Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Low E windows.

I built my stick house 28 years ago, my Dad and I did it all, framed it, finished it, wired it, plumbed it, and it has been a great house but the windows we put in were a cheap double pane aluminum and the seals have failed and the windows have condensation between the glass layers and always look dirty from the outside. Time to change them. I have got several estimates and have been told of the benefits of what they call Low E glass. My question to the MOC membership whom I have come to respect and value their opinions.

Is low E glass worth the extra cost? Pros ? Cons? Thanks

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Get the best "double pane low E" windows that you can afford. They really help. We live in an area that had the houses built in the late 60s. Standard single pane windows. Since then, of course, the double pane low E has become the standard. I believe that it is code now. Our whole neighborhood has changed to the low e double pane windows.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Low E windows are worth the extra cost especially in a cold climate as you are. You can feel a difference of temperature touching the glass on low E windows compared to dual pane windows. If you don't want to remove the old window frames to install new windows, retrofit replacement windows are easy to install.

Don
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:36 AM   #4
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Yes! Low E windows are worth it. Here in ND I think that is the standard.
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm a putts! What is Low E? (from what I hear, not low expense)
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
A reasonable explanation of low e glass...

http://www.doubleglazing.com/low_e_glass.htm

I have been a replacement window contractor for nearly 20 years...low e is a must. Double pane is really a must too - triple pane only if you are in a severe weather area, otherwise it's a waste of money.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I would also like to add...there are different coatings you can get as well (in addition to...)
For instance - one coating on the inside of the outer pane, or a different coating on the outside of the inner pane.
They achieve different results. One blocks the heat, and the other blocks the cold.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358

Oops...didn't mean to double post...it didn't take...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Thanks Putts, I was hesitant to ask . Pretty neat stuff Ozzie, good info.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Why you're welcome Lonnie!

OZZIE, thanks for the link. I guess I can assume my 1993 Weathershields are not Low E from what I can read.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Another very good feature of low e is blocking the harmful rays of the sun. Your nice carpet, hardwood flooring, and window treatments will stay that way.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ozzie, is it true house plants will not grow well with Low E because they need the UVs to thrive.

That is what the window contractor told us, so my Daughter who loves plants and has a room full of them has said no to low E in her room. We probably will go for it every where else.

Ozzie, what about Bronze glass? The Argon filled, we are getting as it is only 200.00 extra.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Sorry for the late reply Wrenchtraveller...I wasn't ignoring you.
I got up this morning and saw your last post and was looking for the answer before going to work.
What I've found so far is saying it isn't the low e that hurts the plants - it's the reduction in light coming through the windows.
This reduction can come from any type of glass coating, not specific to low e.
That's what I've found so far, and that was from a horticulturist from a Wisc. University. I can dig up the link for you...it was just a blurb.

To quote:

"Low E coatings are thin metallic coatings on windows that reduce heat loss through glass. They do reduce the amount of ultraviolet light coming through window glass somewhat. While the normal double glazed window lets 52% of the ultraviolet light through, various types of low e glass let between 0.5% and 36% through. However, according to a horticulturist I contacted ultraviolet light is not critical for plant growth. She indicated that the percentage of visible light low E coatings are thin metallic coatings on windows that reduce heat loss through glass. They do reduce the amount of ultraviolet light coming through window glass somewhat. While the normal double glazed window lets 52% of the ultraviolet light through, various types of low e glass let between 0.5% and 36% through. However, according to a horticulturist I contacted ultraviolet light is not critical for plant growth. She indicated that the percentage of visible light is the issue of concern. A normal double glazed window lets about 81% of the available visible light through while low-e glass lets between 62% and 76% through depending on the manufacturer. The reduction might be enough to impact the growth of some species. Manufacturers of the windows you are considering should be able give you the figures for their glass."

That's all there was, but here's the link anyway...
Low E