Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Danperry

M.O.C. #11781
fireplace fan inop

We have been on a four month Alaska trip and have used the fireplace a lot. But the fan has stopped working. I was wondering is anyone has any troubleshooting advice on this subject.

We have a 2011 3400RL.

Dan and Sue

Danperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Most folks who have problems with the fireplace find it comes from wires coming loose. If it's more than that the manufacturer is great to work with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep, go ahead and pull it out and check it, the wires on mine were on top, John Kohl had some good pictures of the wires, could be the fan itself. Does anything happen when you turn it on?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Danperry

M.O.C. #11781
We are traveling pretty hard right now. Will look into it more when we get to Seattle. I pulled it out thumped the switches and pulled on some wires, the fan started to run again. Ran for the evening but failed to start up in the a.m. Thanks for the responses, new to MOC but really liking it.

Tally ho and away we go!!!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Yep, go ahead and pull it out and check it, the wires on mine were on top, John Kohl had some good pictures of the wires, could be the fan itself. Does anything happen when you turn it on?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Pull the fire place out and remove the top where the wires are.
Here is what I found.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
loua_loua
Established Member

M.O.C. #9330
Send a message via MSN to loua_loua
Dan: We had the fan fail on our 2011 3455SA. We contacted the manufacturer and they sent us a new one. We also went to Camping world, explained the problem and they had the manufacturer send a completely new fireplace and they installed it all at no cost. So, when all was said and done, we got a new fireplace, and a new blower unit which I carry with me just in case the blower fails again. The fireplace was under warranty when all this happened, and, the manufacturer was eager to send us a replacement blower. So, you might want to contact them and see what they'll do for you.
Hope this helps....
Lou & Gail
loua_loua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We had the same problem in our 2008 Big Sky. The problem ws that the OEM fan that came on the fireplace had a very weak motor. As soon as the dust built up on the squirrel cage the motor could no longer spin the cage. I did get it working for another month or so by opening up the fireplace and vacuuming the guts out. There was a terrible dust build up in there. The replacement fan they sent was much more powerful. Even so we always vacuum it out about every 6 months. So, check your wires and if they are good then vacuum the cage out very well and call Dimplex and they should sent you a whole new fan/heater unit. When it arrives check the box very carefully for damage and open it and check the heating element. the first one we got has been shattered in shipment. They just send us another one no charge for either..... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We had the same problem. We called Dimplex and the said it was blower assembly. It was out of warranty so we had to pay $127. They sent it and I installed it. Fireplace works fine now.
Must be something about being in Alaska. We, too, just returned from there.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
Danperry

M.O.C. #11781
Thanks everyone for all this info. We are in Bellingham now and will pull the unit and start troubleshooting. The weathers great so don't need the unit now.

When it went out, there was a smell of burning dust. It was when we were going over some pretty rough road. Will get back to everyone.

Dan
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
My fireplace has a 2 year warranty, Yours may still be covered.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
Danperry

M.O.C. #11781
The fireplace fan is working. Following this strings suggestions, i decided to take a look at the heater/fan on top of the unit. I opened it up and didn't find any loose wires and the dust in the unit was minimal. I put it back together and it works fine. Obviously, this is an intermittent problem and so difficult to troubleshoot. I suspect the reostat, Will have to wait til the next event, I guess. But the good news is that your support is great and the unit is working. Thanks all for your comments.

Tally ho and away we go!!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I had same problem after using the fireplace steady for a couple of months during the NorthWest winter. Called Dimplex and they sent me a new fan/heater assembly and arranged for a local repairman to install, all at no cost to me. Great customer service, they called after the installation to be sure everything went OK. Wires were fine it's just the fan motor wearing out under use, Dimplex said it's not made for the continuous use 24/7 that I was using it!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote