Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
DirectTV

We are dropping Comcast because they keep raising our rates and are tired of dealing with them. We got them to lower our Bill by dropping some channels But we lost TV in the Bedroom in the process. Which they did not tell us at the time. And the only way to get it back is to rent another Box for $8 a month, because the box we use now wont work with the Package we are now on.
So for those of you that have had DirectTV installed, when they installed it, did they change out all the splitters saying they had to use there own? Why wont the splitters that keystone installs work? Why doesn't just hooking up a satelite dish and installing the New Boxes work?
We had an appointment today to have it installed. And were going to keep Comcast internet until Thursday when we have an appointment to have Centurylink installed. But he said we could not use Comcast Internet with Direct TV because they use the same Bandwith. So He suggested he come back the same day so we don't do without internet till then. Am I missing something here?

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K&Gs3400RL

when they installed it, did they change out all the splitters saying they had to use there own? Why wont the splitters that keystone installs work? Why doesn't just hooking up a satelite dish and installing the New Boxes work?
I don't know if an RV would be different but when I got my HD receiver DTV came and installed a new fancy dish, supplied all the cable and connectors at no cost to me. My non HD receiver and dish that I use for the RV works fine with the cables and splitters that came in the rig.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Unfortunately, cable and satellite installers usually know little to nothing about RVs and their inherent wiring. If you don't know either then all kinds of sins can be committed.

All Montanas since 2010 have separate coax (RG6) installed for satellite use. There are no splitters in these circuits. There is a coax which feeds the living room and another which feeds the bedroom. They are completely seperate from the OTA/cable feed which does have splitters. A picture of the television cable wiring can be found at several spots on the MOC. Here is one
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...wiring,diagram
Be sure to use the diagram for the 2009/2010 models.

I can't comment on what Comcast did without seeing the wiring. Since they deliver TV signals and Intenet over the same wire, I suspect they utilized the satellite cable. They provide their own splitters as they have a very high bandwidth signal they are sending.

I can tell you I have DirecTV installed, using the "satellite" circuits in both the living room and the bedroom. You do have to figure out a way to get the output from the satellite receiver to the TV. Montana provides the input signal over the supplied coax, but doesn't provide a connection for the output. As my TV already has an OTA/cable coax attached to the "Antenna" RF port, I choose to use a component cable connect from my DirecTV receiver. I am still using SD. When I upgrade to HD I will use the HDMI interface. There are several ways to hook this stuff up, I choose one that works for me.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
The receiver supplies power to the LNB on the dish. If there is a splitter in the coax between the receiver and the dish, the power will not pass thru the splitter. There are splitters that allow the power to pass, but those are not used by Keystone, and I doubt by anyone.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Bighornram and Carl sorry I misspoke when I said they "installed". Comcast has not done anything to this trailer. When we bought the 3400RL last month all I did was take the Comcast boxes out of the old Mountaineer and put them in the New Rig. So all the cable is factory right now. So my question is, Why cant DirectTV just install the Dish and the two Boxes inside, and everything work with existing cable. Isn't that why Montana Now has both a cable connection and a satellite connection in the entertainment center's?
bw2 I only see One splitter on the diagram that Carl posted so My guess is thats the only splitter to replace?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If DirecTV connects the dish to the satellite connections (bedroom and living room) in the convenience center and then connects the receivers to the satellite connections in those locations, it will work fine. There are no splitters in those circuits.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Thanks for the info, we will tell him to hook everything up first before he goes changing anything. One more question anyone purchase there own equipment and then call for service?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
You can purchase your own equipment,but it's still actually Directv's equiptment and you'll have to return it to Directv if you cancel plus you'll pay 6.00 a month to use it!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

I have a 2008 Mountaineer and I had the dealer run a separate satellite feed to the living room. I simply took the receiver from the bedroom and plug it in and the satellite receiver finds the signal and all is good. I have the winegard portable dome and love it. As for Comcast internet not compatible with DirectTV, I am using it right now. I have found that the installers 'make' problems as it gives them a higher install fee with the company. A couple years ago they cut a couple cables which I didn't catch and had to come back...can you say double charge?

Only other thing I would be careful of is when you switch to Century Link, make sure the signal is not at the fringes of coverage or you will get poor speed. They can check it and you will know before you install. I tried to go with them and I am right at the end of the area giving me about dial up speed. Was also trying to dump Comcast!

Have fun
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just a quick point of interest. Not all 2010 Montanas have seperate lines. They must have started towards the end of 2010 as our 2010 2955RL mfr'd in Sept of 09 has a common line for Satellite and Cable and you have to change the positon of the jumper behind the LR TV. We solved the problem by having the Winegard 3005 Trav'ler installed on the Roof.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
When I went to Camping World, they told me that when they install the Wineguard Traveler antenna, that they replace all the RG6 cables in the RV with RG7. Comments?????
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Well They installed DirectTV on Thursday, The installer Loved the new set up in our Montana. He said he had just spent 5 hrs on another 5th wheel Not having the set up we do. The cable and Satellite are two different systems in our trailer. He was not the same guy that came out the first time and said he had no idea what he was talking about. But all is good, Now all we need to do is fork over the money for a take along dish.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We picked up our tripod and dish from a Radio Shack store. Cost was about $50. It is the 3 LNB type dish. We are able to run 3 cables into our trailer. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We have Direct TV and also have comcast for our internet. We do not have any problems with this setup. I checked the speed of Century link for our area and it comes up with 1.5 mps. Right now I am running 20 mps with comcast so hard to go back to 1.5. We pay $5.00 extra if we do not use comcast for the TV but would love to get rid of comcast just because they charge this $5.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Did the speed test for century link and I got 19.76 mbps and on speedtest.net it was 19.25 the third one I did was on speakeasy it was 18.96 So far I am satisfied we switched.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #16
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I see all the time advertisements,if you're a new Directv customer they'll give you a free travel kit that includes a dish,50ft. of cable and a tripod plus they even throw in a wrench.
I'd call,it doesn't hurt to ask!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote