Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We bought the dually straight off, so we have no way to compare. Our reasons for choosing the dually were crosswind stability and blowout stability. The triangle of the trailer CG and the wheelbase is wider on the duallie, so I feel it's more stable. We've had no problems in some pretty intense winds. As for a blowout, I have experienced the loss of a front wheel on a straight truck, so I feel better about having an extra wheel on each side of the part that holds up the trailer.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #22
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
To the original question. I don't think you'll get anyone to say, "yep, it's fine to overload your truck". That's a decision you're gonna have to make. But, as you can see, lots of folks pull and stop more weight than you would be towing with 3/4 ton trucks. You are looking at more pin weight than our unit is listed at, but we have lots of goodies in the RV and basement, and I feel very comfortable towing the unit we have.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I recall when we were purchasing looking at the difference between the F-250 and the F-350 Super duty.. I looked it up again on the Ford Build your own truck page and built the two trucks with identical options. (using the options on my truck as the baseline) The difference in price was the F-250 was 290.00 less money. I guess that reflectes the extra leaf or spring or a couple of wheels. That sort of verifies that the two trucks are pretty much the same in most respects but that small difference makes a big difference in specs numbers (these were 09 trucks). 290.00 is not a bad deal for the increase in numbers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #24
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I currently pull a '05 2955rl With a pure stock '04.5 2500ctd Dodge Quadcab lb. Scaled ready for trip all axel and cgw of 20,000# were under. Pullled 4700 miles '07 from Ind. to Momtana, to Utah to home vie I70 thru Vail pass Denver and on. Absolutely no problem with flatlands,mountains city rush hours. No overheat, control, braking, Trans. or CUNNINS. Those engines are built in my back yard. Fuel econ. was 11 mpg of $3.00 fuel at the time. Just my $.02 worth. Have fun in all your travels.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are a easy mark for new trucks. Usually get a new one every 3 years or so. Our last two have been Fords and we like them because of the towing and CC. spec's. Would love to see the Cummings diesel in a big Ford truck but do not believe that will happen. We are keeping up to date on the new Ford Diesel. It sounds good and if it lives up to the PR I will not be able to resist. We buy on the Ford Employee's plan so that eases the pain a bit. Not happy about the " made in Mexico" part but there are already a lot of "made in Mexico" tags hanging off my 08 Ford truck. At least it is still in North America...
Old 03-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm hearing it said that it's okay just because you can pull with a 3/4 ton truck. Yes, you can, but are you safe? Because you left and got back without incident, what happens next time? I ask myself these questions every time we are on the road. And, I also say a prayer that I will get there and back without incident and that I won't be the cause of harm to anyone else.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #27
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I'm hearing it said that it's okay just because you can pull with a 3/4 ton truck. Yes, you can, but are you safe? Because you left and got back without incident, what happens next time? I ask myself these questions every time we are on the road. And, I also say a prayer that I will get there and back without incident and that I won't be the cause of harm to anyone else.

Orv
Orv, when the 3/4 and 1 ton SRW trucks are the same exact truck except for a spring leaf, I have no problem with safely pulling the same load the SRW 1 ton pulls. I may not be in line with the sticker on the door post, but I could care less. I've worked with lots of heavy equipment before, and seen it modified many times to do more than the manufacturer rated it for.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #28
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
In addition to springs 3500 comes with 265 tires and wider wheels brakes axles are the same
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are not the same exact truck. The difference is the extra leaf or extra spring or the extra wheels and that makes it a different truck. The door post sticker reflects that difference on the individual truck without any modifications or after market add on's. Two Identical F-250's or F-350's can be different trucks based on the options each has. A truck identical to mine with a 4:30 diff has different spec's than mine with the 4:10's so it is a different truck and has different load and tow capacities. Yes Mod's will change the capacities. I can put the 4:30 diff in my truck and increase tow ratings and have not changed the door sticker..but I did make it a Different truck....
I guess this subject is way to complicated for me because I thought it was easy to understand..I need to do more homework...or better yet..forget about it.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #30
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I appreciate all of the input and have a lot of considering to do. The thought of having to go replace my truck after only having it a year and a half isn't too appealing at this time. I would have definitely purchased a 3500 at the time if I had looked this far ahead, but there I am.

BTW, my 2500 also came with 265 E-rated tires on it.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #31
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

They are not the same exact truck. The difference is the extra leaf or extra spring or the extra wheels and that makes it a different truck. The door post sticker reflects that difference on the individual truck without any modifications or after market add on's. Two Identical F-250's or F-350's can be different trucks based on the options each has. A truck identical to mine with a 4:30 diff has different spec's than mine with the 4:10's so it is a different truck and has different load and tow capacities. Yes Mod's will change the capacities. I can put the 4:30 diff in my truck and increase tow ratings and have not changed the door sticker..but I did make it a Different truck....
I guess this subject is way to complicated for me because I thought it was easy to understand..I need to do more homework...or better yet..forget about it.
My bad Rich. GM 2500-3500 D/A trucks only come with the 3:73 rear gearing. I wasn't thinking about the available rear gears for Ford or Dodge. I've already upgraded to the LT265 tires. And I was comparing the SRW trucks. I do think we each need to do what we are comfortable with as far as the TV is concerned. Not just because someone else says they do it, or it can be done. I do wish I had purchased the 3500, but I'm not going to buy anything (vehicle wise) right now.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #32
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

In addition to springs 3500 comes with 265 tires and wider wheels brakes axles are the same
This pertains to Chevy/GMC not Ford
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I understand Will. Folks ask questions here looking for advise and we need to give them accurate information..If we know it.Once the individual understands the capabilities of the truck they have the knowledge to purchase the truck or camper that serves their needs. I know that if we purchase the new Big Sky we will be , by the Big Sky Spec's and my truck spec's, over if we load to max. At least we know and have the information to make the choice. I don't want to be the guy that gives a person seeking information some miss leading or inaccurate information causing him to make a incorrect choice or spend money unwisely. We can truthfully say as many others can that we have never had a problem pulling or stopping any truck/ camper combination we have had no matter what it weighed. That is because.... well..we have never had a problem. I don't think I should give that as justification to someone to purchase a particular truck? camper combo???And no we most likely would not go out and get a new truck spending many bucks because we were a couple of hundred lbs over in one or another spec's..but... I would sure liked to have known that before we purchased and I would like to know it now so I could take whatever precautions necessary...if any.. And yes, IMO although it does not change the door sticker the addition of air bags DO change the capacities of the truck just like adding 4:30 diff to my truck would change the capacities but not the sticker. This is a very complicated issue and very difficult to understand...I am trying..
Old 03-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #34
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drknapp

I appreciate all of the input and have a lot of considering to do. The thought of having to go replace my truck after only having it a year and a half isn't too appealing at this time. I would have definitely purchased a 3500 at the time if I had looked this far ahead, but there I am.

BTW, my 2500 also came with 265 E-rated tires on it.
drknapp, For about $400.00 you could have an extra spring added to your truck. I had a 2500 Chevy and did just that. I would also suggest Air Lift bags in case of a squat. Keep in mind, with the extra spring and NO load it will ride like a truck (or tank). To compensate for that I deflated my tires to lowest psi indicated. (I aired them up before towing). I want to say I had two panic stops with my '05 Chevy 3/4 ton pulling a loaded 3400 and it broke straight and true and plenty of time. This is reality. Good luck in your choice. I would say use the truck you have and reevaluate in a year, just be careful out there. Hope this helps!!!!

BTW: My '08 3500 DRW Chevy has 225/75/R17 tires.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #35
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
HEY ORV, You recon every big rig going down any road is completely safe? Every driving situation is dangerious no matter what you drive.Small car or super big loads going for a 1 million# on State roads.We all have stuff even on regulated loads. Have fun going and when you get there.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #36
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Drknapp,
I hope you have gotten enough information to make your decision. If not there are several other threads that go over this exact same information. Just look back through as many as you need to get what you need to make up your mind.

This thread looks as if it is getting ready to head the way of all the previous threads on this subject. Starting to get too personal and the same thing is being said over and over.

This thread is being locked.

Thank you.

RVWheels, MOC Administrator
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote