Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree about the ratcheting type. The pointer type is more difficult to use. Since we have 8 lugs per wheel and 4 wheels, by The time I get to the second wheel, my personal accuracy is beginning to slip with the pointer type. I have plenty of beef to put into it,but as I tire that ratchet keeps me uniform in my torqueing.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:07 PM   #22
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
As the old saying goes "you get what you pay for". I have a Craftsman and I use it on my other toys. Great quality and guaranteed for life. I also have some tools from Harbor Freight and 90% of their stuff is made in China. As a former Design Engineer, their precision tools leave a lot to be desired.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #23
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Well, I bought the Husky at Home Depot as it was on sale. Now, another question:

How often do you check the lug nuts (after the first 25, 50 and 100 miles)? Every hundred after that?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Michael,
I check mine any time I have had a wheel off for any reason; In addition I then check them after about 100 to 200 miles. If there is little or no movement after this second check I will probably not check them again until I have a wheel off or I take a trip. I check them before I take off on any trip.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I check mine the first 50,100,200 miles after a wheel has been taken off. After that I check them before I head out for a trip, if everything is tight at the start of the trip I dont mess with them again until I start towards home on that trip. I have found that after having the wheel off and the first 50 mile retorque is done they stay tight from then on.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #26
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,
Good thread here.

In case there are some un-aware, make sure you always un-load your T/W when not in use. If using a clicker type unscrew the handle to 0. If you don't the spring will take a set and go way out of calibration.

Also you should check calibration every year. The simplest way to do this is to take yours to a store with a scocket in hand and connect yours to a new one and check one against the other.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I still have a needle type in the toolbox of the truck but bought the click type from Walmart. It might not be as accurate as a high dollar one but for my purposes (lug nuts) it is fine.

Like HamRad and others, any time the lug nuts are loosened I use the torque wrench to tighten them. Then at each stop thereafter I check them with the torque wrench and continue to do that each stop until they no longer tighten before the click. To remind me to do this, I leave the black nut covers off until done with the tightening procedure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #28
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi All Just bought a sears unit at the local pawn shop. Beat them down from $35 to $25. It's the type of thing people don't use much and pawn them often. Works for me Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote