Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Dually Modifications?

Does anyone of our members have any "unique" dually modifications that improve looks, ride or fuel mileage? My 8.1 dually pulls like a bear and I have had no problems with it but I am always looking for "little things" that I can do to make it better! I have an electric bedtopper, timbren support for the rear axle, trailair fifth wheel hitch...just wondering if the ride or mileage (about 8 mpg)could be changed if I did something alittle different. Looking forward to all of you fellow Montana pullers that seem to make little changes on "everything"!

Thanks,

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
took off the old body and put a Pro Hauler body on.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
The best bang for your buck is probley going to be a K&N air filter to let the motor breath a little better, and if you are getting more air in a large exhaust will work wonders also. These are just a few of the less expensive add ons you can try.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Actually, a K&N filter imay NOT be a good idea. 1) the engineering reports I have seen on the GM filter shows it is about the beat in the industry. 2) there is a service bulletin out that warns about the oil used to refurbish the K&N fouling the oxygen sensor. I had a K&N on my 2003 Duramax and removed it after reading these reports. The truck worked as well or better with the stock filter element.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Have to agree with Dave on the K&N air filter. My local mechanic has warned all his customers about the K&N's.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Thanks for the responses so far. Especially the input on the K&N filter...I was thinking about getting that until now! You guys have some great knowledge out there...thanks!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On the K&N website they say that they can not make one any better than the filter on the 05 Ford V-10.I have always used K&N filters till now.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The K&N filters let to much stuff get by. The sensor problem is probably a result of over oiling the filter. There are several aftermarket filters that work well, check a Chev site for the ones that fit. You may be able to build your own BAHF [big honkin air filter] using a stock big truck air filter, if you have room under the hood. The stock filters usually work adequately if they are maintained. A less restrictive muffler is probably the best addon. I added a big truck muffler that doubled the exhaust thruput, it helps keep the turbo temps down.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 AM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
A lot of strange and expensive toys on the market that claim to save fuel,give your truck more pep,make it haul more, go up hills without slowing down,run cooler,go longer on oil changes,clean your injectors with one little bottle,clean your fuel system with another little bottle,fly down the road by changeing air flow,automatic air pressure pumps for your tire pressure,trans lube to make your tranny shift better.The list can go on if you want to spend the cash.We are all looking for the magic method. Remember magic is an illusion.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:17 AM   #10
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
A lot of strange and expensive toys on the market that claim to save fuel,give your truck more pep,make it haul more, go up hills without slowing down,run cooler,go longer on oil changes,clean your injectors with one little bottle,clean your fuel system with another little bottle,fly down the road by changeing air flow,automatic air pressure pumps for your tire pressure,trans lube to make your tranny shift better.The list can go on if you want to spend the cash.We are all looking for the magic method. Remember magic is an illusion.That is why all these after market companies sped millions on advertiseing.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:25 AM   #11
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Ain't no such thing as a "tune-up in a bottle". As a fleet mechanic, I really pay attention to the "small stuff" such as alignments, tire pressure, air and fuel filters. I perform the same checks on our personal tow vehicle and the 5th. wheel such as closely monitoring tire pressures and tire wear. However, using injector cleaner is a good PM procedure and I use it both on gasoline & diesel-powered vehicles at work and on our personal vehicles. Under-inflated tires equates to towing a boat anchor behind you...the "flatning" of the footprint & rolling resistance is unbelievable. Equalizing the tire pressures between wheels is equally important---a variance of 3 to 5 psi is a mileage/tire killer. I use a digital tire guage that is accurate to a 1/2 pound of pressure. Interesting note: I took in the coach for the aluminum wheel "recall" issued by Keystone. I assumed the guys in the shop would check the tire pressures as I asked them to do. Right after having the work done, we took off for a local camping trip. I noticed the fuel mileage averaged 3-4 mpg's lower than usual---what the heck...? As soon as we arrived and set-up the RV, I did a tire check---only one tire was "close" to inflation spec's and the other three were 8 to 12 pounds under the spec. Obviously the techs did not have their "A" game on...! I pulled out the 12 volt air compressor and inflated the tires back to specs---what an improvement in mpg's & towing. Needless to say, the dealership received a "nasty-gram". We received an apology from them and a certificate for a free detailing.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote