Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
What kind of RV insurance?

Just wondering what kind of RV insurance most everybody carries. Did you purchase special RV insurance or do you use your automobile insurance? What would you recommend for the "weekend warriors" type of RVing?

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Kevin - Denise - Check out Progressive, It was the cheapest for us and I shopped around alot

Safew Travels

John and Christa
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have had several discussions on RV insurance here, you can check by doing a search on the topic. You will find a lot of different opinions on this issue. Many of us have a rider on our car insurance; many of us have RV insurance. If you have your unit parked at permanent site, IMHO, you should have RV insurance. If you pull to and from the CG on the week ends, you may be okay with a rider on your car insurance.

There are companies that specialize in RV insurance. Any independent agentshould be able to get you a quote.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We have RV Alliance and found them to be very reasonably priced. They have a program where each year your deductible goes down if you are accident free.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For us in Texas, RV Alliance could not compete with Explorer RV. We had RV Alliance and when the underwriters quit writing insurance in Texas, RV Alliance gave us a quote from Progressive which was $200.00/year higher than what we got from Explorer RV. We also have the yearly 25% reduction in deductible for each year we are accident/claim free.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
It all depends on where you live or where you are registered as a home address. I have been an Insurance Broker for almost 35 years and the best answer is "It Depends". You just need to do the homework and review it annually, because the companies will change the rules without notification.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am not full timing, so I added my coach onto my truck auto policy. Have not had any trouble so far.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Thank You kindly for all the input. Sorry about asking "the same old question". Again Thank you for taking the time
Old 04-17-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Kevin,

This may be a "same old question" to some of us, but it is not to newer members - that's the reason they joined the MOC. We all joined this group to draw on the experiences of others. This was a very good question, and very valid. We MOCers are the most helpful bunch online you will ever see for helping out with RVing.

There are many topics, that about every six months or so, come back up for a lively discussion. The newer members need this. There is a search for older topics which is very useful. However, many want a simple, quick answer, and they really didn't want to get involved in perceived lengthy search.

While there is a great wealth of information that can be found on this forum's "search" feature, it is understandable that sometimes, someone might just want a "question and answer" session. My wife sometimes ask me a question, and when I tell her that she can read about it in this book, or that article, I will get the response, "Well, can't you just tell me?"

Many times when these topics are brought back up out of dormancy, new info is discovered, which is very helpful - even to the oldtimers, who sometimes sound like they're tired of talking about this particular subject again. This is not true. They are just trying to be helpful.

Everyone on here is more than willing to go the extra mile for another member. Once in a great while, you may get a member join who is "Grumpy", but they usually don't last on this forum. The Admins and the "Elders" here are terrific about protecting the integrity, and validity of this forum.

Wow... my first cup of coffee must be kicking in...

*On Edit~ Grammar... guess I have not had that much coffee yet. Or maybe too much. Naw... that's not it... well maybe... Sheesh! were's my ADD medicine???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:14 AM   #10
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
We are insured with National Interstate. The reason we went with them was both price and the fact that the specialize in Rv insurance where my auto policy did not.
They also insured my tow vehicle with no problem.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:19 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich brought something up on another topic... some of these insurance carriers may not operate in all states and/or Canada and/or Mexico. This seems an important issue to me...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
dsprik-
THANK YOU, you're right there are some very nice people here. And you're right about not wanting to search and wanting a quick answer.