Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) First Fill up

While in Vermont this weekend, we ran into our first ULSD (15PPM or less) fuel. Before leaving I ran the tank low (2 gals remained), and filled up. After returning home and refueling, measured the fuel usage at 13.5 MPG over 270 miles. Closely monitoring our fuel usage this spring (Completely stock, 06 F350 4WD Crew, 8K-13K miles on the ODO, with 342PHT Mountianeer in tow, est 19K lbs combined load) over the last 3,200 towing miles, we consistently saw 12-12.5 MPG. (When not towing, our mileage is not as consistent; 15-18.5 MPGs.) Not sure if the MPG increase was just luck or not, but I was happy that the ULSD fuel did not appear to decrease the mileage during this first experience.

Power did not seem any different with the ULSD. Tailpipe smoke appeared non-existent in this limited sample. When pulling a steep on-ramp near our in-laws from a stop, we normally see a noticable trail of black smoke. Yesterday, I climbed this on-ramp as usual, and did not see any indication of black smoke. Again, a very limited sample, but having pulled this hill 5-6 times this spring, this was the first time I pulled and could not see any black smoke.

Temps in the mid 80's this weekend may be a factor as well, although most of our towing this spring has been done in the 50-70 degree range, I don't think the 80's would be a huge factor.

Fuel price not a factor. We paid $2.96, which is about average for diesel the New England area this month.

Hopefully this limited experience with positive results will continue to be the norm as the fuel supplies in the country being to switch over to ULSD. I am back to LSD (500PPM or less) now since I have not seen any ULSD fuel in central MA yet.

Tim

tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:59 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Keep checking your MPG. I have now run several tanks of ULSD through my school bus.We note a decrease in MPG @10%. USLD increased the price of diesel .15 cents per gal here in Northeren Ohio. Reports indicate that we should see a decrease in both MPG and efficiency..same with E-85..haven't seen E -85 yet but Sheetz has gone to E-90 and am using that in our Honda's.. The 08 motors will be a different story..time will tell..like we have a choice???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I was taking on fuel the other day 65,000 gal. not in the truck.
the oil company told me that the west coast has had ULSD for about 7 months. I have not noticed any difference.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Does one need to add something to the new diesel fuel to have adequate lubricity? On one of the diesel forums a number of suggestions were made in regard to lubricity. One suggestion was to add 1 quart of automatic transmission fluid per each 10 gallon of diesel. That seems like a lot of automatic trams mission fluid to me.
Anyone using ATF in your diesel?

Thanks!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Weldon, the information I have seen and posted is that lubricity issues are being dealt with by the manufacturers before the new ULSD gets to the retailers. See the next-to-last post on the page below.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...11&whichpage=4

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote