Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
New Tires for the Monty

I am very interested in the Goodyear G614 RST. It is a tire designed for 5th wheel trailers. It is a high pressure tire, load range G
LT235/85R16.

Has any used this tire? Talked to Keystone this morning and they said it "should fit" but I need high pressure rims. Where does one get high pressure rims?

Any advise would be appreciated.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
RKass

Bob when you say high pressure rims, how much pressure are you talking about? We are running with 80 psi in ours, our rims look like yours. Our son works at a tire dealership which handles Goodyear & Michlun tires & others, in McAlester OK. I might be able to get some info. , or call him at (Beals Tire), just trying to help.Larry & LaVonne
Old 02-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
These tires runs at 110 PSI compared to the Montana tires at 80 PSI. Take a look at this link for me.http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/product_g614rst.html

I really like these tires, they are built for the unique stress that a tire gets from being pulled rather that pushing. Lot's to learn!

Thanks for you help

Old 02-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
RKassl,
I had a friend who installed the same tires you are looking at onto his 5th wheel, he ended up buying new wheels from Goodyear tire shop. The wheels on the Montana are not going to handle the 110psi load, I would start calling tire shops and see what they come up with.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
My reading of the specs on the G614s does not suggest that you would have to run them at 110 psi for the Monty. When I checked them out, I recall that 80 psi was sufficient for the weight of our units. 110 psi was for much heavier weights. But I am getting old, so could be wrong!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:17 AM   #6
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
How much do these tires cost?
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
A while back, there was a long discussion about tires. I believe the thread was "blown tires revisited". I put G-rated tires on my Monty after two blow-outs of the E-rated tires with no signs of excessive wear and less than 10,000 miles on the set.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvghostdriver

How much do these tires cost?
I got one price in Canadian Dollars of $290/tire, mounted and balanced. Have not really done an exhaustive search. Should be considerably less in the US.

Bill
Old 02-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Just got a quote for these tires, the tire, special valve stems, balancing about $210.00 each. The tire guy also is checking on the 5 aluminum rims because of the higher pressure requirement.

He told me that casted aluminum rims are superior to to welded steel rims in this particular application.

He also commented that these are 14 ply tires specifically designed for heavy trailer applications.

My Monty was new last May and I have always been nervous about the cheap looking OE tires from Montana. My wife and I have come too far with our plans for retirement in the next 36 months too go cheap in this area. Our trips will be getting longer and longer I cannot afford bad tires.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
RKassl,
Please keep us updated on what you find out as far as wheels and tires go. I am curious to see how this all comes out.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #11
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
The gentleman called me back with a final dollar amount. A complete package 5 tires, five new cast aluminum rims, balancing, high pressure valve stems would be $1856.

I did some rough math and it looks like the moderate priced rims around $125.00 each. I don't know if this is a good price.

Going to get another quote, always pays to check before you sign on the dotted line.

He did tell me that the rims were rated at >3000 lbs load capacity and the tires are rated at 3750 lbs. Seems like a nice match of wheel and tire.

The most important thing is that the wife understands the importance of good rubber.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #12
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Buck,
I'm a bit surprised that you're already shopping for tires w/some big bucks. We have the same unit as you ('05 2955RL) and traveled 17k miles last year, to Alaska and back to the east coast, over good roads,the Alcan, and everything between. No problems and my OEM tires still look good. Friends we traveled w/had problems, but we had none (knock on wood). Keep us posted.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #13
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Buck ...

I know exactly how you feel re the quality of tires that come as original equipment. For the next year or two we will only be doing local trips (all within one day's drive from home) but after we retire, we intend to prowl North America. I want the best rubber possible on the road for both my TV and the Monty. Your comments have caused me to start getting quotes for tires/wheels! I am guessing about $2500 (Canadian) for five G614s mounted and balanced.

Bill

Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I am no expert on tires (among many other things on which I am not expert), but this is simply in the nature of a report.

We purchased our Montana 2955RL in May of 2002; now have 45 months of service on the original tires. We have logged exactly 38,828 miles which means we have averaged 10,354 miiles per year of service.

My only concern about the tires is their age. They look just as good as they did at the beginning. In other words, the tread wear has been so even it is not noticable. I know that trailer tires do not usually wear out, but 'grow old' and fragile and need to be replaced based on time more than miles.

Maybe we have been lucky. If so, we are grateful for that.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #15
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
You are very right about your tires, they tend NOT to look worn out as you would have on a truck or car. That is why many people replace them at specific time intervals, commonly 5 years or so. I am relatively new to rving (my map says it all!) the one item that make me nervous is the talk you hear about tire failure.

It will make me feel better with a much stronger tire, between the Monty and the road.

Happy Camping
Old 02-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #16
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Bob I would think most tire failure happens because of road debris, and not just the tire itself. Maybe you should look at a pressure monitoring system to alert you of a tire failure. That will give you piece of mind even if you choose to buy tires and wheels?

If you do go with wheels look at these wheels they look good with my 2955rl and my GMC 2500!!
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...coated§ion=ORT

Bob I e-mailed them to ask about pressure maximums for the wheels. I'd like to know for my future use also. See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Without pressing too far, would not your "stronger tires" be subject to the same ageing process? I simply wanted to share a specific experience with standard tires based on almost four years and almost 40,000 miles which I consider to have some relevance in this discussion. Yes, I am considering replacement before too long (for the reason we all agree upon), but they have served me well and I have never felt any lack of confidence in them.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think a lot of tire failures are due to improper pressure and improper loading. I bought one of those IR thermometers from radio shack and will pay a lot more attention to tire pressure and tire temp on this much heaver Montana than we did on our 7k TT. Am also thinking of the tire monitoring system as we begin to travel more. We still changed out tires about every 4 years or upon noticing cracks in the sidewalls.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #19
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
When I was doing research on my Monty prior to its purchase, I found out that the the OE Tire "Tacoma" had been involved in way to many failures and potential failures involving the sidewall of the tire. At one time there was almost a recall of this particular brand, but the run around from the company that distributed it (not Keystone) turned me off.

With this post I was looking for a user of the tire I will be switching to, if for nothing else piece of mind.

If you got 40,000 plus mile, on your original tires, wonderful I am happy for you.

If new tires make my wife and I feel better, well, then Happy Camping!

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
I had talked with a fellow Montana Big Sky owner a few days back and he has the tires on his rig that you are looking at. He could not say enough good things about them, he also bought new wheels to handle the 110psi rating as well. They had taken their coach to Alaska and had some serious trouble with both the tires and axles, after returning home he had to have the axles replaced and by his choice he upgraded the wheels/tires. If getting better tires makes you more comfortable on the road by all means go for it. I am looking into replacing my Tacoma tires as well after all the things I have read about them on the MOC, sure makes me more comfortable knowing I have good tires under the truck and coach.