Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 AM   #21
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
For those of you who only dump the grey tanks when full, if you can't trust the sensors, how do you know when to dump? I know the black tank "burps" when full, but I don't want to wait until grey water backs up into the kitchen sink, or BR sink/shower before I dump.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 AM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When the galley tank nears full you can hear the gurgle in the sink drain. Although you don't like to have water back up into the shower when the gray water tank is full, it really isn't a problem. I just go dump it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK, I cannot help myself

Orv, I hope you don't go dump that gray tank while you is naked!

Or: I hope the DW is in the shower when you have to go dump it cause it is coming back up in the shower.

Sorry,
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Mrs. CountryGuy,
How did I indicate I would go out naked? I just finish my shower, get clothed and when I have the time, I dump the gray water.

Orv
Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I am sorry if I offended, Orv. Was supposed to be funny. Guess it was not. Had a vision of someone standing in 4 inches of gray water in the shower, and needing to dump immediately, and running outside to pull that handle. Guess my humor is lacking these days.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
No, I misunderstood it. I'm the one without the sense of humor. Normally my sense of humor overwhelms most people. But we've spent three months here in Stockton, CA working on the Escapees RV Club Escapade and the last two weeks have been hectic. I've been knee deep in installing electric for 1,000 rigs and then following up on trouble calls (mostly breakers within the rigs--which is something that owners are responsible for). Sunday night we worked until after 7 pm getting everyone settled in and hooked up. For those whose theory of electricity say that it can't be done, I say, we did it.

As for gray water tank filling up, we never run so much water that I'm ankle deep. If I take a shower and about a half to one inch of water doesn't drain, then I know that the tank needs to be emptied.

Please accept my apology for not being "hip" to the humor at this time. Hope to meet everyone on this forum (well, a lot of you, anyway) someday down the trail.

Orv
Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #27
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Your circumstances noted.

Volunteers tend to get burnt out over time, and I ain't talking electricity here.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #28
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
That was a perfect example of why we all love this forum so much... It does not matter if we disagree or agree, we are all family and the willingness to get along is priceless!

Orv,
While I have nothing to do with the Escapees Rally, I must say; job well done! Events like that cannot happen without volunteers like yourself.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #29
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I dump my black tank about every 3 weeks (sometimes 2). I use to dump it about every 4 weeks (when I was working and not at home much). My question is, will Rid-X do the job in 2-3 weeks? Is that long enough for it to really start working? If so, I'll be using Rid-X. Not sure what store sells the other "fast acting" type and I don't like to order on line. Comments welcomed!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
skoobdo.. I am no expert on the use of RId-X in the camper waste system. I have used it for years but not on weekend or very short campouts but when the camper sat in the driveway between trips I would use Rid-X in the system.It seemed to work well for us.. We have been told by the "experts" that Rid-X is slow acting and does not have enough time to work well in the campers systems. The directions on the box do say to add..monthly..to the home septic system. Rid-X is it does NOT contain a deodorizer or Lubricants so you still need to add those to the camper system. CW sells a Enzyme based product as does Wall-Mart and most Rv stores..you just need to read the label.. There are probably some experts here who can enlighten us on the subject.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #31
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Thanks Rich.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:02 AM   #32
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Rich, that is good info. I never thought about using bacteria/enzymes. I am always in one spot for several months (I still have to work) and will give it a try. Thanks. As for Orv naked, no offense but I have seen myself naked and it scares the beegeebers out of me. Orv, forgive my ignorance but you mentioned hooking up 1000 units for the Escapades?? I am unfamiliar with that group. As I said, I still have to work (for a little while anyway).
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #33
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Garin1

Rich, that is good info. I never thought about using bacteria/enzymes. I am always in one spot for several months (I still have to work) and will give it a try. Thanks. As for Orv naked, no offense but I have seen myself naked and it scares the beegeebers out of me. Orv, forgive my ignorance but you mentioned hooking up 1000 units for the Escapades?? I am unfamiliar with that group. As I said, I still have to work (for a little while anyway).
We volunteer with the Escapees RV Club at their Escapades which are week-long events filled with seminars, social get togethers, and entertainment. As part of the electrical crew, we prepared for electrical hookups for up to 1000 rigs, however only needed about 600 because there were a lot who dry camped or used their own generators. Regardless, we had to be prepared because we always get a lot of last minute registrations and those who pull up to the gate and want in. It is a lot of hard work but I've lived a good life and this is one way I can give back. I was also the loadmaster for the Escapees semi, which hauls all our equipment (all the electrical panels, over 11,000 feet of cable, audio equipment, office equipment, tables, etc. It took its toll on me this year as I still haven't recovered. It'll take me at least another month to get back to normal. Must have something to do with my age.

Orv
Old 10-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #34
shehi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5266
On my 2003 Mountaineer 315RLS travel trailer, I was getting a pretty bad smell at times in my rig. I installed a rotor type vent on top, this seemed to help some. I use my rig around four days a month. After dumping the black tank, I started running a gallon or so of fresh water into the black tank and adding chemicals. Not letting the tank dry out seems to help. While traveling in southern Utah, a fellow camper told me to use a cup of baking soda and some vinegar. He claims all his sensors are now working fine. Comments.

Don Shehi
Arizona
shehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #35
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I read somewhere that after cleaning the tanks good and getting the sensors to finally work right, use a gallon of water softner in the system. Fill and mix and the softner coats the walls which prevents stuff from sticking. Another 2 cents worth
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote