Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
Dodge Shortbeds and Hitches

I need help. I have a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab and can't find any slider hitch manufacturer who says their hitch will work with my 2002 Mountaineer 298RLS. My local dealer for the superglide says the factory has no hitch for my application, even the 24K slider that has 18 inches of travel. They say at 60 degrees the coach will have only one half inch of clearance. Is anyone out there using a Mega Cab as a tow vehicle or know someone who does?

richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
As said before, Maureen & I have been looking seriously at the Mega dually. Our cuurent Chevy CC/SB/ has a box that is 6'6" as compared to the 6'3" Mega. We have never had any clearance issues with our manual slider and a Montana with the extended pin. How can 3" make that much difference? Where are all those new mega cab owners, I am sure they will be along shortly. Also, what are the specs on your trucks as we are not sure whether to go with the 4:10 or 3:73 rear end as the 4:10's will give us an extra 2000lb of towing capacity (auto trans of course).
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
leonlynda

M.O.C. #4914
Just purchased our Mega Cab in March. We pull our 3400rl with no problems so far. We have a slider hitch (Valley) that works very well. The New Dodge with the 326hp diesel rides and pulls great, hope this helps. 3/4 ton single axle take care Leon
leonlynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I have a friend who is hauling a big Mobile Suites with a Mega Cab and a PullRite Super Glide. Not aware of any clearance problem. But the whole clearance thing is a function of where the king pin is located relative to the front of the cap, the shape of the cap, and the distance between the hitch and the back of the cab. According to the PullRite people, Dodges, in general, have the shortest distance between the location of the hitch and the back of the cab. I do not think it is possible to make any blanket statement about which hitches work with which trucks and which 5ers. Given that Keystone products seem to always be a "work in progress", each 5th wheel/truck combination is probably unique. PullRite may have done a computer simulation that indicates a clearance problems using their hitch with your Mountaineer and the Mega Cab. Just my take on the matter. Might be worth asking Keystone if it is possible to replace (or modify) the existing pin box on your Mountaineer with one that would provide sufficient clearance.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Montana_6033

M.O.C. #6033
"Just purchased our Mega Cab in March. We pull our 3400rl with no problems so far. We have a slider hitch (Valley) that works very well. The New Dodge with the 326hp diesel rides and pulls great, hope this helps. 3/4 ton single axle take care Leon"

Really? Good to hear, I got a MegaCab in February and pulling a 335 RLSB TT, and was of the mind that a 5er was out of the question. I simply ~love~ this truck. It was the 3400rl which I was 'dreaming' off. Again, very good to hear.
Montana_6033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Although my quadcab truck is a 2004 I will put in my to cents. It seems to me that someone must make a pin box long enough to get the clearance you need, these trucks are so popular as tow vehicles there just has to be something out there. I have had some thoughts about trading for the megacab but I will look long and hard with this new information about the 6' 3" box. I know that mine clears but I'm not sure by how much, sometime I'll have to check that out.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
As stated in an earlier post, I talked to Keystone corp, there are no pin options for Montanas. Keystone makes only one...if you want something else, it would have to be after market.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Also remember that installing an extended pin box also moves the pin box wings (those huge brackets that the pin box is mounted to) further to the rear towards the tail gate. Depending upon the particular manual slider hitch used, these brackets will come into contact with the tail gate when the slider is used.

Also, because of the longer swing arm effect, as the TV turns and the trailer begins to swing to the side, these brackets can also hit the inside of the pickup box sides.

I watched it happen. The extended pinbox, solved the problem of the trailer hitting the back side of the cab. After smashing out the side of his pickup box, he stopped way short of the trailer hitting the cab.

Before you buy and install, measure, measure, measure. If something bad can happen - it will!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote