Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
? about metal grates on cook top?

Has anyone had the problem of the black paint chipping off the metal grates on your cook top?

I find I have to be very careful on how I move my pots and pans while cooking or I'm left with scratches in the grate.

I don't think this should be on a cooking service. I have cooked on gas stoves for most of my life and never experienced this with a standard range.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Yes fla native mine is doing the same thing. I though I was just being too rough on them. Maybe not.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fla Native and Prairiepoodle.

I had this happen to the FRONT grate only, was under warranty and got a new grate.

Was talking to a friend of mine the other night, who is in the market for new TT, she is having same trouble with her grates.

As she was making the rounds of salesmen and RV shows, she mentioned this and they told her (and we all know how much we trust these dudes, right?? ), that there was an ongoing problem with them, and it was cause the heat had been turned too high too many times. Their contention is that we need to learn to cook with lower heat.

Not sure if I believe this, or NOT, cause it does make some logical sense, but thought I would pass it on for what is worth.

NOW, no flaming me (ha ha, get it, flame, cooking, etc??), kkkkkk???

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:45 AM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

[...]Their contention is that we need to learn to cook with lower heat.[...]
My short reply is "Bull cookies!"

The grate needs to be produced with materials and a finish that is resistant to the heat levels produced by the stove top burner as well as pot/pan contact. As was noticed above, my HOME grates do not have this problem. And they have a higher BTU output!!

This is a quality issue caused by a bean counter somewhere who has figured out a way to reduce the cost of production...at the cost of performance for the end user.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:03 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Eric,

You are probably right about the bean counter, but, now the problem is, find a replacement that is better made OR learn to live with it, OR replace said grates once or twice a year??

Seeing that there are only a few stove makers, and what was it, one oven maker, I wonder if any of them are better?? worse?? same?? Would they make a better grate for the $500,000 motor homes?? I have no answers, just wondering aloud??

For now, I wonder if I can remember to not turn that front burner on all the way and learn to cook with lower flame?? NOT sure. SIGH

Carol
Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 AM   #6
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Ironically, we pay WAY more per square foot for these homes on wheels than we do for the stick houses (I think another thread addressed this, recently). Couldn't agree more that the appliances and decorative items should be of at least the same quality in this respect....

If the dealer or factory can't/won't replace these under warranty (or if the warranty has run out) try your local hardware or home improvement store for high temp paint. I used to use it by the case when I was showing old cars (anything sprayed on an engine block has to be pretty tough!). Some of these are rated to 1200 degrees F or better. As I recall, you can get it in several colors, including gloss or satin black. For those with toy haulers, you can paint your grills authentic Ford Blue or Chevy Orange-- your buddies will like it......your wife will smack you on the head.......
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:18 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Pete,

Thanks for the reminder/heads up on the high temp paint! Might be a great solution!

But, I think I would go with the black!

Carol
Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #8
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Kind of leaves you wondering if Pete learned this one the hard way?
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #9
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
...gosh folks; the better half just smacks me upside the head for, as she said, "practice, so I won't botch it when you really need it...!" Back to the original issue. I wonder if these things were "powder coated"? I agree, use VHT engine paint---you know, the "smackless color"...!
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Or.. we could just let the paint chip and use them as the are... they still cook just fine and we can all be happy.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Gruffy,

I agree with you on this one. Need a bigger fish to get me stirred up.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:21 AM   #12
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Cheryl agrees, go with black. I've asked her to start smacking me on the left side of the head so I can maintain symetrical lumps.

I like the powder coating idea. When I was in manufacturing, we had some of our pressure transmitter heads powder coated for "special environment" customers. The powder coating was not only tough as nails, it looked GREAT, too! HOWEVER, after seeing the wholsale price on this service, I'll stick to the high temp stuff. I'm with Stiles and Gruffy-- if I can't find cheap hi-temp paint, the grill may have to show some blemishes for a while.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:55 PM   #13
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
I have to also agree with Gruffy on this one. The only problems I see with the grates is pans slide on them to easily. Maybe the paint chiping will reduce this. SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:05 AM   #14
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
fla native....... I posted about this problem maybe a year ago or so here.

It's easy to say that flaking paint is not much of a problem but ours has progressed to a point that we need to be replacing the entire grate. It's much more than just the paint.....the metal has deteriorated and appears to be ready to crack all the way thru. Don't want that to happen while a pot of hot food, liquids or grease(!) is cooking.

I don't know if we could have prevented the further erosion by scraping and repainting with a high temperature paint but hopefully others can learn by how our grate has deteriorated.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:38 AM   #15
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I've got the solution---go out to eat!!! Works great (ha ha ha) and the grates look like new. If you have to cook in use the microwave .
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote