Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
tgrucelski
Established Member

M.O.C. #7552
Cold Storage (Wisconsin)

Hi all,

I was just wondering how many of you block up your rigs for winter storage. I am concerned about leaving it sitting on the wheels with our sub-zero temps in Wisconsin.

Next, what would be the preferred method to accomplish this? I've got 2 of the 7500# BAL scissor jacks which I am using between the wheels to stabilize it - was kind of thinking ahead when I bought them that they ought to work to lift it as well; with the scale weight of the rear axles at just under 9,900#.

Perhaps pick up 2 more and lift directly under all four axle/spring attachment points? Or what about going right to the frame immediately to the front and rear of the spring/frame attach points?

Thanks in advance.

Todd Grucelski

PS. I know what I ought to do, just stay here in Florida where I've been working the last 2 months and to he** with Wisconsin winters. I'm guessing I won't see many RV's going north with me next week. Maiden trip in our 3400 has been a blast, but wife is due any day now with our second daughter and need to get home closer to family/friends.

tgrucelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
When I winterized my unit in New York I jacked it up and then put four(4) 3000 lb jack stands under it. The were about a foot in front and a foot behind the tires and were centered on the "I" beam frame. Yes you need to be centered. I used a piece of wood to prevent the Jack stand top from penetrating the siding.
View from back
View from front You can just see the base of the jack stand.
I hope this helps.
Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote