Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
CLOSETOMYHART

M.O.C. #5110
Portable collapsible l4' boat

We need your expertise. My wife and I researched the Porta-boat and pontoon boats and purchased the 14' Porta-boat. For warranty reasons we want to transport the unit under the Monty in a pre-fab sheetmetal box. We have located a shop that is willing to help us build a unit but we are hoping there is someone out there in "Monty Land" with experience in this area. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

CLOSETOMYHART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I have researched inflatable and folding boats in some detail and have decided to go with the Porta-boat when we go fulltime.
There was someone on the forum who had a metal box made for under his Montana, but after a search, I couldn't find the posting. It had pictures and a description also. I'll be watching the responses so I can find that posting and save it.
I imagine someone will be along with directions on finding this previous posting.
Best of luck.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
About 15 years ago I had a Porta-boat and I did what you suggest but I built myself a plywood box under my 1986 Slumberqueen Fiver and the boat rode under there very well. They are great little boats and we had a lot of fun with it. I had a 2 HP Honda but I actually liked it better as a row boat. The kids got bigger and our interests changed and I sold it for a good price.
The only problem I see with the box under a Monty is that the underbelly will have to be altered to attach the box to it. On my old Fiver the frame had cross braces that I bolted brackets on to support my box. There was no under belly. I am sure it is doable on a Monty, just might take a little thought.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It has been over a year since the posting about the son-in-law constructed aluminum box which someone mounted under their Montana. There was also some postings (with pictures) on the Yahoo based Porta-boat discussion group. I investigated having an aluminum box built but dismissed it when the cost of the box exceeded cost of the Porta-boat (and new motor). I need that guys son-in-law!

Long story short, I built a three piece rack with rollers which mounts under the Monty. I put the Porta-boat in a Naugahyde bag I made (to protect it from the road grime) and roll it under the trailer on the rack.

It works really well. The boat has traveled over 6000 miles on the rack without any problems. Several other Montana owners have Porta-boats and now are using the same idea. I think I posted some comments (and pictures?) last year around this time. If you can't find it on a Search, let me know. The Yahoo discussion group is a wealth of information on everything Porta-boat

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hi Jim & Georgie, & welcome to the forum. Lots of experience from a lot of helpful folks here. I have a 12' porta bote that I carried underneath my previous 5th wheel in a metal box. The box is currently waiting for me to decide if I'm going to mount it under my Montana. It is made of galvanized sheet metal, 13'long, 9" tall and 24" wide. With a piece of carpet glued to the inside walls and floor, my porta bote slides right in. The box has a hinged front that overlaps the sides and prevents water (if traveling in the rain) from sogging up everything inside. I'm able to carry my life preservers, oars, fishing pole and misc. tools in the box also. The unit has a flange/lip all along the top running the length which I put self tapping screws through to mount it to the bottom of the frames. I also put a couple of metal straps around it for insurance. I never had any problem with it hanging down, and got a lot of chuckles when people asked what it was & I told them it was my boat trailer. (: I had forgetten how heavy it was until I removed it from my other 5th wheel. I would estimate that it is somewhere in the 100 pound range (it has a top that adds weight also). Sorry, I don't have any pictures I could show you.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Carl n Susan - do you have any specifics on the Yahoo porta bote website you mentioned? I'm trying to find it but not sure which you were referring to. Thanks. Mike
Old 03-27-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
http://www.porta-bote.com/
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is a link to last year's discussion on this topic:
Porta-bote discussion
There are two pages of words and pictures.

Yahoo hosts a bunch of "Groups". A search of the available Groups using the keyword "portabote" is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=portabote

The search will result in four hits. The first is a public group (no registration required) and is fairly active. It is independent of Porta-bote but the owner is a frequent contributer.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortaBote/

The second is a "world-wide" group. You have register (and be approved - just a way to avoid SPAM). I belong to this one too.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortaBote/

There are a third and fourth set of Groups that I know nothing about. I only know they exist because of the search I did earlier. Hope this helps!

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I just received an email from Porta-Bote and they included some pictures of what others have done in installing storage for the boat. Here are the links:

click here: http://www.kane.net/~pkane/projects/...1-001_jpg.html

click here: http://homepage.mac.com/blfilms/Dans...toAlbum52.html

They also sent me a link to some "sale prices" not sure what they go for but here is what they have to offer:

For SPECIAL FACTORY DISCOUNT PRICES **
Just click here: http://www.porta-bote.com/prices.html

A little steep for my blood but may try to convince my dear Wife that we "need" one.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Thanks for the links. Appreciate the info. Mike
Old 03-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I have a 12' Porta-Bote and mount it under the Monty. I made some brackets using threaded rod and angle brackets. We went to Alaska and back with no problems. If you want pictures, let me know.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote