Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2006, 05:53 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Clyde!

and MAC, you're right. It's not a better spot (further away), but an alternative for after hours.

Our storage lot actually installed a dump site, but he has just never finished it. He's trying to figure how to charge back for it with a key card to cover his expenses.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #22
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
Our Flying J truck stop here in Salina, KS has a free dump station and I imagine that some other Flying J trucks stops might have them also. It is worth a try to check that option out and also they are easy to get in and out of for fueling.
ksboy
ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #23
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

Tell him not to be greedy and just add a little to the monthly fees. Most would not use it on a regular basis and I would gladly pay an extra $5 a month to have a dump if I needed it.

One of these days the three of us need to have a "mini rally" in CO. I know Dusty and Dan live here now but they're moving. Where do you usually take your boat? I'd love to be a leach, my wife grew up on skis but I didn't so I bob in the water and yell hit it. We might have to wait until we get our generator installed though depending on what's available. We're taking it down to Del Camino next month for our little warranty work and I'm going to ask them at that time.

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #24
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks for the tips on dumping at Chatfield. I live just up the road near Southwest Plaza, and my storage lot has started charging $7.50(!) to dump, even though we have stored there for 6-7 years now.

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm very hesitant to plan on a Flying J for dumping unless I could pass it by and be ok. Some of the FJ's have their dump station where using it blocks the lane for RV fuel. We sat and fumed not long ago waiting for a guy in his Class B who backed in to the dump station, completely blocking the fuel lane. If he had gone in sideways it would have been tight but I could have squeezed around him. He just took his sweet time. It was not easy to just sit there and say nothing. I have a high level of intolerance for incompetence and discourtesy.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:51 AM   #26
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Scattershot: Careful if you try coming into Chatfield from Wadsworth. You need to double check the the height of your 5er vs. the clearance of that archway at the entrance booth. I don't remember how high it is, but watched a guy with a toy hauler have to back out of there with heavy incoming traffic, and he had to go all the way around to Santa Fe and down to Titan, and in that entrence. (No arch). Looks like you have a 2955 as well. I figure mine close to 13' without measuring. Have covers on my vents, think the one on the privvy is the highest point of the coach now.

'05 2955RL w. Onan 5.5 LP
'04.5 GMC D/A 4" exhaust, deep Allison pan, extra cap. rear diff. cover
SRW Short Bed Ext. Cab
16K Reese slider
Prodigy
and a smile this wide!
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:05 AM   #27
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mac,
Rally sounds fun. For real water we go to Big Mac or Navaho, but that's a drive either way. Plenty of local places for a weekend - Chatfield, Boyd, Pueblo.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:25 AM   #28
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

Is "Big Mac" Maconahay (sp) in NB? I've been to Navaho once when I was spending time with a buddy in Farmington, nice!

mac

2006 2955RL
Old 08-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #29
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yes - Nebraska. It's actually a shorter drive, is warmer with sandy beaches, and has campgrounds with hookups like Navahoe, but they are running real low on water over the last few years.

Navahoe is full, but a little higher in altitude and colder.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #30
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Yeah that whole NB thingy.....

I've been to both over the years. In any case we really should work towards getting a state gathering together, maybe next year. When do you normally put yours in for storage for the year? If it wasn't for draining the antifreeze in the water system there have been many times we could use this one year round, but haven't because of the antifreeze and the batteries. Kind of a pain re-winterizing.

mac

2006 2955RL
Old 08-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #31
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Brad and Mac:
Got "sand in my crack at Big Mac" just last weekend. Pretty much par for right now. Water low. We usually boondock camp around Theis Bay on the northside. Have moved a bit further west this year to the Sandy Beach area. You could actually pull in thru @ Northshore Lodge and pull down on the beach near Sandy without a tractor if you wanted this trip. I found out about this after the fact. After about 4 days of that sun, sand, and wind, we went down below the dam on Lake Ogallalla at the campground down in the trees. Very peaceful with real grass, and just more sedate.

Clyde

'05 2955RL w. Onan 5.5 LP
'04.5 GMC D/A 4" exhaust, deep Allison pan, extra cap. rear diff. cover
SRW Short Bed Ext. Cab
16K Reese slider
Prodigy
and a smile this wide!
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #32
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Clyde,

I've heard that "Big Mac" was almost always windy. I was only there once as a kid so I don't remember. Is that correct?

mac

2006 2955RL
Old 08-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #33
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It wouldn't be fair to say it is always windy, as I've been there before and it was calm for the whole trip. But the last few time this year we've had one or two evenings that were down right horrific - sandstorms and damage. Dare say if I was on the water I probably would have lost the boat. But the place has been my friend for 22 years.

We'll probably winterize late september, but I never hesitate to take the Montana out in the Winter if we get the bug. It doesn't bother me to winterize it, but the boat is a little tougher.

I'm open to a State get together or combination of states anytime. It sounds great - especially after just finding this web page a few weeks ago.