Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Gremlins in the Electric System

Let me start with Happy New Year. Somewhat frustrating for us. Let me go back to about two weeks ago. One evening late, the DW put something in the Apollo Half time Oven. We had the computer on and the Television on a tower lasko heater a few lights. The DW came down the stairs and the oven make a growling noise and thier was a orange light behind the clock window at the top right corner. Just then all the front room stuff went off, it didn't blow inside. However it blew out side. When I reset the main breaker everything else came back on. The oven is in the shop. It is now 1/1/11 around 1:30 a.m. The power went out I didn't think much of it until a couple of hours later I awoke and the clock by by bed was still off, the temp outside was 23 deg and I was afraid the heat tapes on the hoses outside were also off and the water and pipes would be frooze and break. When I got up and went down into the living area the DW was on the floor with the two Yorkies and blankets and the tower heater and fireplace was on. So I went back to bed. I got up at 7 a.m. Coffe mach on, fireplace on and tower heater then I turned on computer and TV Power went out again outside breaker.I found the cheap Micro wave we got at wallyworld was out plugged to the same outlet above the stove. I had to go out the surge protector line 1 and line 2 were on but the green light for power was not. I shut off the main breaker and waited and turned it back on 2 1/2 mins later the power came back on. My question is the surge protector is 3 1/2 years old do they go bad? in that time and I can't remmeber how long the warrenty is good for. Next question is why did both units Apollo and now the other Micro wave go out, if the surge protector is working the TV and Firelace and Dell seems fine. Is there a way to test the Surge Protector? I know this is lenghtly sorry.Would the 23 degree Weather have an effect on power outages. Any help would be Appreciated Electricity is not my thing. Thank you

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If I read correctly, I think the surge protector is not among the culprits. It sounds to me that the load is unbalanced and throwing the breaker on the park supply.
You have two 'lugs' in your 50 amp service, as your protector shows line 1 and line 2, a heavy unbalance on one side or 'Lug' of your breaker panel will overheat the breaker. I would think your inside breaker would blow first, but it sounds like the park power supply has a loose wire, or a bad breaker.
You should check to see how many heavy loads are on one side of the panel. Every other breaker will be on one side or the other.
That 11 to 15 amps of the tower heater is what is causing the troubles, all other loads are pretty much figured in. try plugging the heater in whaere the vacuum is plugged in, that is on it's own curcuit, but it could still be on the loaded up side of the breaker panel. You pretty much need an electrican to amp the trailer panel loads out. Good luck.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree with Ozz. I wouldn't want to diagnose your problem on the internet. A competant electrician can check your load balance in a matter of minutes. Possibly just moving some of your breakers around will solve your problem and he will know which ones to move.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote