Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
2nd A/C changeout (noise)

Any suggestions for a different 2nd A/C? I am going to change out my 13.5 K DuoTherm Penguin with another unit. The roaring noise - even on "Low Fan" is way too much. Cannot even hear the BR TV over it - no exaggeration.

I would like input as to any unit that would be at least HALF the db that this one is. I know DuoTherm makes a 7.1 K unit. Don't know if that's a "low profile" unit, but I don't think I need 13.5 K up front (maybe I do). There are several other brands out there, though. I sure would appreciate any help on this...

Just talking with Cheryl... She said could I imagine having that non-ducted Penguin running in the LR instead of the main one we have... I said OMG , we would have to yell in the LR to hear each other.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

Our 2003 did have the Penquin as a ducted unit in our 2003, and it was a noisy thing, especially with the dump grill open. (it also liked to rain on us a lot).

Our new unit has the full size Duo-Therm Quick Cool (ducted) like yours, and it is quieter.

Our front unit is the Duo-Therm Brisk-Air (same unit but non-ducted) and it is reasonably quiet, but I have no basis for comparison. We didn't have a front AC on our 2003. It is definately NOT low profile though - and is the highest point our unit (13' 3").

Might be hard to get a comparison without actually knocking on neighbors doors to see if you can listen to thier ACs. Could be that anything low profile is going to be noiser just by design.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Brad. If you turn on our Penguin, it almost makes you wince. I would never use it, except in an emergency situation.

If all low profiles are going to be this loud, I will go will a full size unit (13.5 K or less, though).

What's the difference in inches in clearance for your unit? Did I hear some other MOCer(s) mention that their MaxxAir vents were actually the tallest part of their roof - taller than their A/Cs??? If so, then maybe a full sized (or non-low profile) front A/C would not be an issue then?

Do you know anything about the 7.1 K Duo Therm?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
dsprik

I agree with Brad on the noise, we added the 2nd DuoTherm Brisk-Air A/C and isn't too bad on the ears.

Larry
Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't know Dave they are all noisy. You have the same unit as we do in the bedroom.Remember we are just a couple of feet away from it, unlike the stick house. If you would stand a couple of feet away from the A/C in the stick house it would also be noisy. It is also unducted like a window A/C in the stick house. The main one in the living area is also noisy. We are close to all the noise makers in these campers so everythng sounds loud compaired to our stick homes., it is 85 and humid in Mobile, Al, Right now the rear A/C is on Hi cool, Med fan. The front A/C where we are is off.There is of course no one in the BR to be annoyed by the noise and the cool air spilling down from the BR keeps the living area comfortable and quiet. Tonite if we need the A/C we will turn the BR A/C off and the Main A/C on. No one in the living area to hear the noise and cool and quiet in the BR. This thus far has worked for us and solved the Loud A/C issue with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity, in Ohio..You just gotta adapt to RV living..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have just switched to try your method, Rich. Just out of curiousity. I am running on low fan/max cool. I don't really have a problem with the LR main being that noisy, but it is a little quieter this way.

Hey! What are you doing in Mobile??? Cheryl wants to know if you guys are coming to see us?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are at a FCRV Campvention. We are on our way home and we have a service center appointment for a few minor repairs April 16th. We really do not want to go home but..we just gotta. We have decided to start the winter out in Fla next winter so we will get together on that..We are on Max cool med fan..outside temp 84.6..don't know what the humidity is but its high..Temp here at the PC desk is 75.6 , Helen is cooking Frieeed chicken,,collard greens, and our Mississippi.. Neighbor said they would bring over some chittlens..don't know that that is but it don't sound good. We do have this communications problem..He says I talk funny and were in the world did I learn to speak english.. Yaall Heah now..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
It was 85 earlier today, now 77. Hardly need the A/C as we have extremely LOW humidity right now - fire danger. Humidity in the 30s and 40s makes the 80s actually comfortable. We have actually shut off the A/C now, opened the windows and turned on the FF.

If I had a "regular" height "Brisk Air" Duo Therm, how many inches am I sacrificing over a "low profile"? And would a regular size 13.5 K front A/C be lower than any Max Air vents? Some say their MaxAir vents are the highest point in their Montana, but not sure if those are MOCers with a front A/C or not.

Rich, have some info for you on Disney for when we are all down here next year. I'll PM later.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
DAVE - It's not going to make a difference any unit will discharge directly into the bedroom, if it's not going into the duct's it going to be just as noisy. Sorry to say.. Looking forward to seeing you in Branson. Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's possible, John, but there has got to be a quieter non-ducted A/C out there than this one. I have had some previous experience with these types. I am not happy with this one...
Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

See if you can find somebody that has the Brisk-Air in front and try to get a demo for comparison before you drop the bucks. We haven't had to run ours because of the weather, but I've had it running for testing and its not bad. Again, I don't have the Penguin any more to compare it to.

To give you an idea on height: Our storage unit is 13' 8" high. I got on the roof and measured as Dory backed in. I added a 12" high satellite dome right in the middle of the flat part of the roof (just forward of the kitchen vent). The dome is 1-1/2" shorter than the front AC. Therefore, if you add 13.5" to the top of your roof at the highest point, that's where you'll be. More simply, I believe the Brisk Air is 4" higher than the Penguin. (Sorry - we don't have the vent covers to use as a comparison).

Perhaps you can get a point of reference from my roofline:

Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Brad. The photos are useful. What was the reason you did not go with a low profile on this 3400?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

We ordered our 2nd AC through the factory and it came with the Brisk Air. I guess the low profiles are not available through the factory, only through the Dealer.

Brad
Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Has anyone heard of the Sunpentowns line of portable air conditioners? They are self evaporating, pull 38 pints of moisture from the air a day, and th 10000 btu unit operates on less than 900 watts. The 10000 BTU unit weighs a hefty 71 lbs but it is on wheels. Also doubles as a heater. Just google sunpentowns. Oh yeah, the 10000 BTU unit only costs around $450.00. Might be an alternative to another roof mount. They do make larger units also. Would be interested on hearing reports or thoughts.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil,

We actually had some of these placed in our offices by the Utility Department when the chillers went down. It took a while to realize that for every btu/h of chilled air produced, there is an equal btu/h of heat produced with no place for it to go. As a result, they ended up running these giant plastic ducts from the units over to the windows to exhaust the heat. I felt like we were working in a laboratory. May not be the same units, but the ones we had were pretty ineffective.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Brad, these do have a vent hose to the outside. I was thinking of a dryer vent setup to the outside and a long vent hose if I want to run it to the living room. Would mainly use in the bedroom. We are so used to sleeping below 60 degree that I need to do something. Just looking at alternavies right now.....
Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil, sorry I didn't catch the hose on the web page. Should work OK then.

Price is pretty close to a rooftop AC though. CW has the rooftop Duo Therm 13.5 at $521.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Does anyone have experience with the Coleman line? They don't seem to have a low profile, but are they any better than the Duo-therm? Noise level would be a consideration of course.....
Old 04-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil - Coleman does have a low profile (Polar Cub). Looks to be comparable to the Penguin.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
As you know, I have the low profile Dometic 13,500 btu a/c in the bedroom. I run the heat strip usually most nights during April and May, as well as September and October. The fan noise does not really bother me. I am not a light sleeper, but not a heavy sleeper either. As for those hot summer nights, as long as I run the fan speed on low or medium I can usually sleep right through it. High speed will keep me up... I wonder why your is so loud?? I am interested in the final outcome, keep me informed please...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote