Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Net versus solid tailgate

I think this has been discussed before but I have been assured that removing my solid tailgate and replacing with a louvered one or one of those net type will increase my mileage both when towing and when not.

Any data would be helpful. It seems this would be any easy thing to do.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
it will help some, but not a major difference. the wind resistance against the solid tailgate is why. having a net or louvered one will help. personally I never used one.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It's all bogus!!! No actual "DATA" but the louvered V-gate and the nets increase in fuel mileage is insignificant. Over the years I have had many pick ups and the fuel mileage didn't change 1 mpg whether the gate was up or down. I can bet that anyone that says otherwise either has a louvered V-gate, a net or no gate at all and they will insist there was a huge increase.

Consider this...ALL the auto manufacturers have a mandate from the Federal government to increase overall fuel mileage and this includes all trucks up to 1 ton. Don't you think that if these type gates increased fuel mileage the big 3 would have already incorporated them into their trucks? Same goes for any of these so called performance chips and reprogramming computers that increase performance as well as fuel mileage. These "increase in fuel milege" claims are all bogus!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree with Glenn. However, we probably wouldn't buy a new pickup without a tailgate anyway. I am one who has a louvered tailgate, only because I don't like to have to put the tailgate down and then up every time we move and every time we park.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Glenn,
I agree with the first part of your assertion. The effect of louvered tail gates is very small and probably not measureable for the average user. HOWEVER, this does not extend to reprogrammers. I have very complete data with and withut the Hypertech in my GMC D/A . The reprogram clearly provides a 10 to 15 % inprovement in fuel mileage when towing. My experience DOES NOT support an improvement when not towing.

I spent years in both marine and aviation business selling fuel efficiency improvements as aftermarket suppliers. We actually gauranteed improvements through the use of vertical profile compuers in aviation applications. Here the improvements were greater than 5% and measureable. in the marine market we tried to improve rudder motion but the improvement was nearer 1 or 2% and could not be proven in actual usage. My point is, where there is a significant improvement (more tha 5 to 10%) it is relatively easy to find. This is the case with aftermarket reprogrammers in some applications and under some conditions.

I think you give too much credit to the engineers on the Manufacturere's staff.
1) What they program into the vehicles has more than just efficiency in mind. There is the fact that they work toward the least common denominator of all uses the truck will be put to. In point of fact, most trucks are driven unloaded or lightly loaded. That is what is optomized.
2)Next there is marketing. Not everything comes out in the first edition. Market movement suggests the need for improvements over time.
3)Then there is the issue of time. The staff is limited and not all aspects can be refined prior to product launch especially in the beauracratic organizations typical of these companies..
In fact, (serious, professional) aftermarket people have been expanding the work of the big three for decades with amazing results. There have even been cases where after market labs have been acquired by the manufacturers just to get at the brains of the group.

My experience suggests there is lots of room for serious aftermarket improvement. I don't think webs or louvered tailgates are either serious or effective. But there are a lot of others that are. The devil is in the details. In this case the details involve data derived from careful measurement instead of all encompassing assertions.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
A kid in the local high school used gas mileage as his science project. Over a six month period he keep data on all aspects of mileage on a Toyota pickup. The two things I remember from the newspaper write-up was he recorded a slightly better mileage with the tailgate up as opposed to down and absolutely no difference between using regular or premium grades. Of course he won 1st prize for his efforts.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run both the factory tailgate and also a louvered tailgate for 5th wheels. I have run the same road all summer and done some trials with both tailgates during my 75mile trip into work every day. I had found that the louvered tailgate on average got me 1 to 1.5mpg better than my factory tailgate. Of course there are so many things that can change these numbers that I am not sure if it is fair to say one is better than the other. I run my 5th wheel tailgate all summer and switch to the factory gate in the winter. I am happy with this method and will stick with it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Well,I may or may not get better gas mileage, but with the louvered V tailgate at least I get more miles without having yanked it down in the crumpled condition that I left my stock tailgate in! Yeah, that does hurt, especially when you had witnesses standing around when it happened.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have been thinking about the "V" tailgate to ease hook up and disconnect. My problem or other half of this discussion deals with the tongua cover. If I use the V and the put the tongua cover over the bed when not towing then there is less obstruction to invite someone into the bed of the truck. The solid tail gate just keeps honest people honest. Don't know if it really makes any difference. With that thought, how may people cover their bed when they are not towing?
Thanks, good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There are 2 other reasons I have for keeping the stock tailgate...

1- As a full timer using a 5th wheel, louvered tailgate, where do you carry the OEM gate? I have no stick house to store it in and I won't rent storage just for a tailgate. When you are ready to trade in the TV the dealer wants the OEM gate back there or he will take it out of the trade-in price. I was no where near Penna. or Florid when I traded the 03 for the 05. As full timers there is no telling where I will be when I buy my next TV.

2-I have hooked up and unhook the Monty over 70 different times and not once did I forget to put the gate down. Putting the gate up or down has become a habit pretty much like breathing.
And besides, How many times have you seen a mangled 5th wheel V-type gate? A few weeks ago I was behind a pick up with a mangled gate and it was quite obvious where the pin hit the gate. Apparently he was in a slightly up hill site. For leveling the front of the 5er had to to be lower than normal. When he backed in to hook up he backed into the gate. He forgot to either raise the trailer or "put down" the tailgate.

A special note to Dave, We have discussed this fuel mileage isssue previously and neither of us will bend.
But we do agree on two things,
1- GMC's make a great TV
2- We agree to disagree
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:54 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

2-I have hooked up and unhook the Monty over 70 different times and not once did I forget to put the gate down. Putting the gate up or down has become a habit pretty much like breathing.

2- We agree to disagree
Aah, it only takes once when you are in a hurry or something else is on your mind. And yes, we will all always agree to disagree. What's that old saying, "Different strokes for different folks."
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:38 AM   #12
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I use the full OEM tailgate and have a folding/locking hard cover. I use my TV for work and keep computer software and components in the front of the bed. As far as the v gate vs. the net, there is significant feeling out there that the tailgate when in an "up" position helps complete the structural integrity of the bed area of the truck. This would be lost with the net if you believe this is a viable argument. The v gate would still offer most of the rigidity of the stock gate.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:58 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welllll We will keep the OEM tailgate.We carry a lot of "Camper stuff" in the bed and like to keep it dry.Have the fold-a-cover on the new 350.I just do not believe that the V gate has much if any effect on MPG.. There are two major forces that effect MPG..Drag and turbulence and do not see that the V gate will affect either , In fact when towing there is a good chance that the V gate could increase both by directing airflow through the V directly into the rear of the camper..Wonder if NASA Glenn will let me pull my rig into the wind tunnel for some test( not likely)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #14
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Glenn,
I'll add one more.
3) We both honor the uniqueness and integrity of the other -- especially in discussions that have little consequence.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote