Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #21
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2
[br
Hi Jack the way we were instructed to lube the legs is all hands on, pop the cap off the leg (my method) oil pump and s few squirts down the center post under the (gear). and pump some greese into the gear area put the cap back on and go back to work.
Don,
Thanks for the info on lubing the LG. I will give it a try and see what happens.

Grant,
I apologize if we hijacked your post.

Jack

Old 05-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #22
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Grant,
Don't know about that blanket "all of the South" statement, but . . you ain't seen hot and humid around Williamsburg/Jamestown till mid August - not hard to figure out why Cornwallis said "Enough", in wool uniforms, yet.
On edit - found the fittings on my 2010 3400RL, shot a half-dozen pumps of Mobil 1 full synthetic in there, figured it shouldn't hurt anyway.
Regards,
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #23
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

The remote will work the outside lights any time but to activate the landing legs, rear stabilizers or slides you have to turn the remote on via the switch inside the access door on the side of the trailer as well as selecting the function you want to activate.
All I see inside the access door on the side is a switch for the landing jacks, rear stabilizers, and one for each of the slides. Which switch "turn the remote on via the switch inside the access door on the side of the trailer"?
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #24
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Grant,
Are you activating the key fob before you try to use it? It has a "Time-Out" feature of about 10 minutes. I'll bet you did not get the instructions for it so here is a link to the users guide: Remote Operation. If that doesn't work, you might want to try reprogramming the system which is covered in the instructions in the link. Hope this helps.
Jack

ON EDIT: If I remember correctly, when the remote system is activated, the red light on the control/receiver module in the front compartment will be on as well.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #25
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

Grant,
Are you activating the key fob before you try to use it? It has a "Time-Out" feature of about 10 minutes. I'll bet you did not get the instructions for it so here is a link to the users guide: Remote Operation. If that doesn't work, you might want to try reprogramming the system which is covered in the instructions in the link. Hope this helps.
Jack

ON EDIT: If I remember correctly, when the remote system is activated, the red light on the control/receiver module in the front compartment will be on as well.
Thanks Jack,

I don't recall seeing those instructions in my bag of manuals.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #26
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Gang,
Just the thought of drilling a hole into a compartment or leg housing gives me the chills. Whenever I drilled into anything, metal or wood, shavings were created. It would be an awful experience to have drilled into a leg to give the lubrication process a boost, only to have the shavings fall into that grease and then into the gears that operate the legs, only to create a more expensive problem, that is to have to replace the leg because the gears became jammed with greasy shavings.
Just my 2 cents worth.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

Our 2010 3400RL has Zerk fittings near the top of the front landing gear.

Has anyone come across an official recommendation from Keystone, Lippert or whoever as to how much grease and how often?

Just found my zerks while lubing the gear then found this post. After looking at the venture site and finding this http://www.venturemfgco.com/admin/up...e/LG-Specs.pdf I enlarged the gear drawing to actual scale and it looks to me that the zerk is between the centering plate and jack nut. Looks like the zerk is there to fill that cavity to lube everything below the bevel gear. So I will fill it until I get a little resistance and gave it a couple shots more. That's what I will try anyway.

Edit: Well I did it and came up with the conclusion that I could put a tube of grease in each gear if they were extended so maybe it would be better if they were retracted when greasing. Will see if I have better luck getting anything out of Venture.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #28
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
mojavemike, just so happens I had to replace a landing gear leg assemble the other day and ordered it from Venture. I ask does the new one come with a Zerk. Answer...WHAT Zerk? The new leg assemble I got did not have a zerk fitting in it and the PDF diagram on the link does not reflect any zerk fitting on it either. So my question is, Who's the secret guy in the factory drilling and putting a zerk fitting on the leg.
The position of the zerks sound like they are trying to lube the legs more than supply grease for the bevel gears or the bearing.

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #29
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Leaseit

mojavemike, just so happens I had to replace a landing gear leg assemble the other day and ordered it from Venture. I ask does the new one come with a Zerk. Answer...WHAT Zerk? The new leg assemble I got did not have a zerk fitting in it and the PDF diagram on the link does not reflect any zerk fitting on it either. So my question is, Who's the secret guy in the factory drilling and putting a zerk fitting on the leg.
The position of the zerks sound like they are trying to lube the legs more than supply grease for the bevel gears or the bearing.

Randy
Looking at the diagram in the PDF, the centering plate would prevent you from filing the leg with grease, provided you don't use a lot of pressure, but it also prevents grease from getting on the threads that raise and lower the leg. That may be why lots of folks use heavy oil instead.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #30
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Quote:
quote:Looking at the diagram in the PDF, the centering plate would prevent you from filing the leg with grease, provided you don't use a lot of pressure, but it also prevents grease from getting on the threads that raise and lower the leg. That may be why lots of folks use heavy oil instead
Tom, I took another look at the diagram, then measured 4 inches down on my old leg and if the zerk fittings are installed anywhere from 3 to 4 inches from the top, the zerk fitting would be below the Thrust Channel and Centering Plate, but above the Jack Nut. It look like they want to try and get grease on the Jack Nut and Jack Screw and maybe the Thrust bearing all at once.
I suppose if the legs were extended and you pumped enough ( Like a whole Tube) of grease in, you could get everything lubricated at once.
You would still need to open the top cap and grease the gears manually.

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #31
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I have an '08 unit with no zerk. I add some moly grease to the gears on the top a couple time a season and smear it around.

For the screw below I put a tablespoonfull of outboard lower end gear oil down. ANy decent outboard engine shop should carry it. It's a high quality gear oil. The first time I did it I put in too much and it ran down and out the bottom. However, I could hear a difference particularily when under load. Also adds a bit of lube to the tubes as they telescope.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We just had new landing gear including a gearbox put on our unit while on the way home and there are no grease zerks on them so it must be specific years for the landing legs.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #33
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl

I don't have a zert fitting and would not rely on that zert fitting. I talked with Venture who made the legs back in 09 when they first showed up. They indicated they did not install them. One problem I see is that fitting is not going to lubricate the gears because it is below them. Popping the top will do that. Second, Unless you have high pressure behind the grease I do not think it will reach the screw shaft to lubricate it.

The guidance I have operated under is if the top is dry I pour some 90 weight up there and aim it toward the center hoping it will flow down the screw shaft. Second I take normal axle grease and pack the top of the gears until it is full but not packed down just full.
I feel that grease will warm up with weather and continue to lubricate the shaft and the two tubes that slide together. With this type of lubrication and access to the heavy dust environment I agree they should probably be cleaned every other year or if they show any sine of binding.
This is my opinion.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Been doing what John said for 3 years and will continue to follow that preventative measure.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #35
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
When I broke down my last set of jacks, I figured where to drill two (@) grease sprat holes on the leg. I drilled a small hole 5" and 13" from the top of the square leg. This allows grease to get to the top of the spin gear when retracted and extended. Doing this, you don't have to break it apart to grease the spin gear. I use the white spray lithium grease you can get at any auto parts store. Use a self tapping screw to cover hole when done.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote