Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Dodge and chips

Driving a Dodge 3500 and wondering about performance chips. Do anyone have any experience with them?
I only have 7000 miles on my truck and haven't pulled with it much. I don't need more horses to pull my rig but could stand better mileage.
I have been told they increase horsepower and improve MPG.
What chips are you using?
What did they cost?
Are they working as advertized?

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I don't have a chip but am considering the Quadzilla XZT. You can view a lot of comments at:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Most chips probably won't help mileage because they increase fueling, one way or another, to reach their goal of more power. The XZT, Edge Juice, and TST possibly (uses a lot of timing), may be exceptions, if used judiciously. If you add a chip you become your own warranty station though.

XZT about $350-400
Juice and TST about $700-800

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
I have a quadzilla, it's ok, I have more power, fuel mileage is about 1/2 mile better, but the trip computer shows 23 mpg mt. I think it's a toy, I back off when towing and only hammer it once in a while. You have to remember that the extra power puts more strain on your trans. and rear end also besides what it does to your engine. You can have all the gauges but if your tired or not paying attention you can heat up that engine pretty fast.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:51 AM   #4
Montana_3008

M.O.C. #3008
Hey Cuz,
We have a 2002 quad cab dually with a Cummins diesel of course. I installed an Edge Juice last year before we headed out west on vacation. I keep the setting on level three ( most power ) and don't drive loaded or unloaded like I'm a kid trying to impress every one. We have gained an increase of two M.P.G. and have all the power and torque we need to pull our Monty ( 3295RK ). We also installed a K & N air filter but are running a factory exaust system ( three inch ). We are going to installa four incher but that is another story. I have heard both sides of the warranty issue and don't know who is correct. I would also suggest you install an EGT and boost gauage set to monitor engine conditions after installing the performance chip. Leaving Denver Colorado last summer on our way to Moab Utah we of course crossed the Rocky Mountains. We only down shifted to fifth gear on one occasion in our crossing and were at sixty M.P.H. ( my normal speed ). If I ever am told which camp is right on the warranty issue it would be welcome news! As we are set up now I can disconnect the Edge performance system and reconnect the factory connections in about twenty minites. What they don't know at the dealership --- well you know the rest! Happy camping & I hope I,ve helped LOL Mikey
Montana_3008 is offline   Reply With Quote