Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Norcold Recall

Received a letter from Keystone stating that the Norcold refrigerators are being recalled again.

Is this another recall?

The letter states that the recall is for the "installation of a High Temperature Sensor." It goes on to say that "even if your refrigerator was repaired as part of a previous recall, it is necessary to have it repaired again to minimize the risk of injury or death due to fire." It states also that "owners should not operate their refrigerators..."

Sounds like another recall.

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Joe. Which models, dare I ask?
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I believe this is the recall discussed previously....it is a recall to repair the previous recall.....and is on 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211. We finally had our repair completed a couple of weeks ago.... the mobile repair guy has been busy here with the recall....doing lots of MH and 5er's. The repair guy left us the sheet from Norcold which details the last fix and the current repair....we have filed it with the Norcold Owners Manual.....can never tell ....maybe there will be recall #3. The range of units under the recall now is from 1997 to 2010...ours was a 2008 mfg date and had the last recall already in it!!!!

Betty
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
The letter should have a recall number on it. Check it against the recall that was previously done to see if it is indeed a separate recall. I would be interested in knowing as well since I have an upcoming appointment to do the suspension recall work
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Received a letter from Keystone stating that the Norcold refrigerators are being recalled again.

Is this another recall?

The letter states that the recall is for the "installation of a High Temperature Sensor." It goes on to say that "even if your refrigerator was repaired as part of a previous recall, it is necessary to have it repaired again to minimize the risk of injury or death due to fire." It states also that "owners should not operate their refrigerators..."

Sounds like another recall.

The wording in the letter you received is the same as ours of a couple weeks ago...High Temperature Sensor was the subject of our recall fix.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
There is no recall number on the letter. I never received a letter from Keystone, so maybe this letter is finally catching up with me and is about a month behind the letter I received from Norcold.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I also received a Keystone letter. Went by CW and talked to warranty folk. This is Keystone catching up with Norcold. Same recall.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

I also received a Keystone letter. Went by CW and talked to warranty folk. This is Keystone catching up with Norcold. Same recall.
Mike
We also received the Keystone letter today...agree with Mike, Keystone notice is just a copy of what Norcold already provided. On the positive side, it's good to have two organizations concerned about our safety.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I see Dometic buying Norcold stock for pennies on the dollar...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

I see Dometic buying Norcold stock for pennies on the dollar...
Mr Potter all over again....
Old 12-26-2010, 04:46 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't mess around with this. The new sensor is designed to shut off the refrigerator if the temperature gets near a flash point. Unfortunately, once the refrigerator is shut off by this method it means it has to be replaced. Go to the Norcold web site and look up their recall list. It is quite encompassing.

I'm surprised that Keystone is just now getting around to this. If you have NOT received a notification from Norcold, or Keystone, look at the serial number inside the door, AND the serial number on the unit outside behind the vent. If you unit model and serial number match, call Norcold. Tell them you did not receive a recall but you have a unit that needs to be upgraded. They will tell you what steps to take. It is under Norcold warranty. The work takes about 15 minutes.

The sensor is mounted on the stack at a given location. The sensor is wired to a clamp-on module to one of the freon lines or one of the pipes. The power to the refer is routed through the module. If the sensor triggers the module the power shuts off. I have been lead to believe that once the module trips it cannot be restarted and will require servicing. To restart the refrigerator after the module trips would be very, very dangerous.

Get 'er done! This is life threatening.

Once you have had the modification check to make sure your refrigerator is operating. I did, and it was flashing an error code. I had read up on the subject and I went back into service and told them that they had a wire on backwards. They looked like me like I was a dummy, but went outside and checked. The technician said it is no big thing to re-do the wire. He did and the refrigerator started working. So check before you leave the service area.

I didn't ask them if they checked it before they put it back "in service" as I was afraid of the answer. (which probably would not have been quite the truth)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I totally concur with your advice about checking it out before you leave the dealer. Ours was "fixed" the day before Thanksgiving, and I did not check it. Two days later when I tried to crank it up, it did not work. Not only were wires reversed, there was one power line not even plugged in.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote