Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
crew cab or extended/supercab?

While I am still trying to make the decision between Ford and Chevy, I'm getting closer to deciding just what I want to get in the way of features and options on a tow vehicle--one ton diesel, auto transmission, long bed, 4x4 SRW. I had thought that I had also nailed down going with the extended or supercab because I felt that the crew cab was just too long when coupled with the long bed. But then one post on another thread argued strongly for the crew cab. I did a search and couldn't find prior discussions on the crew vs. extended/supercab (they may be there, but I seem to be unsuccessful when I do searches), so I thought I'd start a new thread on this one to keep from getting it confused with my other thread on other options to get with 350/3500 vehicles. I may have to make a decision this week to take advantage of some great rebates on remaining 2006 vehicles in existing dealer inventories, so your feedback will be much appreciated.

Within that context, here are some additional facts. The truck would strictly be a secondary vehicle until we start full timing, at which point we would only expect to have someone in the back seat on limited occasions--taking another couple out to dinner while on the road, or taking some young grandchildren along for short trips. No garage problems--I'll be parking in the lot outside our condo. But as discussed in my thread about traveling out west with a 4x4, I would like to be able to get around on back roads in national and state parks out west which apparently have some hairpin turns, which I fear could be problematic with a longbed crew cab.

OK, with all that background, the question is--what are the pros and cons of going with the crew cab vs the extended/supercab?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
IMHO with your use described, I would go with the extended cab vs the crew cab. I am in the same boat, just me an the misses and occasional grandchildren but even at that for a temporary ride there is room in the extended cab. I know we pack a lot of stuff back there when we go on trips. My Son-in-law has a crew cab long bed and it takes him 40 acres to turn that rig around. Consider your basic shopping parking lot - as a matter of fact have the dealer let you test drive one and take it to a parking lot then make your decision.

Phill & Gladys
Sometimes me sits and thinks - sometimes me just sits.
06 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4
06 Montana 3400RL
Bichon - CEO
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:09 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
This is a topic of opinions. I personally would not have anything other than a 4 door crew cab. I figure if I'm big anyway why would I not take advantage of the extra space and comfort of a crew cab because of being a couple inches bigger. I don't think you would notice any difference in driving or handling or even parking. I drive my CC everyday as my daily driver because I like driving it better than my car. I take it anywhere and everywhere. Again this is my opinion and what i like. I respect others views and decision...... test drive and decide what best fits you.

Steve & Betty (AKA steves)
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
David and Jo-Anna, you ask and you will cecieve. Crew cab! Check this out, the crew cab on a GMC is a whopping 10inches longer than a extended cab. Our 99 GMC was an ext cab and I wanted a deisel, so I had to go along on a couple things the wife wanted. She HAD to have leather and a crew cab. I only agreed just so I could have my deisel. Well let me tell you, I personally will not have another truck without the crew cab, I could still take or leave the leather. Now I know you are going to say "you have a short bed truck". Yes I do, but the long bed will not fit in my garage. I drove them all and so should you to make up your own mind, but you did ask for opinions! By the way, the turning radius is onlt a couple feet more on circumference. Have fun looking and do have the dealer let you drive both. Also try all the major brands, I don't think they will differ from another in that respect.
I am correct in the 10 inches difference or should I say 9.5 inches!
Steve&Patti 2004 model 3280
2002 Duramax 4x4 crew cab SB
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
David,

I know that Bob cusses our 2500HD Chevy Diesel Crew Cab LB quite often when it comes time to park. We ordered ours from Chevrolet at the end of 2005. The truck rides smoother because of the long bed than the other ones when we test drove them. Since it was a test drive we weren't traveling over all sorts of terrain. I would discuss your turn radius with the dealership and see what figures they give you, and as suggested try all of them out in the parking lot. One other thing you have been worried about weight you pick up extra carrying weight when you go with the SB over the LB.

One thing that was very important to me was the seats in the truck. I have a bad back and having seats that could adjust was important to me. If you are spending 8 - 10 hours a day pulling in the truck you might want to check the seats out. We also have mirrors that have a switch that we can extend out and retract when not towing. We got all of the dealer incentives and rebates when we ordered ours and still got exactly what color and all goodies that we wanted on it.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:42 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had supercab trucks for a long time and they did quite well for us. This last time we got a crew cab because our granddaughters are growing up and getting longer. They fit better in the crew cab. Here's a small list of crew cab advantages I can think off the top of the head.

1. When at rallies or we meet up with another MOC couple we have room to all go out in the same vehicle.

2. All the groceries fit in the cab, out of the rain, the wind, and away from easy theft if we want to make another stop on the way home.

3. Likewise, other purchases can be stored inside.

4. The longer wheelbase rides better.

5. Our granddaughters, and adults, can ride very comfortably in the back seat for long distances.

In the Ford with the 4x4 the turn radius is short enough I no longer get frustrated about parking. It turns about the same as our supercab trucks did. Maybe even a bit better. That doesn't mean I don't have to do a backup and straighten out in tight quarters. It is a long truck, after all. But I do it a whole lot less than I used to.

Bottom line is get whichever best fits your needs. Both are good choices.

Driftwoodgal, I think you meant because of the long wheelbase, and you're correct in that case. I say that because my shortbed crewcab has a longer wheelbase than a longbed with standard or supercab. It's the wheelbase that affects the ride. A very common misconception about bed length.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Steve,

LOL I am glad you knew what I meant. Yes, the longer wheelbase makes the ride smoother, granted it doesn't ride like my Tahoe. My Tahoe won't pull the Monty so I will offer it up and suffer through the extra bumps to be on the road

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I have had 3 extended cabs and now this super/crew 4 dr. model and am very happy with it. Considering the price of all these trucks today, I don't want to buy one and then two years later wish I had more room and 4WD or anything else. I love them when they are paid for, I can camp more. Good luck with your decision! Mine would be to have the needed room now. Like someone said previously, shopping, groceries, company and comfort makes it well worth it.

Mike & Debbie
2003 3295RK,2002 F250 4x4 Supercab,7.3,
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
The max trailer weight for the crewcab long bed is 16,400 lbs, while the extended cab long bed is 16,600 lbs. You are losing approx 200 lbs of weight by going w/ the crewcab over an ext cab. I am on my 2nd crewcab and I would not go back to an ext cab truck. (remember I am single) Having the extra room for people, groceries, luggage, ect is worth it to me. Having grown up in the midwest and the west, many folks round here have crew cab longbed trucks. Hauling livestock and horse trailers, or farm equipment is a pretty common site in these neck of the woods. If you plan ahead when it comes to parking, I do not feel that either one is going to be a problem. The length difference is 9" between the two. 247" for the ext cab and 256" for the crew. Best of luck on your decision.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I've had three trucks that were ECs and planned on getting another EC dually. However, after camping with the EC...the back doors are a pain, have to open the front first, and seeing how much more 'stuff' you can get in the CC, we ordered a CC for the dually. One correction to Emmel's post, in the GM LB series the CC is only 7.1" longer than the EC (256.2" vs249.1"). Also, my friendly Chevy dealer said he sells many many more CCs than ECs in the heavy duty trucks...translation, easier to sell/trade and you get more money back.

I figured in a truck that is over 21' long, what's another 7"!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
CC resale is much higher for all of the reasons above.

Also, the clam shell door opening of an extended cab make it impossible to access the interior if you are parked next to another vehicle with both the front and rear suicide door open. Try this out, it is frustrating.

Last point, the centre pillar of a CC is a much stronger design. Your doors slam against that pillar and not another door.
Slam the door of an extended cab. Not pretty at all. If you really want an extended cab, go Dodge 4 door extended cab with real doors, not suicide panels that force the front passengers out so the rear passengers can escape.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Opinions - Opinions, everybody has one and that is ok as long as they agree with mine
However some people only deal with facts so I pulled up the "official" GMC website and compared a 2500HD and 3500 extended cab with a crew cab and here are their stats. Overall length of Extended cab long bed is 249 inches and the crew cab long bed is 258.5 inches a difference of 9.5. As you can see my calculator works just fine so no need is checking my figures. The wheel base of the extended cab long bed is 157.5 and the crew cab long bed is 167 inches. The rear seat leg room in the extended cab long bed is 33.7 inches and the crew cab long bed is 39 inches. To be honest, I was somewhat surprise that there was only 6 inches different in the leg room. Most of the other specs were the same as far as size goes. On a side note, I see a lot of crew cab 4 door units with the short bed out there in my part of the country but very few of the long beds. I know my son-in-law had to special order his from the dealer and I think they found one in Ohio. But I must admit it is a loaded unit with everything but the kitchen sink and if I looked hard enough I might even find that.
I don't know - what is available, what is the pricing, what feels comfortable to you and forget other peoples "OPINIONS".

Phill & Gladys
Sometimes me sits and thinks - sometimes me just sits.
06 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4
06 Montana 3400RL
Bichon - CEO
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have an extended cab and have wished we would have gotten the crew cab. Only problem is that we couldn't get a crew cab in '95. The crew cab allows you to take another couple to dinner, church, or what ever. Since our extended cab always seems to be full with extra water, towels, snacks, etc., we always have the seat down. To take someone with us, we have to empty everything out, clean it out, store all the "stuff" in the rig, and put the seat up. Then when we get back, we reverse everything to make it back like it was. As it is, we ride to church, dinner, etc., with other couples who have a crew cab.

But, it's like anything else, it's whatever you choose to go with. Everyone has their own opinion on what is best. What's best for me may not be best for someone else.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
We had extended cabs since 1986, but on our 2005 F-350 went with the Crewcab. For us, it is great. There is just so much more room for people. We also normally have our dogs in soft-crates in the back seat, allowing them to share the air conditioning during the summer!!! Ford re-designed the suspension a year or so ago, and the new CC has a tighter turnng radius than our 1999 supercab did.

But ..... the decision is really based on your needs and desires.

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Labs Sasha & Webby
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #15
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We love the CC for all the reasons stated above. We will probably never go back. Like someone stated earlier when your driving something that is 21' long or better what is 7-9 more inches. Also wanted to state that my '06 DRW turns a lot shorter than my previous '04 SRW. They were both CC long boxes. Whatever Ford did to the new front suspension they did it right as it turns a lot better. I don't take mine out 4 wheeling unless I have to. But if it was called upon to drive down thru ditches to pull someone out it would be fine.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #16
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
okay... why not , my turn.

I have a 2002 Chevy Ext.Cab - Hate it!
I have a 2006 Ford Crew Cab - Love it!

Ext.Cab for us is harder to deal with in the parking lot than
the Crew Cab. Loading groceries mainly.
My 2 sense.

'06 F350 SD King Ranch CC LB 6.0L PSD FX4 4x4
Still shopping for the Monty !

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/WA/Bellingham.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Bellingham, Washington Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/TX/Cypress.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Cypress, Texas Forecast" height=100 width=150[/img]

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I went through the same stress for my first truck in 2001. After actually seeing and sitting in the Crew Cab, I took the Crew Cab and went to a short box to maintain the same wheel base as the extended cab long box. I don't regret my decision, as the short box has worked well with the Monty. I just replaced it with a 2006, and Ford has put some steel cargo plates that extend over the rear floor with the seats folded up making a nice place to haul home the Home Depot stuff without marring up the leather.

Just a note on the off-road. I took the truck off road above Marble CO to the famous Crystal Mill to show the kids. The road requires 4X4 because of clearance more-so than the four wheel drive. I was used to Jeep so this truck is like driving a full size locomotive down a narrow gauge track. First thing - a good size tree branch got trapped between the horizontal posts on the Ford mirror and shot into the cab through the window and stabbed me in the chest. It drew blood, ripped my shirt, and all in the cab got laugh except me wearing my diet coke in my lap.

In short - the 2WD can most likely go most places that you could get with 4X4 given the fact the truck won't fit in a lot of the rough country roads in the national parks because of the narrow width between the trees. However, you need the clearance offered by the 4X4 to keep the rocks out of your oil pan. Consider the "FX4" option (Not sure of Chev/Dodge version) and you get full steel skid plates over the vital organs. I always keep in mind that if I'm out of state and I break it, we ain't getting the Monty home.

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #18
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Jo-Anna and I spent the day looking at Ford and Chevy one tons, extended and crew cabs. We're sold on the crew cab--love the room in the back, and as some have said in this thread, once you are as long as these suckers are, what's another 14". LOL!!

Just have to see now whether to reconsider my earlier decision to go longbed--wondering if I should go the route bemeaton did and compensate for the crew cab by going with the short bed to keep the same overall vehicle length. More food for thought.

Had a big question come up today about the Chevy that dealt with it's payload, but I'll address that on another thread since it doesnt fit here.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #19
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
David and Jo-Anna,

The nice thing about the long-bed (at least the Ford) is that you get the bigger fuel tank: 38 gallons vs something like 29 gallons. That was my key decision in the long bed. And of course with my locking cover I have a lot more room to store junk!!!!!

... Semper Paratus ....
Matt, Amy, & Chocolate Labs Sasha & Webby
- 2004 3255RL Montana, 2005 F-350 CC 4X4 PSD
- Advance truck bed folding cover
Washington state.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David and Jo-Anna,

Have fun with this and good luck! There are plenty of 06 still on the lots, and a good share are loaded with options. Drive em all. We test drove our Ford over the the Chevy lot to talk Duramax. Puts a little extra pressure on them.

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote