Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
things to do in Canada

We (along with jimnjulie) will be traveling to Maine from Just west of Detroit and thought we would just travel across Canada to get there. We were thinking that the best people to ask would be are friend that live there also those that have visited there. What are the requirment to get into Canada? Also good campgrounds along the way. Thank you Jim

jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Passports for sure and if you have a pet, an up to date shot records. They will check your rig and vehicle no more than two bottles of liquor and cigarettes can cross the border of Canada. We are headed to Eastern Canada next month. Good luck.
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Be sure to leave your firearms @ home. If you must bring any, be sure to very carefully check the rules/requirements & necessary paperwork. Convert your heights & weighs to metric before you hit that low bridge marked in meters! Be ready for a gas pump shock too.
-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have traveled in Canada several times in our RV. Just know it is a foreign country with their own laws. You are expected to know them. Last year in Maine, a fellow RVer could not believe he could not enter Canada because he carries a shotgun. He absolutely could not figure out why he was rejected. His solution was to try and get in at some "less busy" crossing port of entry. I did not attempt to explain that his license tag was in the Canadian system with GUN next to it. I am sure he never made it.
As for low clearances, we crossed at Calais, Maine in 2011. In Canada, the over hang after Canadian customs was too low. They helped me get around it! I really appreciated their assistance. I have been traveling to Canada on business since 1980--so I have always enjoyed my visits. On our return we used the New US-Canada commercial crossing up river from the downtown Calais crossing. No low overhangs.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We really enjoyed camping on the Bay of Fundy at St. Martins, New Brunswick. Great RV park on the bay--check out our trip journal for info. Don't miss the Bay of Fundy and the National Parks on the Bay.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
Thanks for the replies. We are crossing into Canada at Winsor but haven't decided where in Maine we will be coming back acrossed.
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
I also got a insurance card for Canada from my agent for the TV and Monty
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
go185
Established Member

M.O.C. #1717
Going to Canada sometime the middle of July. Had planned to use the crossing at Calais. Where is this new commercial crossing and can anyone cross there? Would appreciate any help. Looking forward to seeing the sights in Canada. Thanks,
go185 is offline   Reply With Quote