Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I must admit I had no idea that you could weld the plate on. My dealership used the screws and mounted it that way. My roadside service company knows I have the Superglide and to send a truck with an air compressor to unscrew the plate if need be. I have been thinking about ordering the adapter to save a step if ever needed to be towed by a conventional hitch. Learn something new every day. =)

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #22
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
ghuff,

There have been a number of changes to the 2006 3400RL (and most of the other over 34' models) that have made them more difficult to be towed.

The single biggest problem being that - as you have found - the shorter pinbox causes additional clearance problems with the short bed trucks. The pullrite hitch relieves some of this problem, but I am sure scratching my head wondering why the 2004 and 2005 models were outfitted with the extended hitch, but the 2006 models are not.

Second, Keystone's manual clearly states that for greatest safety, both the TV and trailer should be level when towing. My new 2006 3400RL - as I have mentioned a number of times - rides high in the front. One of the fixes is to go with a lower profile hitch. Although I do not know, I have been told that the pullrite hitch can not be adjusted low enough to allow the 2006 models to ride level. This whole issue has been quite a topic of discussion lately. Check into things before you spend a lot of additional $$ and make sure you will not be changing one problem for another.

Another possible fix is to install an extended pinbox similar to those on the earlier model trailers. I have gotten responses both pro and con about this, and whether or not doing so might void the frame warranty. Unfortunately, in discussing these various issues with Montana CS, I have not yet received what I consider to be straight answers.

One thing I do know is that I could make a hard 180 degree turn with my previous Cardinal 5vr with NO clearance problem. I have been quite disappointed that I can easily have a major clearance problem when towing my new Montana.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #23
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickfox

Second, Keystone's manual clearly states that for greatest safety, both the TV and trailer should be level when towing. My new 2006 3400RL - as I have mentioned a number of times - rides high in the front.
Rick,

I’m not seeing the front high condition you are talking about in your signature picture.
I could be completely off base here but I think the Montana manual is warning about an exaggerated nose high or low condition in the range of 6" to 12". A few inches from front to back over 35’ of frame will not significantly change the load from one axle to the other. Hopefully Dale (MIMF) could shed some wisdom on this topic.

In southern Utah we saw a 5er towed behind a jacked-up 4by with monster tires. The trailer was at an extreme angle. The rear tires were bulging compared to the front due to the excessive load at that angle.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #24
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have a 2004 Silverado with the Reese conventional slider hitch towing our 2005 3400RL. We have used the slider a handful of times, but have not really needed it much. Perhaps our pinbox is longer. I will be in to see the dealer this spring and will ask. We're about six years away from another Montana but its good to keep up to date.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:29 AM   #25
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I am surprised that Montana went to the shorter pin box on their 2006 models. On the 2005's, the extended pin box was an option.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:23 AM   #26
ghuff

M.O.C. #4899
Thanks to everyone for your information and recomendations regarding the new Montana short pin box/my short bed truck (F250). It's been very helpful in giving me a better understanding of the problem and possible solutions. I'm starting to investigate the two recommended solutions of either changing to an extended pin box or the automatic super glide type hitch.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone finds out from Montana as to why they made the pin box change. I'm asking them that question, but expect the answer might be illusive.
ghuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #27
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Just a hunch, but maybe the extended pin box is imparting too much torque to the mount causing the issue in the thread “Movement between pin box and front cap”.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~12192.asp

Ken

PS: I hope I’m wrong since I have the extended pin box.
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kwbosch

Just a hunch, but maybe the extended pin box is imparting too much torque to the mount causing the issue in the thread “Movement between pin box and front cap”.

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~12192.asp

Ken

PS: I hope I’m wrong since I have the extended pin box.
Ken, that would be my hunch, too. I suspect you nailed it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #29
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have a call into my dealership about this very topic. I have the extended kingpin and after reading this and with Keystone going to a short kingpin for 34' and longer rv's I am thinking it is time to change my kingpin. I am wondering if I will be better off going with a trailair or glideride kingpin. Does anyone use either of those two kingpins with a Superglide?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #30
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I contacted keystone customer service with the same question on my 05 3400 - (should I change to the shorter king pin ?) their reply was " my king pin is correct for my unit " So if anyone finds out why they changed let us know.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #31
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening,

As some of you know, I have had a continuing discussion" with Montana CS on the topic of pin boxes and how the new design typically places most of the new trailers running high in the front. During this investigation I have collected some interesting information and thus have drawn a few conclusions of my own.

1) Typically, it is the shorter trailers that have the heavier pin weights

2) Typically, much of the increased length on the longer trailers is added behind the axles. The lengths of the short and long trailers from axle to pin box is fairly close to the same on both the long and short trailers. It is this distance (lever length in the torque equation) that is important.

3) Since the lever length of the trailer is approximately the same, and the pin weights are higher on the short trailers, the torque should be greater on the short trailers. The shorter pin boxes should thus be used on the short trailer - not the long trailers if torque were the issue. And in any case the extended pin box is only 5" longer than the standard.

My conclusion is thus that there must be other reasons - such as weight distribution - as to which pin box is used. In discussions with Montana I could not find anyone who was interested or perhaps informed enough to carry on any meaningful dialog with. And since the pin boxes are already on the frames when they arrive, perhaps the issue is best addressed to the frame manufacturer anyway.

Although there were a number of other topics and rabbit trails that I went down with Montana, the bottom line on pin boxes is that I decided to purchase and install the Glide-Ride pin box. They make both the standard and extended models. I chose the one that I thought was most appropriate for me.

Dave, on the RV.net forum I read about a guy who installed the Glide-Ride box along with his pullright. He said he had not encountered any problems as of the time of his post.

I would call Demco and ask the question of them. They have been very helpful to me.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote