Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Upgrades Necessary and Nice to have.

Just ordered first 5th from Hershey show and would like to know recommended MUST HAVES and also future upgrades to look into.
Also tips and tricks welcome like “clips, hooks, adapters, etc”
montana20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
The first must have is a Surge Protector. The 2 major brands are Surge Guard and Progressive industries EMS. Both brands basically do the same with maybe slight differences. You can either get a portable unit which you plug into campsite power box or you can get a hardwired unit that is permanently mounted in your RV. I installed the Surge Guard 50 amp hardwired unit with the remote panel in my RV and it has been working great with no issues. It's personal preference as to which one you get. Do your research and decide which one works for you and also do a search on this forum.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
The first must have is a Surge Protector. The 2 major brands are Surge Guard and Progressive industries EMS. Both brands basically do the same with maybe slight differences. You can either get a portable unit which you plug into campsite power box or you can get a hardwired unit that is permanently mounted in your RV. I installed the Surge Guard 50 amp hardwired unit with the remote panel in my RV and it has been working great with no issues. It's personal preference as to which one you get. Do your research and decide which one works for you and also do a search on this forum.

Thanks been considering EMS vs Surge Only but have heard issues with hardwired units and certain generators like Honda and floating ground and no bypass on the hardwired units. I don't have a generator yet... the unit is ordered with Generator prep so I can do LP generator or can look into something like the Honda units. It has 2 AC's so eventually would like to get some suggestions about:

Power:
battery upgrades to do
solar panels
generator
slow start for AC's

eventually would like the ability to have solar for boon docking but for our first season with it we'll be using our seasonal site.

As far as Solar does anyone know, if possible, to use Solar as primary and House as secondary? We pay for electric at our seasonal which is fine but if I can use solar to offset part of that cost then that would be useful, as well as having the solar ready for dry camping.

Unit 3855BR comes with Residential Fridge so want to make sure whether we are doing a 2 hour or 6 hour drive things stay cold. Anyone with Residential Fridges have issues with this? I've only had RV fridges in the past that can run on gas while driving so hasn't been issue.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Been full timing for 15 years and never had surge protector. Maybe we were just lucky though a few claim they are more a bother than anything. I suppose nothing would be lost by having one but, as I said, we did not and camped all over the Country.
Maury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury View Post
Been full timing for 15 years and never had surge protector. Maybe we were just lucky though a few claim they are more a bother than anything. I suppose nothing would be lost by having one but, as I said, we did not and camped all over the Country.

You sir should buy a Powerball ticket today...or go with me to Vegas
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Maury
Established Member

M.O.C. #11300
Appreciated the humor (sarcasm?) Just my opinion and considering some of the ills that have befallen us in 15 years, doubt we were just lucky! So many things to consider when RV'ing and having surge protector one of them. We decided not to and do not regret it. Only this summer talked to man who had one and was complaining about trouble it gave him with some camp readings that suggested he not use that particular "post." Others have used it but maybe they, too, were lucky. Never spend money on P.Ticket nor Vegas!
Maury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
It was intended as humor for sure. We have had one or two electrical pedestal issues per season. I guess it's like an insurance policy.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Would help to know if Montana or High Country and floorplan.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Would help to know if Montana or High Country and floorplan.

2019 Montana 3855BR 20th Anniversary (Sorry thought it said on my profile to the left)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana20 View Post
2019 Montana 3855BR 20th Anniversary (Sorry thought it said on my profile to the left)
I am on my phone and did not see it. If you add the info to your signature and click on Show Signature then that info will always show below your message as it shows below many of ours.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I have the Progressive hardwired and it does have a bypass on my remote readout. Very happy. I did have to add a neutral ground bonded plug with my Honda, very easy to make yourself.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
I have the Progressive hardwired and it does have a bypass on my remote readout. Very happy. I did have to add a neutral ground bonded plug with my Honda, very easy to make yourself.

So you create a plug with neutral and ground jumped and plug that into the generator and good to go?
Old 09-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #13
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post

I agree

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
Yes that is correct.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #15
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Anyone have recommendations on EMS-LCHW50 vs EMS-HW50C.
Also mount location?
Also looking at Mopeka Dual Tank Sensor with Remote Monitor (https://www.campingworld.com/mopeka-...8aAuPxEALw_wcB)

Would probably want both remotes to be mounted inside the control panel where other monitors are.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Make sure you review the pros and cons of external vs internal EMS systems. If you are planning to boondock with a genny you want an internal system that you can turn off or an external that you don't plug in.

Not sure what size inverter your rig will come with for the residential reefer but you are going to want 2000-3000 watts for boondocking. Many of the models with the residential reefer come with 2000 which will work to power other things than the reefer.

After the EMS, my first priority would be your battery bank. I would go to a 4 or 6 battery bank of 6 volt golf cart batteries. If you have deep pockets consider going lithium - that bank would run you $4000-5000. This will support most of what you would want to do later with boondocking. If you can do this right away I would not waste money on the second 12 volt battery they will try to sell you as part of the residential reefer package. If you are not sure about boondocking wait on the battery bank.

Take your time on a lot of the other upgrades - read and talk to other folks before jumping on every new gadget. You should already have good tires, solid steps, good suspension and king pin and if you went legacy you should get disk brakes.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #17
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Make sure you review the pros and cons of external vs internal EMS systems. If you are planning to boondock with a genny you want an internal system that you can turn off or an external that you don't plug in.
If I understand the bonded neutral ground plug then this would work for internal and external EMS units (even without bypass). What, if any, are the pros and cons of each then?

Thanks for the info on the battery banks. I definitely don’t have deep pockets so will probably have to work up to that. Maybe while at seasonal I can get box plus 2 x 6 and work up to 4 or 6 total? Based on your comment guessing mine will only come with 1 x 12 and not 2?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana20 View Post
If I understand the bonded neutral ground plug then this would work for internal and external EMS units (even without bypass). What, if any, are the pros and cons of each then?

Thanks for the info on the battery banks. I definitely don’t have deep pockets so will probably have to work up to that. Maybe while at seasonal I can get box plus 2 x 6 and work up to 4 or 6 total? Based on your comment guessing mine will only come with 1 x 12 and not 2?
Here is a thread on internal vs external EMS.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=74094

Most dealers install a second battery in rigs with a residential reefer.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Where are you finding Legacy package will include disc brakes?
Disc brakes aren’t even in the available options I’m seeing on Montana order form.
Maybe I’m not looking in the right place.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #20
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
Where are you finding Legacy package will include disc brakes?
Disc brakes aren’t even in the available options I’m seeing on Montana order form.
Maybe I’m not looking in the right place.
I didn’t mention disc brakes but 20th with Legacy did have them on the order form under Legacy package. Didn’t opt for the Legacy $8k option.