Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
bikefever
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9158
Axle and Tire wear

Still having problem tire wear. Had the rear axle replaced in Anchorage and two new G614 tires installed. After about two hundred miles on Alaska roads I noticed that the left rear tire was leaning out and was showing wear on the inside. Now in Whitehorse the axle will be removed and straightened if bent.

Here is my question: before leaving on this Alaskan journey, Camping World in Burlington WA welded a couple of steel bars behind the rear axle to improve stability. I am thinking that this is making the suspension rigs and perhaps transferring loads to wear to the axle and increasing stress on it.

I am thinking about having the bars removed when the axles gets reinstalled. Appreciate your thoughts on the stabiliazer bars.

bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Where were the bars attached to the axels?
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many folks have installed X Factor, which are in essence metal bars running between the frame members near the axles. Those of us who have Mor/Ryd IS have a couple large tubes welded across in approximately the same area. Both ways of doing it haven't resulted in folks having tire wear problems, reported here anyway. I can't imagine that's your problem unless the frame was bent when they welded them or some other weird thing is going on.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If whoever you had put on the new axle did not align it and align it with the the front axle, there is your problem. If they did do this then I would say the new axle they put on is out of camber. I had the problem but my wear was on the front axle after we changed out the rear one. Took it into a reputable axle shop here and they aligned the axles again and also put the camber back in the front axle. This was a whole lot cheaper than having the axle replaced--about $148 total. Hope you can get your problem figured out because replacing tires is not cheap especially the G614s.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm thinking along the same lines as Rondo ... if they simply bolted the new axle on your rig and said here you go ... they missed the important step of checking / adjusting the alignment. I can't comment on the "bars" welded to your frame, but like said, many of us use a version of the XFactor which is a beam(s) crosswise between the suspension mounts. Whitehorse business should not remove the axle to "straighten" it. All larger axles have a slight bow upward in the middle to create camber. All larger axles have the spindles angled ever so slightly forward to account for toe-in. You need to find a shop that has the equipment to check alignment as the fiver sits on both axles. The weight of your fiver will change the axle measurements as compared to an axle just lying on a pair of saw horses.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Don't know anything about this product but picked up a information pamphlet the other day at dealer. Don't know if this is something that might help. www.themobileoutfitters.com .Look under products for correct track.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm not a fan of the aftermarket version of this product. It in effect increases the length of your spring eye frame mounts (read possibly more stress) and ultimately raises your fiver up an inch or two. Our frame mounts are not exactly a "Tower of Power" to start with. I'm sure the company will explain all of this away, but ........ Any reputable alignment shop will get your axles squared away without this kit.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote