corner Jayco cut when they built it had been made right. I suspect you'll find a similarly delightful experience.

Then just pay attention as you go. My '10 3400RL was not well cared for (and it was NOT evident when I bought it) and I've been wishing a 7 month flea infestation on the previous owner and / or the service dept at the CW where he may or may not have had it serviced. For example, the rear axle still had the Dexter EZ-Lube dust caps but the first time I went to grease the bearings there were no ZERK fittings - upon removing the hubs I found two different spindles on the axle. For the life of me, I can't imagine someone installing two DIFFERENT spindles on the same axle. (When I convert to disc brakes, I'll likely replace the axle because I can only imagine the thought process behind and circumstance leading to this mess)

Again, a 10 year old well maintained trailer is (IMHO) worth a whole lot more than a new one with a warranty. All of the demons have already been exercised
I bought a 2012 295RKD. I find it built better than newer ones. The lack of documentation was a surprise. Thank you Montana Owners club
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:22 AM   #23
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
A missing suggestion. Lub (oil and grease) the landing legs annually. After talking to Lippert recently, I realized a quick squirt of grease did not do the job of getting lub on the screw/nut assembly that make the unit lift/lower the rig. Otherwise a great list!
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #24
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
learn to hate water

Look carefully for any rusty screws. They could well be a sign that water is somehow getting in where it shouldn't. We bought a 2003 and went through a lot of grief because of water getting in. (check out "Bedroom slide" under maintenance. Aparently water was getting past the bottom trim and end cap pieces. I ran a piece of eternabond tape over the problem area. Your Monty might have a better trim setup but be aware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rusty.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	2537  
Billhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #25
Joe S

M.O.C. #8990
Could you give more detail on tv replacement
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #26
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Have owned 2003 3295RK Monty for many years. Only major fix was replacing awning fabric. I did experience siding cracking at lower corners of bed slide. Cleaned it up, sealed and installed trim to cover crack cosmetics. I have roof checked at local repair shop on annual basis with no problems to date.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 AM   #27
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I replaced our 2 bricks that were the original televisions. I recommend using Morryde television mounts--yes a little pricey but they work the best. And they will support any modern flat screen television. In our bedroom, the mount was more expensive than the small flat screen television. I also directly wired in 2 separate satellite receivers with outside connectors. Don't use the old television wiring--it will not support modern satellite connections.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #28
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
May I suggest also checking the slide out seals and gaskets for suppleness and good contact.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote