Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
5th Airborne

I will be installing the 5th Airborne pin box that I purchased, the other day, on Saturday. Here is my question.I want to install it so my 5er will be level when hooked to my tv, so will this hitch settle when hooked up. To remain level does that mean I want to lower the pin, or raise the 5th wheel?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mike, I think the answer depends on how much space is between your trailer and your bed rails. When I first mounted my Trailersaver, the trailer sat too close to the bedrails. I adjusted several times and finally ended up getting a spacer for my Trailersaver, raising it up a couple inches. Seems the beds are deeper on the '08s than in years past and the setup was different for the trailer. Trial and error is the only way to do it. Once I had mine close, I measured the ground to trailer clearance in the front and back of the trailer and it was within 1 inch, and the bed rails are about 6-7 inches from the trailer. Close enough for government work. Good luck.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My 5th Airborne sets a little lower than my stock pin box. I could not get the new pin box up into the highest row of holes for some reason. There was some interference somewhere, so I had to use the next lower rows. I lowered my hitch a bolt hole to make up for that. I bought all new grade 8 bolts, and actually added a couple more than were in the original.
Once you get it installed, you will need to hook up to the 5er and put air in the air bag until it reaches the "fill to" line. Then you can determine if you are sitting level as that is how you will be towing. If not close to level, you may need to raise/lower your hitch a little.
I can't say I have really watched mine when I raise the jacks, but I have not noticed any significant settling of the 5th Airborne pin box when I do.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
That raises another question. Do I let the air out when I set up at home base for an extended period of time or just leave the air as it was on the road? I plan to install it Saturday, that is, tomorrow. Where did you locate your electrical box that the pigtail comes out of?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I leave the air in mine and check it each time I hook up to make sure it is still on or near the line.
I located a spot near the rear of the pin box where I could locate the electrical box and it would not interfere with any thing and clear space behind for a screw to go thru. Used a self drilling screw to drill thru the flange.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
radio flyer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8409
I installed my 5th Airborne in the same holes as the old pinbox. The truck and trailer are level. You can move the air bag inside the pinbox according to your pin weight. I think it has 3 positions. It is heavy have 2 people work on the install. GOOD LUCK
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Installed mine in less than an hour. I hooked up to the 5th wheel and took the bolts out of the old one. After taking bolts out, I raised the 5th wheel off stock pin box and pulled out from under it. I then put the 5th airborne on the hitch and very carefully backed under the 5th wheel, lowered the 5th wheel onto the 5th airborne hooked up the bolts and that was it. Very simple and not a lot of lifting.

By the way......what a difference it made on the ride. Worth every cent you pay for it.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I got it installed yesterday. I have about 6" clearance so it all looks good. I won't be going out again until September so I will see how it rides then. I will go ahead and leave it aired up and check before I head out to see if it is aired at the line. Thanks for all the advice and help on this thread and the other one.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Mike is that 6" about the same as you started with, did you gain or lose any height? Thanks
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I was able to raise the pin box and only lost 1/2" from what I had before.