Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
mstreeter
Established Member

M.O.C. #8713
Water Heater

I am a new Montanna owner and have never RV'd before. I have a 5th wheel Montanna and wonder if I should drain the water heater after camping each time? I wouldn't think so but like I said I am new.
Thanks
Mike

mstreeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mstreeter

I am a new Montanna owner and have never RV'd before. I have a 5th wheel Montanna and wonder if I should drain the water heater after camping each time? I wouldn't think so but like I said I am new.
Thanks
Mike
Welcome to the forum, Mike. Some people drain the water heater after each trip. It all depends on how long the rig is going to be setting in between trips. I've always felt that it wasn't necessary to drain it. We never did except for winterizing. Before we started full timing in 2000, our trips were usually once a year, maybe twice, and we didn't drain in between times.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the forum Michael!

You should drain the water heater after each trip to avoid mold and mildew and guppies in the tank. Make sure you shut "OFF" the little black electric switch behind the outside heater panel and put the cotter pin in it (if you still have it) before you drain the tank. That switch should only be "ON" if the heater has water or the heater element will burn out within a few minutes.

What year/model do you have?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mstreeter,

I do not drain my water heater or fresh water tank. I suppose I should but I've never had a problem. We sometimes go as long as 3 months between trips.

Brad has some valid reasons to drain but like I said I've never had a problem with not draining.

Guess you'll have to decide what course of action would be best for your particular situation.

I think you'll find that is the pretty much normal with almost any RVing issue. You'll find folks all over the spectrum.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of RVing.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
mstreeter
Established Member

M.O.C. #8713
Thank you all for such a quick response. I will definitely take all suggestions and put them to good use.
Mike
mstreeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
After washing my body while in a foreign country for a year with whatever water was available, and wondering about the mess hall washing utensils, I don't think a small build up of critters is going to hurt this old skin.

I don't drain mine until winter time.

Edited: But then, I let the dog lick me in the face also. I haven't started barking yet!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow - guess I'm the odd man out and didn't expect these responses. I thought all part-timers drained when they got home. I always have, so I guess I don't know what would happen if I didn't. I just keep hearing about guys getting black and pink mucko junko in the stangnent wash machine lines or water softeners and figured anything past a week or so was going to go bad.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I don't have the option, as we're full time in our unit. But, if I were parking the trailer for any length of time, I would have to agree with Brad. That water will get stagnant, and stuff will grow in there.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I'm with bsmeaton, always drained after a trip unless we were going back out in less than a week. Wayne, that old boby washing might go a long way in explaining a lot. Remember, we have met. Hee hee..

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike--I'm with Brad on the draining of the hot H2O tank! Besides turning off the electrical switch behind the outside heater panel, I also turn off the breaker on the main panel. I do that before I even turn off the outside switch then I know I'm safe and won't burn out that element! I normally turn off the breaker and switch before heading for home on the last day of camping that way it gives the tank a chance to cool down before I drain it. By the way, welcome to the forum Mike and hope you jump in on any of the threads you like! There are always questions one has and don't feel bashful about asking anything!
Wayne-- I'm not going to ask about what else you do since you let the dog lick you in the face!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jim, Way back then it didn't take as much water as it does now. Wish they had a 20 gal tank instead of a 10!

Rondo,
I never kiss and tell!!!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Wayne--
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, my input, been doing this since 1988 and never, ever, drained the hot water tank until it was being winterized...so once a year. We use the hot water to clean the dishes for all these years...agree things do grow during down time but when water is returned to the "Hot" state during the numerous trips and RV's we have owned at best we get "dead" bacterial bodies during the initial "hot" purge. Did I always do a "hot" purge, well, no...so now I am contaminated...
Fresh water tank...different story, as we always come home and open drain port and typically leave open until next need to carry fresh water which is at best 2x a year. Past unit we tried to use the RV Safe Antifreeze in fresh water tank as an antiseptic but found it left a horrible "taste" in our water system...brushing teeth was disgusting.

As others have commented...all good stuff for improvements on how to manage water storage.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We got into a habit of completely draining the water in the Monty between trips. On the average we go out now about every three weeks. I personally think that this helps keep the entire water system clean. I certainly would not like to go out and get sick from contaminated water. Just my 2cents.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote