Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
Abq Balloon Fiesta

Starting to plan our trip to the Balloon Fiesta for 2012. Any tips out there from people who have attended. Will probably use the RV premium parking. Any days better than others, length of stay, parking info, not to miss items, best eats, day trips, anything that will help me plan for a group of 3 or 4 5th wheels.

Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have been 4 times and stayed for the whole thing plus a day of two early but most people don't want to spend that much time there. If you are only going to be there for 2 or 3 days I would recommend arriving mid- week during the show as this is when the special shapes balloons start flying. You will be just across the street from the launch field and won't have to worry about driving over as free shuttle busses are provided. Things we enjoyed while there were Old town Albuquerque, Santa Fe and on the west side of town is the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center and they generally have special activities, dancing during the festival. We don't really have any favorite there for food, but beware of things with green chiles as some use Hatch,NM chiles and they are HOT. If you don't feel like cooking in the morning before going to the ballon field there is plenty of food to choose from over there. If you want the premium parking you better reserve very early.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Sage advice from Charlie or Nila. However, they are dead wrong about the green chiles. Hatch green chiles are good on everything except dessert. Correct that last statement. If you count ice cream as dessert, they go good with vanilla. Over 10 years in Abq and I have my chiles imported to Florida. Your only decision should be, red or green.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
Thanks guys for the info. Looking forward to our first time at the Fiesta. Picked up several pounds of hatch chiles in Durango late Aug this year. Wife cook with them throughout the year. Enjoy a Hatch chili burger from time to time.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Don't forget a side trip on the Sandia Tramway. But don't go if you are afraid of heights.

And if you are finding it hard to breathe while in Albuquerque, don't forget it's as high or higher in altitude than Denver and the air is thinner. Then, you can imagine when you take the Tram and it goes to over 11,000 ft and you'll wonder what happened to your breathing all of a sudden. Drink lots of water before hand and during and you should do fine. You might even try a small hike along the ridge line if you have enough wind left or just stick around the sights to see at the top. In winter this is a ski resort.

The best days are the start and end of the festival. Then there may be a couple of the events during the week you might want to see or (if you can afford the prices) take a balloon ride, too. In 1979, it cost $60 for one person.

As 8.1al points out, it's been proven that the same chile grown elsewhere that is grown in New Mexico is hotter (allegedly, it's the soil, but I think it was the A-bomb development). But I like it hot and love the food anyway. Consider yourself warned! I think the slogan is "We tone down our chiles with food". Texax5er is my hero. That burger sounds GREAT!

There are also road trips you can take around the area. If you get a chance, look for roadside stands that feature Homemade Native American bread made from the igloo looking kilns. That is SOOOOO good, fresh out of those ovens. Many stores will also feature homemade blankets (not the cheap mass produced crap made in Mexico or China). You'll notice the quality difference but expect some sticker shock. We actually bought a small throw blanket in 1980 and it is still as strong as ever (no wear, no nothing).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote