Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Help-Landing Gear Problem!

Just arrived in San Diego and while unhooking/setting up the landing gear seemed very sluggish---electric motor seemed to be working very hard and stopped momentarily, re-started after a short cool down period. Bit noisey on right gear as well. Seems that right gear could be binding in tube.
Need a tech to have a look--can anyone recommend a mobile tech or perhaps a reputable dealer here in San Diego, near the Grantville area?
Not sure I should try landing gear again, could burn out motor, so I'm sort of stuck in situ!!
Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, B
PS: What brand/make of electric landing gear do I have? Couldn't find any labels, nor do I have any pamphlet/booklet but the electric motor is a 'Venture Inc' model. Have a 2007 3400RL.

barmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
were you plugged in at the time? If the battery is low the motor will strain. If you are now on park power, try the jacks see if there is any differance. Also you can spray some lube into any openings on the leg itself to see if that will help.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like you may have the start of gear box failure. Others have had this problem. You might check inside the bay. There is a rod that runs across from the driver side to the curb side. Check that rod for good fit. If you can figure out how, check the lubrication in the gear box.

I had to replace the gear box in my 2003 Big Sky. On the 2008, I started having trouble at the top end of the lift and I replaced the whole system with LevelUP, auto leveling system from Lippert and installed by TrailAir. That's another story. The point is I have had gear box trouble on both my rigs.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
It sounds to me like the whole thing needs lubricating. The leg screws and top gears especially. I'd also check all electrical connections.
I've had every part of the landing gear fail, some things more than once. Keeping the system lubricated will help prevent many of the failures.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I lost my drivers side landing gear last year. It was out of warranty but just out a couple months. Lippert charged me $100 normally $150 per side. Not to hard to change out if your into repairing things your self. Good luck.Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Few ideas for your consideration. First, hope you are chocked and locked (chocks and TV emergency brake) so rig doesn't move when lifting, causing legs to bind? Second, leveled side to side before starting legs? Third, check front basement and the box cross shaft to be sure it turns OK, especially by the motor, make sure the shear bolt isn't loose and binding on the motor. Last, as stated above, add grease or gear oil to the shafts. John Kohl has commented on this. Access leg tops inside your propane compartment, flip covers off and add lube. Good luck and let us know what happens.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by barmar

Just arrived in San Diego and while unhooking/setting up the landing gear seemed very sluggish---electric motor seemed to be working very hard and stopped momentarily, re-started after a short cool down period. Bit noisey on right gear as well. Seems that right gear could be binding in tube.
Need a tech to have a look--can anyone recommend a mobile tech or perhaps a reputable dealer here in San Diego, near the Grantville area?
Not sure I should try landing gear again, could burn out motor, so I'm sort of stuck in situ!!
Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, B
PS: What brand/make of electric landing gear do I have? Couldn't find any labels, nor do I have any pamphlet/booklet but the electric motor is a 'Venture Inc' model. Have a 2007 3400RL.
You are getting good advice, here is the info on your gear:
http://www.venturemfgco.com/rv-landi...cessories.html

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
As for service locations. I only know of two (there are more for sure) and only bought supplies from one of them (Chula Vista). I don't have any service experience with either of them. They are 8 and 11 miles away as the crow flies to your location in Grantville as listed by the Trailer Life software I use:

1. RV Trailer Supply - 619-442-9407

2. Chula Vista Trailer Supplies - 619-420-2048

I have been to others listed at the campground I've stayed at, but they'd be farther away and I am not sure they had service centers.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Thanks to all for your info and great advice. Had a Mobile tech check things out and turns out that the plastic casing on the gear box had cracked, on the extend side, so it was working only just and under a lot of stress. Gear box was replaced. Tech also suggested that I change out the two old batteries---about 5 year old 'Adventurer' 6 volt deep cycle. They are showing evidence of being 'tired'. He recommended a couple of 'Trojans' at about $130 each---ouch!! Are there other alternatives out there?
Thanks again for your helpful responses. Cheers, B
Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
barmar, glad you got it fixed.
Most go to Sam's and get the batteries there, if you are going with the 6 volt Golf Cart style. About as cheap as anywhere else and the stores are everywhere in case you need a warranty claim.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
barmar
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8385
Thanks Ozz! I'm not a member of Sam's but are the Costco 'Kirkland' batteries of the same quality?
When I checked the 'Kirkland' 6 volt deep cycle options on line they have a Fitment Code 14 battery that is rated at 845CA and 120AH whereas the 'Trojan' is rated at 447CA and 225AH--about 2x the capacity. Not certain of the physical size of the 'Kirkland' so not sure it will fit my current 2-battery plastic box container. Will check further today as they have other Fitment Codes of 15 and 16 but of lesser capacity.