Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Veteran's Dinner - Awesome

Yesterday afternoon the park we are in(Tombstone Territories) hosted a dinner for Veterans and park RVers. They supplied turkey, dressing and gravy and everyone brought a dish. There were well over 200 people in attendance, mostly Veteran organizations from the area and southern AZ. The owner of the park is a Submarine Veteran and there were lots of them in attendance. There were also several Veteran biker groups. And about 6 or 7 WWII Veterans. It was great to see them as I know their numbers are deceasing every day. Every war was represented along with several active duty soldiers stationed at Fort Huachuca (pronounced Wachuca). It was a great afternoon and a great way to honor those that have and are serving our country.
Happy trails..........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thats great, I lived at Ft Huachuca for 6 years been there and done that. When we are in the area we stay at the US Army Family Camp ground on Ft Huachuca or in Bensen Arizona. Arizona is a great place for RVer's, lots of Sunshine. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sue--The dinner is a great idea for the Vets. What a way to celebrate our Heros!
The American Legion Club I am Vice Commander at is hosting a Veteran's Day Program at the local elementary/high school. It is held at the hometown high school gym and the whole school (kids and staff) show up. We are involving the kids by handing out small American flags this year. The high school vocal ensemble sing the national anthem and perform another patriotic song also. We have a guest speaker and this year we have a WWII vet that puts on a skit-- he's dressed in WWII fatiques and puts on quite a show! We hope the kids and the members of the local community enjoy him. I'm a Vietnam Vet but most of our Legion Post is made up of WWII Vets and it's really interesting hearing their stories. They were in Europe and the Pacific and even had one that was stationed in South America during WWII and they all have some great stories. This group is becoming smaller all the time and I try to support them all I can since we won't have them around much longer. We have a project here in Nebraska that is called "Honor Flight" and it is a project that flies the WWII Vets to Washington,DC so they have a chance to see the new WWII Memorial and other Memorials in DC. It's really a great project and is completely free to all WWII Vets.
Everyone reading this thread-- don't forget to say thanks to any of the Vets you meet! Just think what freedoms you have because of these individuals!! God Bless them All!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ron, what a great event! Wish I was there. We need to keep documenting the stories our vets tell. I wish I had written down more that my Daddy told. He served in North Africa and Italy during WWII in the Army - Lt. Col. Since much of the info keeps disappearing from our history books, these Vets are our truth. The Military channel does a great job of telling some of the stories.
I do thank all of our vets for what they have given up to give us all freedom and safety.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote