Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2006, 03:00 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Size limits on RVs in western National Parks?

We are newbies who are hoping to visit many of the national parks out west with a sizeable (3400 or 3475) Monty and one ton pickup to tow it with. We have heard occasional comments that campgrounds in some national park have limits on the size of the rigs that can get access to the park campgrounds and/or can fit within their camp sites. But I never see any specifics on what national parks have those limits and what the limits are.

Does anyone know any specifics as to what national parks out west would exclude our rig as too big to get access to their campgrounds or whose sites are too short or too narrow for our rig even if we were able to get into the campground? Can one fit into some of these sites if we leave our slides in? Is there any website or publication where this info can be obtained?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I know you can get into Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone and to one of the parks in Big Bend NP. I don't know for sure about the others but suspect you are correct about being too big. However, we've visited many of those parks and just stayed at nice rv parks outside the national park.

We saw a couple of big rigs in the rv park in Arches National Park, near Moab, UT. There are several good rv parks in Moab. We stayed at one that was about 2 miles from the entrance to Arches and that wasn't even the closest one.

You also would fit at a park just outside Bryce Canyon, a mile or so from the gate.

Etc.

If you have a Trailer Life Campground Directory, I *think* they specify length limits where they exist.

Also, http://www.nps.gov/ is the url for the National Park Service. There may or may not be what you are looking for there.

Good luck. There are some truly beautiful and awe-inspiring national parks out west. Jaw-dropping is the term that comes to mind. I hope you enjoy them.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I did a Google search to see if I could come up with something for you. See if this helps you out.

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I knew up front - from being on this forum for a year - that my 3400RL would be too big for many of these national parks' CGs, as Steve has said. I also was aware from this forum, that while we were not going to be able to camp inside these areas, that there were many CGs just outside these parks that would keep us near where we wanted to see. Thank you MOC!

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:59 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Fishing Bridge in yellowstone has a 50 foot limit, rv and tow vehicle measured hooked up. I was too long with my previous travel trailer (34 ft) and 21 foot GMC 2500. Trailer life directory is preety good, but better yet is the reservation system at most parks.

To add something else to this, driving through west virginia, there are very few private parks, and our 3295RK was too long for many of the state park sites. Ran across a fantastic campground at Flatwoods WV that was run by the days inn, called Flatwoods RV. All full hookups.
Which brings up another point. Most all national parks and most state parks do not have sewer drops, if you plan on staying more than a couple of days, this is a something to plan on. May have to take your blue tote.

Jim, Angie and Anna the Wonder Retriever
2001 GMC Sierra 4X4, CC, D/A
Air Helper Springs, New Engine
2006 3295RK fitted with some of the improvements from valuable MOC owners!
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Like Steve we stay just outside the park and drive in. We knew from previous experience the 3400 wouldn't fit in most NP and state parks. And that there often is not hookups. This is true for National Monuments also.
Happy trails..............................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I wonder if things have changed at Fishing Bridge? Almost a year ago we visited Nkwist (Norm and Chris) during their Fishing Bridge stay. They have a 3400RL and a Chevy 2500 extended cab long bed for a TV. So apparently they are allowing that length now. We saw quite a number of large rigs in Fishing Bridge. They allow only hard-sided rigs there. So maybe they've changed things.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 AM   #8
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
We have noticed that many of the site lengths posted are from the concrete stop (curb) to the edge of the site access roads. If there are no obstructions behind the trailer you can back up until you hit the curb and still have plenty of room. As an example, when we searched an Oregon State Park for site lengths we could only find two that would accept our 55 feet (tow fehicle and 3400RL). After arriving at the park we found many sites that would have given us all the room we needed.

Tom & Sherry Hook
Sassy (Pomeranian) & KiKi (?Cat)
1999 F250 PS
2005 3400RL
http://www.tomandsherry.blogspot.com/
[IMG=left]
thook is offline   Reply With Quote